February Roundup

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Last night my parents took us out to dinner at Tucano's, a Brazilian BBQ place. It's where they just literally bring you skewers of meat and carve it onto your plate until you beg for mercy. I still feel full and just want to loaf around all day, so... I will. They're flying out this afternoon and that officially checks off everything I had on my packed calendar. Er... until Friday at least.

In the meantime, here's a quick recap of all the crap we did in February. Because, you know, inquiring minds and such.

First it was my little A's birthday - he turned five and is the man.

 Oh hey super stud. We had to go to church on his birthday and I felt bad so he got to wear a Batman ribbon. 

 I used to spend like, a day, making my kids' birthday cakes. They were these huge undertakings that usually involved several tiers and fondant. And then I realized that I hated it and stopped doing it. This took about 20 minutes and a Batman symbol I printed off of the computer. And lots of sprinkles. 

My daughter got a store-bought cake. Pinterest would be ASHAMED. 

The next weekend, we made our way to California, with a brief stop in St. George. We've been tossing around the idea of looking into condos down there, so we spent some time checking out models. But then also eating, swimming and shopping. 

We also went to the dino museum for the millionth time. 
My kids like it and therefore, we go. Here they are watching a scintillating cartoon video about fossils while I looked at Instagram. 

Excellent behavior, as always. 

When Justin wants to leave, he wants to leave. 

After our night in St. G (I'm starting a trend, let's all call it that) we broke the news to our kids that were going to Disneyland, which we had somehow manage to keep secret. 


She just has a lot of feelings. 


After that, it was off to DL.

Can I just talk for a minute about my mixed feelings about Disney? Being from Canada (Toronto is right above New York State) and have four brothers, we never went to Disneyland. It would have been too far and too expensive with our family. We did a lot of traveling, but it was mostly to Eastern Canada. SO I kind of always thought about DL as one of those "childhood" things that I'd missed out on. So naturally, when I had kids I felt like we needed to do it too. So we waited until we thought ours were the ideal age to go and finally booked the trip.

And I kind of thought it would be more magical. Like I'd sit back and think about how many special memories we'd make and our kids are only young once and blah blah feelings. But after three days I was kind of done and kind of glad it was over. Is that bad? Am I crappy human?

I'm glad we checked it off our parenting "to do" list but it will be a long while before I ever consider it again.


Stuff I liked:
-Our hotel. We stayed at the Paradise Pier and it was lovely and perfect and there was good room service and a pool that made my kids very happy. 
-Cars Land. My son is all about McQueen, so it was a big deal. And it was adorable. Also, we got the McQueen car on Radiator Springs Racers and I thought he might actually pass out. 
-California Adventure in general was cool. There was tons of stuff, shorter lines and a really good Chinese food place. I was a fan. 

Stuff I didn't like:
-Actual Disneyland. I thought it would be more spread out? Instead I felt like it was super congested and I got crazy claustrophobic. 
-The Roger Rabbit ride. Shoot me in the face. 
-The Bug's Life movie, which made my children scream and cry to the point that I thought Andrew was going to have a nervous breakdown and we'd have to invest in counseling. 



I feel grinchy admitting that it really wasn't my thing. Like I said, am I glad we did it once? Yeah. But we usually spend our vacations down in San Diego and I think we had as much, if not more, fun there. I think we're just lazy travelers. When I go on vacation, I want to go on vacation. The crowds were definitely not relaxing.

ANYWAY. Those are my thoughts on that. Moving on.

When we came home, my parents literally flew in that night. And of course, my kids were so excited that they stayed up until they got here. This is also when I lost my car keys, and spent two days looking for them, despite the fact that my 5-year-old repeatedly told me they were under the couch. 

Guess where they were.

THEN it was my daughter's birthday -- she turned a ripe old eight. My mom and I brought treats to her class and then my dad and Andrew met us at the school for lunch. Addie forgot that we were bringing her a lunch, so she accidentally bought one anyway. My dad gallantly offered to eat it and three seconds later he was asking another 2nd grader if he wanted to trade.

Yeah. 

We went out for dinner that night and neither of the kids had fully recovered. Here's an excellent picture of Andrew sleep-eating pizza. 

The next day, Addie was baptized, which is a big deal in our religion. One of the fun parts is that girls usually wear white dresses afterward. Addie was adamant that we go shopping so she could "say yes to the dress." We watch a lot of TLC around here.

Unfortunately, we found two dresses that she wanted to say "yes" to. So we bought both. And she wore both. 
First dress. 

 Second dress. 

We had all of our family and friends over for a big party afterward. My house has yet to completely recover. My mom thought it would be a good idea to decorate with Easter grass and I'm finding it EVERYWHERE. 

