How to: Style Cropped Pants

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

We all know how I feel about capris (see here if you don't and you also want to see one of the most epic throw-downs on HNTDLAM history [second only to the Yoko Ono fight])

I later had to clarify the question of length. I hate capris because they traditionally cut across the widest part of the leg and that sucks and makes legs look wide and short. I don't, however, mind a good pair of cropped pants, which cut across the slimmer part of your legs.

So, when reader Beth asked about styling cropped pants, I decided to make up some outfit ideas. As much as for me as for you, because I have a few pairs of cropped pants and I sometimes forget I even have them so I don't wear them as much as I could.

A few rules for crops before we start:

1. I like a colored crop. I have a hard time seeing myself actually purchasing like, regular blue denim crops because if I wanted those, I'd just cuff my regular skinny jeans. So, when I do buy crops, I tend to go for colored skinnies instead.

2. That's the thing: They should be skinny. No flared or wide-leg crops. They mess up proportion, and because crops visually shorten the leg, any added width is going to make a huge difference.

3. Crops should cut across the smaller part of your calf. You can also do like, ankle-length, too. On an average 5'5" woman, that means the inseam will probably be around 25 inches, but don't quote me on that.

4. Flat fronts always. Never pleats. Don't do that to yourself.

Now, because a good pair of crops should be skinny, the rest of your outfit is a question of balance. While I won't hate on you if you wear crops with flip flops and T-shirt, I don't think it's going to be the most flattering way to wear them, you know? Instead, layering and volume on top will look best.

Another awesome thing about crops? They're the PERFECT way to show off some seriously cute shoes. That makes me very happy indeed.

Here are a couple of ideas.

Casual:



Untitled #250


This is obviously more of a fall outfit, but you get the idea. A little more heft on top helps to balance out the slim line of the leg, while a boat shoe exposes more of the foot, so you look a smidgen taller. I love this as a "Running errands and picking up kids" look. It's put together but also pretty effortless, so it doesn't look forced. And, when it cools off, you can throw on a denim jacket and it's uber cute. Crops are a natural pairing for layering.

Dressy:


Untitled #251



Hi, cutest date night look ever. I love love love crops with a blazer -- it's like a playful version of a suit. But look for a boyfriend blazer that isn't super-tight. When you wear like, cropped blazers with cropped pants, it just looks like you had a growth spurt and grew out of your clothes.

Like I said before, use crops to show off your cute shoe collection. My husband scolds me when I wear heels on date night but I'm like hey, I'm eating and sitting in a movie theater. It's the perfect time to wear completely insensible shoes, right? If you're shorter and worried about your legs looking stubby, swap out for some pointy-toes shoes and you're golden.


So there you go. Cropped pants are one of those totally wearable trends that can go from summer to fall. If you're like "Jae, for reals?" Try it out on a pair of regular skinny jeans. Cuff them to your ankle and put on a pair of heels and a blouse-y top and see how you feel. Try before you buy, folks.

What do you think? Yay or nay to crops?


8 comments:

MPES PFA said...

I'm on the taller side (5'8" and change) so I LOVE crops if only because I don't have to worry about length so much. Rand-o tip for the taller girls: buying your regular style in "short" often results in a pretty decent ankle/cropped length.

I'd love to see you style some crops for the bajillion degree hot streak we're currently experiencing up here in the Great White North (<irony).

Unknown said...

Yes to all of this, Jae. Short pants have got to be skinny and they've got to hit at the smallest part of your leg. I want to print this and hand it out to all of the women on the train.

Unknown said...

Totally agree! I like cropped pants, and despise capris. Why would anyone want to wear pants that make them look shorter?!?
I have several pair of cropped pants and for some reason I don't wear them as often as jeans. I think, like you said, I just forget they're there. I need to start pulling them out more.
Linda Loui- Your comment made me LOL!

Anonymous said...

I'm 5'2", so maybe capris are my crops!

Why did the word "crops" just sound gross to me?

Heidi J said...

Love both of these outfits - adorable! Can't wait for fall and jackets ... which starts around November here in Phoenix. Oh well. :). Love crops, finally got rid of my super-frumpy Levi's capri's - decided I didn't even want to paint in them.

Morgan Hagey said...

Ever since you declared capris a no go, I've sworn them off. I've not ventured into crops. I'm intrigued.

Unknown said...

Love both of these looks and am sooo happy I bought a pair of red CROP pants on clearance a few weeks ago....thanks for the great ideas. Love your styling....

Rachael Cain said...

Yes, I am obsessed with cropped pants. They somehow make me feel more dainty, which is saying a lot because generally I trudge around like a big ogre.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.