The Rule of Three: Leather Jacket Edition

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

OK, let's get back to the clothes because you're here to talk about jeans, not my trip to Disneyland.

I am a compulsive shopper, in case you didn't realize. I've been a compulsive shopper since I was a teenager and got my glorious first job and with it, my first paycheque. There was a shoe store near my work and on break, my friend and I would walk over and shop. I think that job probably cost me money.

Because I KNOW I'm prone to making compulsive purchases (seriously, remember my neon stripe wedges from last year?) I try and follow what I call my "rule of three." Before I consider purchasing an item, I have to think up three outfits on the spot in which that item would work. I do this to make sure I'm not buying something just to buy something AND make sure that what I'm getting will actually work with the stuff I already own. Because there's no point in buying something you're not going to wear.

Therefore, I thought it would be a fun feature to do a "rule of three" post, showing three outfits using the very same item. I'm starting with a leather jacket but if you have any pieces you want to send my way, I'd be happy to throw some outfits together.

Now, first is the jacket itself. Start with some good bones -- everyone should have a good leather or faux leather jacket that has a feminine cut -- no boxiness. I like biker collars and moto is really cool too. And, while I might own a few jackets in bright colors, always start with a neutral. Black or tan are the most versatile colors, which mean you'll get the most use out of 'em. I have a red leather jacket that is adorable... and that I rarely ever wear.

Super Casual





Wearing a leather jacket with jeans and flats is practically a uniform for me. It's easy to change up the shirt and accessories, but the jacket finishes off the outfit and gives it a mucho coolness factor. This is something I'd wear running kids to school, grocery shopping and having lunch with friends. (Another reason I like neutral or tan leather -- it matches EVERYTHING).

Date Night




I think we can all agree that leather jackets are basically too cool for school, which is why I wear one on practically every date night my husband and I go on. I like to dress up a little for dinner and a movie, so pairing a jacket with a graphic tank and black jeans is awesome. (Note: I like my leather pants, but a leather jacket with leather pants might make you look like a biker which is all well and good until you're kidnapped into a biker gang and then they find out you bought your jacket from Dorothy Perkins and things get awkward).

Boots for date night are my favorite. They're dressier than flats, but also don't cause faceplanting like heels might. Hey, I love heels, but if I can get away with looking dressy without 'em, I will.

Dressed Up



Don't forget that a leather jacket is killer with dresses and skirts -- trust me. I especially super love them with girly patterns and colors, like pinks, grays and florals. If you're not into pencil dresses, this would look equally as adorable with an A-line skirt, too. Add some tights and closed-toe shoes because it's still March no matter what the swimsuit display at Forever 21 says, and you're good to go.

If you have any other pieces that you love but are super clueless on how to wear, send 'em to my email, which is over there on the right-hand side.

Seriously, if you don't have a leather jacket in your closet, you need to buy one. So versatile it's ridiculous. If you're still in the market for one, obviously Dorothy Perkins is a great place to start and they ship to the United States. Other jacket brands I love:
Guess 
Steve Madden
Calvin Klein (great options for plus sizes)
F21 for tight budgets
American Rag

Happy (non compulsive) Shopping!



13 comments:

Jennifer Wells said...

Yeah, whatever. More Disney!

Ha, kidding. I think the red leather jacket might be good for date night. Am I on to something?

Jae said...

Good call! I love my red leather... but half the time I forget I have it lol!

Anonymous said...

I thought the "Rule of Three" would be more like, "Don't wear three of the same things."

I once nearly walked out of the house wearing black leather boots, a black leather purse, and a black leather jacket. I was really glad I stopped myself! After grabbing my riding crop, that made four, so everything was okay and I was out the door without a care!

Unknown said...

The only thing that I would recommend is that the sleeves are removable, so if you plan on wearing it, you may want to get it sewed on to avoid them from moving out of place.
Vera Wang Bridal

Unknown said...

leather shirts Our motto is, To us a customer is the most important person in our business. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. We provide leather shirts that come in 29 different types of styles designed to fulfill our customers every leather kink and fetish.

Unknown said...

I foolishly sacrificed my old leather jacket in the move and now I'm on the hunt for a new one, which seems never ending! Happy Shopping .

Unknown said...

Leather jackets are really good and fashionable because that is always better and unique for some good resone we need to make sure that we are fashionable and unique getmyleather

Carol said...

When everybody find an perfect leather jacket. They must be a slim and smart.
buygarciniacambogia

Unknown said...

it's hard to select any designers jackets online, there are so many designs available and really hard to select 1 from. ;)

Mussawir said...

Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue, so thanks for posting. Pretty cool post. Achasoda B2B Marketplace

calvin harris said...

Very well said, your blog says it all about that particular topic. Gisinsulation

calvin harris said...

I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. Turmeric Facial Cleanser

calvin harris said...

Excellent! I thank you your input to this matter. It has been insightful. jeffrey leonard attorney

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.