Freaky Friday

Friday, August 1, 2014

I had to go and register my kids for school yesterday and now I'm dreaming of a marathon Back to School shopping trip with my daughter (thank goodness I have one because seriously). Where do you guys do most of your B2S clothes shopping? I'm planning on checking out H&M and F21 for leggings and pants and then I usually do jeans from Old Navy and Gap because my 8 year old still needs an adjustable waist. Poor thing is shaped just like me: Her legs start like, directly beneath her armpits so it's impossible to find pants that fit.

My son doesn't care what I buy him. He has three shirts with pictures of sharks and just rotates through them. I'm hoping to find two more shark shirts so he doesn't try and wear the same one to school twice each week.

Anyway, I'm interested in where everyone else goes! But for now, lets get our freak on (ugh that was such an annoying thing to say).


 Kimberly sent these along. I've featured bones leggings before, by my favorite part was that these were called "empire waist." How can pants be empire waist? Explain this to me. Please.

And here we have some shoes that were made by blind orphans in...
...what's that? They were made by a seeing adult?

Well, this is awkward.


 This came from a J.Crew ad (obviously) and I was like hey, I know everyone worships J.Crew and all, but what is this look called exactly? 

Hippyfoot Business Lady Sailor? 

Sort yourself out, J.Crew.


 Corinna found this... garment.... in an in-flight magazine. The best part is that you can wear it any way your psychiatric hospital will allow you, as seen here

AT LEAST designers are getting smarter and putting zippers in the backs of these monstrosities. I mean, you'll still look like a demented Rainbow Brite, but at least you'll be able to get out of them quickly when you realize it. 

 Stephanie sent me a sweater that looks like a Muppet made sweet love to that old rug your Grandma won't give away. 

 Just in case you're hoping to live out your fantasies of being a formal jellyfish. 

 So Leigh emailed me and APPARENTLY, grown women in the South are wearing these pants and they are status symbols somehow? 

Can I just voice my opinion now? I hate any trend that "little girlifies" women. I also hate ribbon embellishments, excessive usage of bows and when grown women wear Saltwaters. Anytime I see women dressing in twee clothes, it makes them look like chubby, tantrum-throwing toddlers. So these ruffle pants are an abomination to me. 

I just picture a crazy stage mom who is like "Oh, my and my little Paisley are more like SISTERS than mother and daughter, right Payz?"

Cue Paisley emancipating herself from her deranged mother. 



And speaking of twee shoes for grown women:
I hope you like bananas to be this devoted to Chiquita. 



OK, yes. Back to school shopping and dreaming about what it will be like when both kids are in school and I have three glorious hours to myself each morning.  

Who am I kidding: I'll watch the Today show and think about working out until I hear the bus rumble up the street. 

10 comments:

Christine said...

As the mom of 3 boys (and no girls) who are all super skinny and love graphic tees, the majority of our back to school shopping is done at Old Navy.

I wish they made adjustable waist jeans in adult lengths - my 14yo is way too tall for kids jeans, but his waist is too small for most men's sizes, and he thinks the 'jeans half way down your butt' look is stupid (yay). So belts will be at the top of the list when we buy him jeans - which will be the day before he needs them because the kid just *won't*stop*growing. Anything I buy him now will be too short come October.

Unknown said...

Well, I'm drawing unwanted attention to myself b/c I just read this post while sitting in the post-op area after my mom's surgery. I need to not read your blog anyplace that I can't laugh out loud. Have a great weekend 😍

Wendy said...

That garment found in-flight is just frightening! And I love "Sort yourself out, JCrew." HA!

BTS shopping with my 16-yr old graphic tee (no designer labels needed) daughter will be Plato's Closet, Old Navy, and Target. The 18-yr old is on her own this year (yay for pt jobs & college!).

Jenna Foote said...

I like Crazy 8 and Target. You should check Crazy 8 -- they have those adjustable waistbands too. And lots of shark shirts.

Anonymous said...

Fun post today! I always love Freaky Friday. Back to school shopping??? Bahahahah! I don't have to do that anymore. No more buying 10 pairs of shoes - indoor and outdoor for 5 kids. No more remortgaging my house to outfit you guys :-).
Now having said that, I'm going shopping in the Watertown, NY. outlet stores tomorrow....for me and dad.

Unknown said...

Gaaah, I had bone graft surgery on my face yesterday and every image on today's post gave me laughter and pain at the same time (ouch!). Those rainbow, gladiator, caged, boots items will haunt me forever. I just know I will dream of the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang wearing these and trying to catch me tonight. Oh the humanity.

Heidi J said...

Yes! I agree about the problem with too cutesy women's clothes. For that reason I also avoid tiny floral prints - Clinton Kelly on What Not to Wear said they would make most women look like 8-yr-olds with thyroid conditions - not the look I'm going for ...
For back to school shopping, I like Kohls and JC Penney, esp when they are having a big sale (which is every day, I think). Don't forget to look for online coupon for your phone - so many stores do that now!
I am envious of the long leg problem, because my body is 90% torso. But we all have our challenges!

IandS said...

I have all boys but they are in serious need of adjustable waist pants. I shop at Crazy 8 and The Children's Place - both have A.W. pants.
Also Target and H&M for kid clothes that are cheap because they are sure to be smeared in glue/marker/lunch on the first day ;)
Stacey

Unknown said...

I live in small town Idaho Falls, Idaho so I do a ton of shopping online. For back to school I like Target, Old Navy, Gap, Children's Place, Justice, Abercrombie Kids, H & M, Forever 21 girls, Lands End, Kohls, JCPenney, and Macy's. I recently found Zara kids and thought I haven't ordered anything, they have a few cute things.

Can I just say that I like a print over a graphic tee, even for kids? Sorry, not sorry.

Allison Hill said...

My daughter has legs for days as well. She's 12 and as tall as I am so she's graduated to adult stores but my go to for jeans used to be Justice-any fit any style and usually on a great sale.

Also I love and miss H&M. We don't have it here so I went 5 times in Ireland to make up for it. I only bought one LBD in those 5 visits but they made me happy.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.