5 Non-Trashy, Super Easy Costume Ideas

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I think one of the reasons that women dress like straight-up strippers on Halloween is the fact that there's really not a lot of non-trashy options out there. Go to any Halloween costume site and click on "Women" and literally every option will involve boobs and fishnets.

Which have their place, just not at the school Halloween carnival, thanks.

So I went on the hunt for some of the funnest costume ideas that you know, don't degrade your entire gender group. I found some genius ideas just by searching "non-skanky Halloween," but here are some of my favorites.

Rita from Arrested Development



I would actually love to go as Lindsay, my favorite character from Arrested Development, but alas, this is her best-known look, which probably isn't appreciated while handing out candy.

But remember Rita? She was by far my favorite guest character arc on the show, and her clothes were THE BEST. If you'll remember, Michael dated Rita, thinking she was fun and spirited, when she actually had special needs.

Basically, you'll need:
-Your kid's tiara
-A mini backpack
-A loud, flowered shirt that doesn't match in any way shape or form
-Striped leggings
-A tutu

Basically, you'll look like an adult dressed in child clothes. If you really want to hit it home, hang a sign that says "For British Eyes Only" around your neck. I love an obscure costume that only fans will get.

A Real Housewife


This would be friggin brilliant, especially if your friends are Real Housewives lovers like me. 
 
Use the following:
-Cocktail dress
-A streaky fake tan (use something that washes off after one use)
-Huge hair and jewelry

Carry around an orange and a cocktail dress and slur your words and you are good to go. Getting into verbal fights and using common cliches improperly are bonuses. 

The SunDrop Girl


No shame in my game: This was my fave costume of all time, but mostly because it allowed be to booty dance to Drop it Like it's Hot, which is my second favorite song of all time. Plus it was super easy to throw together at the last minute.

-SunDrop shirt, which I got at WalMart.
-Jean shorts. Or "jorts" if you will.
-Black tights
-Leg warmers
-Red shoes

Here's the original commercial I used for this one. It was SO. FUN. 

Paper Bag Princess


I'm obsessed with this costume idea because it would be TOO adorable, especially if you were helping out in your kid's class for Halloween. I would just wear tights with it.

-Paper bag from grocery store (I think it would be easy to grab a few and tape them together)
-Card stock crown -- remember to turn down the edges! 
-Makeup -- to make it look like you're dirty. 

Just scuff up the paper and the crown a little and you are good to go. It would be also super fun to carry around a dragon, if you had one. Not a real one though. You're not Daenerys. Although that would also be a fun costume.

Fashion Blogger


Alison over at Wardrobe Oxygen nailed this look and it would be super simple to recreate. Just mix fabrics and add statement necklaces until you look like a total caricature of yourself. Boom. Blogger.

Just make sure to pose for a million "candid" pictures and never let that Starbucks cup leave your paws, ever. 


And remember, when in doubt, remember that it's NOT OKAY that guys get to dress up and have fun and women are supposed to suck in their stomachs and look like sexpots for what should actually be a holiday for children.

 If your husband suggests a sexy costume, suggest that you turn the tables.




 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Bahahaa love the Sundrop Girl pose and the fashion blogger. Um, are we staying away from dressing like, here it comes, hipsters this year?

Jae said...

I loved my hipster costume, but it got me in trouble. Add that to the list of people I upset:
-Capri wearers
-Yoko Ono fans
-Hipsters

Heather said...

When we were first dating my now husband wanted to do a couples costume, but we couldn't agree on anything. So we finally settled on Tarzan and Jane....well, I sew.... I made myself a super cute one shoulder dress out of fuzzy cheetah fabric and I made him a matching loin cloth with a chest strap. We went to a party and he got an award for "least dressed." All the more funny because they prefaced giving out the award by saying, "Usually this award goes to a girl, but not this year!" haha!

Allison Hill said...

I'm all about steampunk, so Halloween is when I let my freak flag fly. I confess, I may or may not, dress up more than one time...but I have more than one corset! What am I supposed to do! However, before you judge, I never let the girls loose--always totally covered! I'm not that freaky, thanks. And this year I got new copper goggles...VERY EXCITED

Wendy said...

Rita! Oh, Rita would be adorbs!

Jennifer Wells said...

I thought about this today. Making fun of women for dressing stripper-y isn't about "slut-shaming" such as the e-mails you received suggested. It's more because trying so hard to be sexy, sexy, SEXY makes it look like you can't really have fun. It's like the woman who doesn't want to play with her kids in the swimming pool because she doesn't want to mess up her hair.

Jae said...

Nora, agreed. I just get annoyed at the bastardization of random characters so they have an excuse to show some cleavage. It's pretty ridiculous. Honestly, for all the flack I took for slut-shaming, I feel like actual feminists don't need an "excuse" to dress a certain way. They'd just do it. Like, if you want to dress sexy for Halloween, go as something that could actually be construed as sexy, you know? SpongeBob doesn't really count.

Allison, that actually sounds superbly awesome!

Heather, bahaha yes! I love it! Let the men take over on this one ;)

Beth said...

HAHAHAHA! I love Michael Phelps as a watermelon! I love it!

Jenny Evans said...

Google "sexy Olaf costume." I dare you.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.