My parents are getting ready to leave right now. But they did have time to take my kids to the park.

 JK my kids took my dad to the park.


So that should explain my generally crappy blog for the month of February. Luckily, life will calm down and I can stop cursing the fact that ALTHOUGH I planned my children's age gap perfectly, Andrew was accidentally born super early and ruined everything and one month the year is a complete write-off. Thanks, buddy. 

So anyway, I wanted to get your thoughts on the whole DL thing. I have friends who LOVE it and I can see why, so I don't know why it wasn't the happiest place on earth for me.

Maybe it's because the title of "happiest place on earth" has already been filled. 

By my pillow. 


20 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never been to Disneyland either, but we took our son to Disneyworld FL for his 7th birthday. I was opposite of you - I thought it would be horrible and boring for me but I would do it for the kid and pretend to like it. I loved it SO MUCH. It was the best time I ever had (ok I don't get out much). I guess we got "lucky" in that it was the coldest February ever in Florida so there were no lines. And my son being 7 and wanting to go on all the big rides allowed us to skip the little little kid stuff so that helped too. But yeah, of the 4 Disney parks in FL we liked Magic Kingdom the least.
Your daughter is awesome picking out 2 dresses. A girl after my own heart.

Queen Mommy said...

My first daughter was born 2 weeks late, and my twins were born 6-1/2 weeks early. So the first birthday is less than 3 weeks before Christmas and the second is less than 3 weeks after. Yeah. :/ As for DL, we haven't taken the kids yet, unless you count babies in utero, but my husband and I both felt like it was a bit overrated. We were going to take the kids to DW a couple months back, but every appliance in our house decided to break down at the same time, so plans changed.

Queen Mommy said...

Also, I have one daughter who cries when she's really happy and excited too. I think it's adorable! <3

Jae said...

Linda, maybe we need a trip to DW ;) I was actually thinking the Disney Cruise would be the happiest medium -- more time with characters without the lines, right?

QM: Those kids ruin all our plans!! LOL. But yeah, my husband and I kind of thought the same thing -- a little overrated. I think I watched too many commercials.

Manda said...

I hate Disneyland. I have been four times(against my will), and I've gotten a migraine every time. Because it's awful. I even took some Xanax last time...didn't help. People are not very friendly there. If you even accidentally cut the line everyone FREAKs out, and your poor kids are like wtf, why are they screaming at me?
So that was my take on it.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, my son has always hated adults dressed in costumes so we didn't have to deal with all the character lines - when the characters came around it was like, Whooo - even shorter lines for the rides! Guess it depends on the kids - some would love the pools and characters all day long on the cruise. I had to give birth to the adreniline junkie (Mom, when can I go bungee jumping - he's 12 now, but he's been asking this since age 5).

Nora Bradshaw said...

I went to Disneyland as a kid. I'm sure I had fun, but my most vivid memory is how terrifying I found the "20,000 Leagues" ride to be. My parents let me watch all of the Jaws movies way too young. So I thought we were going to die.

Katie said...

We went to DL 2 years ago and although my daughters were the perfect ages of 8 and 9, I had a 9 month old baby boy. It was super hard. My husband and I had to take turns staying with the baby and usually it was me because he had to be fed every few hours. And the shuttle to the parking lot?! Shoot me now! I had to brake down the stroller and carry our hoards of backpacks and such onto the shuttle only to set it all up again and again.

We went with my dad, stepmom, and siblings so I guess it was fun doing it together. My husband was the only adult who had never been to DL so we made him take the kids on the It's a Small World ride. Ya know, because I am sadistic like that :)

IandS said...

We had a huge family reunion in CA. We did Disney, CA Adventure and SeaWorld plus beaches etc... It turned out that of my 5 boys only 1 liked rollercoasters (and he's not big enough to go on anything scarier than the goofy one). I hated the crowds and the lines. We liked CA Adventure WAY more than actual Disney but the complete gem was SeaWorld. We planned the shows we wanted to see and all met up at the designated place and time and sat and visited whilst we waited for the shows. My kids LOVE animals so they were thrilled. We will probably never go back to anything Disney (sorry Walt) but will for sure do SeaWorld again.
Stacey

Jae said...

We did Sea World -- last year maybe? And I liked that there was a lot of sitting and not much jostling for "good seats," so I wasn't as stressed out. Of course, then I watched that documentary called Blackfish and now I'm terrified of orcas. But I would do SW again for sure.

Yeah my kids didn't really like rides other than the Goofy one and Radiator Springs, which is a bummer for me because I'll go on anything. Ughhh kids ruin Disneyland, am I right?

I actually had a Dole Whip-related meltdown on our second day there because one of the employees wouldn't accept my husband's debit card unless he was standing RIGHT THERE. I had to call him to come over. And after all that, the Dole Whip was just OK. I seriously almost cried.

