Beauty Review: Younique Moonstruck 3D Fiber Lashes

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A lot of my friends have permanent eyelash extensions. And they all look amazing, but I've never been able to commit to them for a bunch of reasons. First is that I just don't have the time: Fills take a few hours every couple of weeks and seriously, there's no way I could do that. Another issue is that I know that they can be damaging and I'm hyper-vain about my eyelashes. I love them. I would never do anything to jeopardize the deep and lasting relationship we have.

Also, the idea of sitting in a chair for a couple of hours, talking to a stranger who is poking at my eyes is actually horrifying to me. Social anxiety FTW!

So when reader Janica offered to send me some of Younique's 3D Fiber Lashes, I was super excited to try 'em on. I'd seen them around before, read some reviews, but never pulled the trigger.

But, I can officially tell you that I'm kind of a convert now.

It's a two-step product. After putting on your usual mascara (I wear this) you put on a sealant, then the fibers (which are made from green tea) and then the sealant again. All in all, it's about a one-minute process and I did get some killer results. Here are some before and afters (and some obscenely close shots of my face because you know, THAT'S what you want to see at 9am on a Wednesday):

 The first shot is without anything. The second, with mascara only and the third, with the fiber lashes. RIGHT!? Right.

Moral of the story: I heart these forever and I'm not just saying that because someone gifted them to me.

When I read reviews, most were positive, but a couple had some issues. After a couple of days of trial and error, I have some tips for people trying fiber lashes.

1) Don't wait forever for your mascara to dry before you put them on. The instructions say it should be dry, but I had better results when it was just *barely* dried. Like, a minute after putting it on.

2) DO NOT try and put on more than one coat of fibers at a time. The first time I put them on, I did the blinky thing I do when putting on regular mascara and I think it deposited too many fibers and they were prone to clumping flake-age. The next time, I did one sweep and that was it. And it was perfect.

I think both clumping and flaking was a concern with online reviews, but I'm pretty convinced people are putting them on too thick when they flake off. Think thin, people!

3) If you want another layer of fibers, you still need to put on the sealant, wait for it to dry AND THEN add another (singular) coat of fibers. These pics are just one coat though, so I really think one is plenty.

4) My only complaint with these bad boys is the fact that if you were, by chance, a day napper (uh, not that I am or anything) that waking up with these after falling asleep in front of Say Yes to the Dress at 3pm, they might be a little sticky.

But that's like, just a theory and stuff.

5) If you're an eyelash curler (like, someone who curls your eyelashes and not an actual eyelash curler because what are you doing on the Internet, beauty tool?) do so carefully. I found that any creases or missed spots were magnified after I put the fibers on.

Anyway, I can't remember the last time I had so much fun with a product. I'm a mascara junkie anyhow, so it was fun to play around with something that made such a huge difference.

Seriously check these babies out.


 Here they are in natural, non-crappy bathroom lighting and with a hat that I bought that I'm not very sure about just yet.

Anyway, if I were rating these, I'd probably give them like, an 8.5. I found them to be extremely effective, but there is a learning curve to using them.

If you're interested in giving them a shot, you can buy the Moonstruck 3D Fiber Lashes here

Yay for Minnie Mouse eyelashes and fun products! 

10 comments:

MPES PFA said...

hmmm a girlfriend of mine tried them and I found they looked like they had a LOT of mascara caked on. Based on your description maybe that was just the "too thick"/flaking issue. I spend "too" much time on my lashes every morning (I have tons of teensy side lashes and it makes a big difference to give them extra attention) but I can't imagine having to add at least three MORE steps. Would you consider them a good alternative to falsies for special occasions?

Anonymous said...

Roughly how long do they stay put? Is it possible to sleep in them?

Jae said...

Yeah I probably wouldn't wear them every day, but they're super fun (and less fussy) than falsies for like, date night, GNO, etc. I would still do falsies for really special occassions, like weddings.

But yeah, putting just one tiny coat on vs clumping on made a HUGE difference in how they looked. You can also comb 'em out, but I didn't have to.

Nora, I wore them from about 10 to 10 yesterday and I did one touch up and they were totally fine. I don't think they would be sleep-able though -- I just took them off with my normal face washing routine.

Unknown said...

I have this and I love it too! I totally agree about the thin coats, my eyelashes start getting all stuck together and spider leg-ish if I put it on too thick.
Love the hat btw, I'm super into hats lately.

Mrs. Haney's 2nd Grade Class said...

Hey ladies! If you have a problem with clumping, you are definitely either putting them on too thick, or using the wrong mascara as a base coat. You don't want to start with a volumizing mascara. (I actually just use the Younique gel, let it dry, then apply the gel, fibers, gel as described). Also, just go about half way down the lash. I am telling you, you will be HOOKED!!!! www.mad3dLashes.com

AmyG said...

I am going to give them a second chance. . I must be putting on too thick. . Flaking is an issue and 20 mins later I have raccoon eyes

AmyG said...

I am going to give them a second chance. . I must be putting on too thick. . Flaking is an issue and 20 mins later I have raccoon eyes

Unknown said...

I'm currently in bed and forgot to take my mascara off will I have fibers in my eyes in the morning or will it hurt when I wake up xx

robertdecosta86@gmail.com said...

Hi there,

Oho Lashe Beauty Parlour. I went to there for my first eyelash extensions, and they were absolutely perfect. The best way to cleanse the lash line is to use warm water (previously boiled) and add a few drops of baby shampoo. Using a cotton bud or lint free cleansing applicator wipe along the lash line several times to give it a good clean, this will help to clean away any bacteria or debris that has built up. Ideally this should be done daily but at least 2 to 3 times a week. See more at-: permanent eyelash extensions

You are most welcome
Rose Daina

Ledyard Asset Limited said...

Hi Rose
I know every good product is choiced by the users if you want to get the TOP permanent eyelash extensions training. So look forward to more-Eyelash Extension Training

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.