Spring Trend I Can Totally Support: Tomboy Style

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

It's no secret that I basically lived, dressed and acted like my four brothers until I was around 15 or 16. And when I say I dressed like a boy, I mean I literally wore my younger brother Jonathan's entire wardrobe. We had matching tracksuits. I don't wanna talk about it.


And so, even though I consider myself a girly girl now, I still love boyish elements to my clothes. A crisp button-down here, a ball cap there. So how excited was I to find out that tomboy style is totally a thing this spring?

Answer: Very excited.

Of course, because fashion is annoying and unnecessarily complicated, it's not enough to just start wearing your husband's clothes. On the bright side, this could be the most comfortable trend of all time, so if you hate getting dressed up because you don't want slidey bra straps and tight pants, you're in luck with this one. 

Let's check it out, shall we?


Casual tomboy clothes mean striking a balance between sloppy and like, actual presentable clothes. I LOVE LOVE LOVE raglan for spring, especially when it's in a slouchier fit. But if you're going slouchy on top, you need (let's all say it together!) tight on the bottom. Skinny jeans are a no brainer. Then it's time for some flats -- mocs, boating shoes and loafers are all having a moment. Or a "mo" if you want to say it like an annoying women's magazine. And, since this look is still girly, you could totally add a ball cap it you want. I just bought one from the Gap that says "El Capitan" and I can't wait to wear it on the boat. What a smarmy thing to say, yeesh. 



Camp shirts are my spirit animal and I love this military color. Just check the shape: While the idea of a button up in an olive green is pretty masculine, the shape is definitely girly. Keep up the good work by pairing a masculine shirt with a pencil skirt -- I love the idea of a menswear top on a cleary girly silhouette. Heels are a must, especially these ones. I die.

Also, plus-size girls take note: Your body will look insane in this type of tailored look. 





Believe it or not, tomboy can also work for dressing up. Can I just tell you that I've never liked boyfriend jeans? I feel like they make EVERYONE look short. But I can get on board with these lower-cut, skinnier versions that look kinda tomboyish without actually looking like you raided your guy's closet. Plus, my husband is eight inches taller than me so wearing his pants would be dumb. BUT! Because the pants are kind of sloppy, some tailored stuff is a must on top. I love skinny boyfriend pants with a blazer and cute flats. 

Don't be surprised to see more tomboy stuff in stores right now. It's all like, chambray and hats and straight cuffed pants. Adding a few boyish pieces to your stuff is an awesome way to mix up your same old way of dressing. Plus it means wearing a hat when you have bad hair, something I can totally get behind.


So what do you think? Yay or nay to the tomboy trend? 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

A definite Yea from me - I love baseball caps, button fronts, and (I know you hate them, Jae) oxford shoes.

Rachael Cain said...

Definitely Yea for me too! I love this new menswear style. Love a good masculine edge

Leigh said...

Aaaarrrrrgh, those shoes are sold out in my size! They are so very cute. And I'm with you, I love raglan tops--they're the right mix of feminine and casual.

Heidi J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi J said...

Love the outfit with the red flats! Just bought some similar shoes at Old Navy so I will try this look ... thanks!

Anonymous said...

I think the boyfriend jeans would be a challenge for me. With three kids in tow, the best I can do while picking out clothes is a quick eyeball "Yeah, that'll fit," and my attention is pulled away!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.