5 Tips for Transitioning Your Wardrobe with Your Age

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

So I just had my big 3-0 birthday. I had a lot of warning beforehand that it can be a bit touchy, but I honestly haven't had much of a problem with it. I am like, 12 in my brain so it never really occurs to me to be too broken up about getting older.

But while I don't mind getting older, I do mind consistently getting mistaken for a teenager, especially in awkward situations when people come to my door and ask if my mom is home. And I say no and shut the door.

In the last year, I've noticed a pretty decided shift in the way I dress. I've definitely dialed down and defined my style a little more and ditched some of the bad tendencies I had when I was younger (Ugh, Forever 21, I'm looking at you). I've bought less stuff, but I feel like the things I've purchased both represent me better as a person and help me look a little more like my actual age.

Don't get me wrong: There are some youthful aspects of my clothes that I'll find hard to give up. I have a pair of gray and neon Nike high tops that make me look 13 and I still own a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle shirt and I'm OK with that. But otherwise, I'm over chasing trends and more into creating a style that makes sense for my age and my personality.

Here are some tips that I've picked up along the way.

1. Refine Your Natural Tastes


 I've loved graphic tees since the 10th grade, when my friends talked me into buying my first fitted T-shirt. It was purple and said "Whatever." Why am I telling you this?

If I'm not careful, I can veer to quirky territory: I have an owl shirt that says "Read" on it and I love things that I can't find anywhere else. And since I'll always gravitate toward graphics, I've learned to refine that natural inclination by going for more subdued patterns and graphics. I don't need to wear a monkey on my shirt for people to see that I'm original. This flag shirt is a fave, as well as my "Suffragette" shirt that is kind of quirky without making me look like I'm dressing myself for the first time.






2. Invest in Quality 

I feel like I kind of beat this point to death, but I can't say how much my spending habits have changed when it's come to investing in quality over quantity. Hey, I love a good deal: But my eye is more practiced to what really constitutes a good deal. If I grab something off the sale rack that shrinks or falls apart after one washing, it's not a bargain anymore. Instead, I watch for sales at my favorite stores that I know will sell quality stuff. 

And remember, some discount stores (Target, for example) has quality stuff in capsule collections on the reg. I've also had great luck shopping sales for brands like Vince Camuto, Mango, Kensie, Calvin Klein and Dorothy Perkins, where I've bought stuff that has held up beautifully. 

Don't automatically think quality=expensive. Instead, look for details and tailoring that look expensive: A trendy, slouchy top covered in sequins from F21 will look cheap next to a clean, streamlined jacket that you scored on a summer sale, even if they were comparable in costs.



3. Buy Basics with a Twist 

Don't make the mistake of thinking that maturity has to mean boredom in your wardrobe. Lately, I've been on the lookout for basics that have an extra pop. I love buying things like blazers and button-ups: I love a more tailored style. So I bought this button-up in a bright coral and a blazer with leather sleeves and you get the same basic effect but with a little personality.

Some of my fave pieces are basics with a cool color, some out-of-the-box embellishments, or even a cool texture (my black leopard blazer, for example). You don't have to just lay down and be like "OK, it's cat sweater territory for me now."

While you might feel a little too old to wear chartreuse booty shorts (and trust me, we ALL are, so go with your gut on that one) if you're in love with the color, find it in a tailored shirt or a belt and you can still inject some personality into your closet.






4. Add Accessories


One area that you can stay pretty young in your wardrobe is accessories. Seriously, I will never judge anyone who is going younger in shoes and jewelry, unless it's like jelly sandals. No one over the age of four should wear jelly sandals.

But a super fun platform heel or a leopard scarf? Please, be my guest! Because accessories are such a small part of the outfit, you don't have to worry about being "too old" to pull a patterned scarf off. You can. And you will.

So if you're totally lusting after a trendy style, see if you can find it in a smaller dose to add to your wardrobe without like, reliving your entire childhood.





5. Pay Attention to Fit 


 Okay, I will be kind of picky and judgey on this one point: We (and I mean anyone who writes, reads or relates to this blog) are too old to be wearing clothes that don't fit.