So what I'm saying is I liked California Adventure better. Bahaha.

jmleicht said...

First - sounds like you missed the MAJOR rain that hit the area so at least you had that going for you ;) I live in San Diego and went to DL as a part of growing up, but I think moderation is the key. We used to go once a year or maybe every other year growing up and it was a day trip. Last year was my daughters last year of preschool so I bought her and I passes thinking how much fun we would have visiting the park whenever we wanted and how I would treasure those memories of midweek fun once she was back in school. By our 5th visit she was so over the park that she was mostly just looking forward to the massive corn dog she got to eat for lunch. So while I think it's great and we'll be going again next year when the youngest is 3, I think it's best as a one day, once in a while place.

Unknown said...

We live in Orange County, about 25 minutes from Disneyland...so it's a part of our lives. But we are the only ones of our friends that don't have passes. It's a once-a-year, or less, kinda place. We actually just went a couple weeks ago, though. My daughter is almost 5 and we took her twin cousin who live out of state, they're 8. They loved it! She was sorta indifferent, until the Bug's Life show, where she completely lost it to the point I thought she would pass out. Thank god for Grandpa, who swooped in and ran out of the theater with her. That show is nuts!
Anyway, long story short, (but not really) we like Legoland sooo much better! It's close to San Diego, too, so keep that in mind for your next CA trip...perfect for kids 4-12...It's awesome! :)

Unknown said...

Also, San Diego Wild Animal Park is pretty cool, just north of San Diego. Lots of animals and not too crowded usually. More manageable than the zoo.

Allison Hill said...

I love Disneyland, however I will admit that I personally haven't been there with my children. My children have been there, but it was my parents that took them. I'm hoping to take myself them next year sometime. My experience may be different though because I never have to wait in the long lines--between my mom and myself we always get wheelchaired to the front. Before you say "oh hey that sounds GREAT!" keep in mind there are some rides we do still have to wait for, like Indiana Jones, and some rides we can't even go on at all. But I still love Disney completely 100%.

Lauren said...

IMHO having a successful DL trip involves military planning. We go about every 1.5-2 yrs and after seeing it during a crowded time, we only go during the slow season and make sure we're there during the week. Nice weekend weather will bring in big crowds of locals even during the slow season. We "researched" the rides, shows and parades before going by watching youtube videos. We've never attempted the Bugs Life Show because I've read from many people that it is terrifying to small kids. My 5 yr old decided that the youtube video of the Nemo ride looked too scary, so we didn't attempt it. But again, my number one piece of advice is going during the slow season!!! Some of the rides they didn't make us get off to have another turn, like Tea Cups and Pooh Bear. We also stay in a hotel directly across from the park so we can take breaks and minimize the walking. Strollers are a must for anyone under 6, or even older if they can fit. We had groceries delivered to our hotel and I brought tons of snacks so that the instant the kids (or I) got cranky there was food available. So there's my two cents worth on how we do DL with three little kids (5,3 and 1) and have a great time.

bequi said...

I've gone 3 times and I loved it every time. The first was before I had kids. My in laws are Disney pros, so while we were waiting in line for one ride, my MIL would go grab fast passes for the others. We never waited more than 10 minutes for any ride.

The next 2 times were with kids. I loved it even more because they're both under 5 and were mesmerized with everything. My sister in law is a character actor at Disney World, so she got us in free both times. It was perfect because we didn't feel the stress to go on EVERY RIDE to make the cost worth it. We did about 4-6 rides, watched the parade, and went home.

Jae said...

What the what? You guys have some awesome hookups. Also, it sounds like I probably should have consulted everyone before I went lol. We were such newbs! I'll probably try again in another couple of years. Maybe the thought of going won't totally exhaust me then!

tylersgirl said...

What is up with people who love it so much that they name their kids after characters?! season passes?! ANd Disney world? Cramped at Disneyland? lets spread you out at Disney World so much that you wish you had a ride on scooter. Too much work. Take the kids camping.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. The Bug's Life movie is THE WORST!!!

Try Disney World next time. Animal Kingdom = my favorite. The shows are amazing!!!

Heather said...

Disneyland is really about good planning. Making a lunch reservation well in advance, knowing what time of year to go so it isn't packed, knowing which rides to hit early or to get a fast pass for. We lived in SoCal growing up and the best time to do Disney is when you are a teenager. You remember everything as opposed to when you're younger and only have impressions, you can wait longer periods between meals and you don't have to think about naps, strollers, feeding kids, freaking out kids etc.... Also, taking a break around 4PM to rest and recharge especially if it's hot outside. But yeah, mostly planning. You might have a better time if you went again.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.