Fall Trends Under $50

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

As always, I watch NYFW with the same trepidation as I do an episode of Dateline NBC. Like, I'm interested, but it's going to get pretty messy along the way. Deciphering trends from whatever whackadoo Muppet stuff designers send down the runway (and people pretend to like) is definitely a challenge. Especially if you feel pressured by the "It's called fashion, look it up" mentality.

This fall, I picked out some of the trends I really liked and then tried to match them with some options under $50 because we don't all live in NYC and consider a $2,400 pair of heels "reasonable." Observe.

1. Gingham

I love clothes that have a little masculine edge (see also: the 800 camp shirts I own) so I was happy to see gingham have a moment this year. Make it less summer-y by choosing more structured fit -- less summer dresses and more pencil skirts, if you please. It's also adorable as an accessory, so hello scarves!



2. Slouch

Yaaaas, I love me a little slouch. The trick is to balance it out with a little tightness. Try an oversized sweater with sleek jeans and boots, or layer a boyfriend cardi over a pencil skirt and heels. Makes sense for fall, right? Like comfy and whatever? Love. 


3. Longer Hems

We've seen the whole "midi" length before, but this year's incarnation isn't as drastic as last year's (presumably because longer hems make everyone look short). Instead, aim for the spot just below your knee and go sleek -- a tighter skirt or an a-line with a structured blazer. And heels. Always heels. Don't fool yourself into thinking you look vintage with a midi skirt and flats. You'll just end up looking short.


4. Winter Pastel 

Weird, right? Usually fall is all about jewel tones, but icy colors are kind of having a moment right now. Which is awesome for us pink, cool-toned girls, since we look good in those colors anyway. Just avoid overly girly silhouettes or you'll end up looking like a giant ice baby. Want extra points? Team winter pastels with gold and go for icy rather than Easter. 


5. Chunky Knit

I know, I know: Knits for fall are about as new as florals for spring. But still, who doesn't love a cozy sweater when the temp gets cold (Sorry, Arizona). Look for a thinner knit, but a slouchier shape, if that makes any sense at all. And, if the thought of knits on your body make you itchy, a hat or scarf will do just fine.
So, what do we think? Any trend you want to try or is there one you hate? Also, does everyone else feel the same about Dateline too? Seriously I get sucked in every time. Who!? Who committed the grisly crime in Colorado in 1983? I must know this now. 

4 comments:

Allison Hill said...

I don't think I could do winter pastels. I'm sure I'd do it wrong. Plus the fact that I wait all year for fall colors, I'm not going to give it up. Chunky knits though, I'm super stoked about. I just bought an infinity scarf like that and I can't wait to wear it.

Beth said...

I love the winter pastel, something I didn't consider!

Jae said...

Right? I love finding something that's actually wearable in all the craziness. I think some winter pastel would be super refreshing in like, that awful January post-holiday slump that happens.

And yes, chunky knits forevvvvver.

Nathaly Blalock said...

I commented on this yesterday but it looks like it didn't go through. I have a mint green dress the same exact color as the one you posted. I never wear it because it feels like too much of one color. But I can't figure out what to wear with it. Thoughts?

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.