I don't care if it's too small or too big, clothes that don't fit properly give a distorted view of your body. I have a friend who has a rockin' bod but tends to wear clothes too big for her. When she did try something on that actually fit I was like "HOLY CRAP you're hot." But she didn't even know because she was always hiding in too-big stuff.

The same goes for clothes too small. You might desperately want to fit into your pre-preg jeans, but if they don't flatter, what's the point? Only you know what the number is on the tag, right? Why not finally buy a pair that make you feel amazing?

The truth is that when clothes fit perfectly, they enhance your body and make you feel better. Clothes are not solely to hide the fact that you're naked underneath. They should do something for you.

So, how do you start wearing clothes that actually fit? First, get rid of stuff that you're hanging onto because it fit "once upon a time." Then, start grabbing a few basics here and there that fit impeccably. A pair of jeans, a pencil skirt and a jacket are great places to start because they'll act as a foundation for everything else.

Remember that not all clothes are going to fit you right off the rack and that's totally fine. Steel yourself and try again -- brands vary wildly on sizing and fit, so you can't get discouraged in one store. Instead, try a place that will have a number of fits and brands -- I like department stores, obviously -- so you can start dialing in on a few brands that fit your body best so you have a starting point and go from there.

Obviously we're all different ages and it's impossible to make sweeping rules for everyone, but if you focus on maturing your style through fit, quality and accessories, you won't get stuck looking like a total caricature of your high school self, you know.

Which is awesome, because I was a friggin' awkward teenager. I don't want to go back to that place.

What do you guys think: Do you change your style with age? Give me your best tips for transition - take pity on me, I'm 30!



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy birthday! I hope you had a fantastic 30th, my 30th birthday was my favourite (it helped that I was working in Cuba and had a party on the most beautiful beach ever!) so my 40th in November has a LOT to live up to. I think your 30s is a fantastic time to understand your style a little better and not go crazy after every trend, but instead you get to be choosy. And it is amazing to be choosy!!!!

Heidi J said...

Happy Birthday! I'm 46, so this advice might not apply to you yet, but I am always on the hunt for 2 things: shoes that comfortable but look cute and jewelry that is unique and not too expensive but does not look cheap.

Anonymous said...

Should I be frightened that I could talk to you about this post for a really long time?

I'm almost 37, and for me, "dressing my age" means that I like a little more subtlety with colors. I like bright colors, but chosen more carefully.

Jae, I'm in love with all of the graphic t-shirts that you own, judging by your description. I think your "Suffragette" t-shirt should have the word "City" added to it. If you like Bowie, that is.

Also, there's a place in my heart for the kind of person who does wear the kookier slogans, if it's genuine. I like weirdos.

Micha said...

This is something that has been on my mind for a while. I'm 38, am still rebounding from baby #3, and am finally realizing that some of the things I thought I loved are so not right for me now. It really came to me through my hair - as I try all the updo's I've pinned and feel I look either matronly or little I'm trying to fit in at my daughter's middle school.

I like your list but I would also add fabrics to it. I can no longer pull off the same slinky fabrics I could ten years ago - not just because of the way they fit but the mood they portray. They just aren't me anymore. I'd much rather have a few high quality pieces that flatter than a bunch of mediocre crap like I have now.

Jae said...

Ah so true, Micha. It took a long time for me to learn that buying a bunch of so-so cheap crap wasn't going to cut it. But I think people hear that and think "Oh, I Have to spend a ton of money." But if you have a good eye for fabric and quality, you can totally score great stuff on sale or even from cheaper stores, but it still looks high quality and expensive.

Nora, I feel like we would be excellent shopping partners.

Heidi: Totally agree on the jewelry thing too. I don't buy very much because I found myself reaching for the same pieces over and over again and I think that's totally kosher when they aren't like, giant plastic beads.

Avril, yes. Choosy is beautiful.

Allison Hill said...

Happy Birthday! I loved this post. My style keeps evolving as I grow up (I'm 32) and change jobs and move around the country. I'm trying to define "me", and that only seems possible in certain climates. :/ as I now live on the surface of the sun (east Tennessee) I have to figure out a way to make it work in the summer too.

That was rambly, but it all made sense in my head.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.