Sneaky Win: The T-Shirt

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I know, this is groundbreaking stuff right here. But seriously, how often do I find myself looking for the perfect  T-shirt? Answer: Very often. As a mom, I would say that about 40 percent of my shirts are tees. I am very particular when it comes to buying. I don't like anything that needs another layer, I hate ribbing and it's gotta be supersoft and super thin because it's blazing hot here still. In fact, I find myself buying the same brands over and over again, like GAP and Joe Fresh.

Here's the thing though: Can we all agree that most of the time, T-shirts are kind of a snoozefest? Like, no one puts on a sloppy T-shirt and is like "Yes this totally brings out my inner sex kitten." But it doesn't mean that tees can't be a perfectly acceptable addition to a cute -- not sloppy -- wardrobe. Here I've got three types of tees and why YOU need to add them to your closet. Or overstuffed drawers. Ahem.

tee1



Old Navy pink tee / MICHAEL Michael Kors stretchy skinny jeans / Charlotte Russe black lace up ankle booties / Roxy long purse / Miss Selfridge neon bangle / Henri Bendel swarovski crystal earrings
Okay, you guys know I love graphic tees. But not just ANY graphic tees. I stay away from any that have huge logos, weird statements about the person wearing the shirt (ew novelty tees ruin everything) and anything that could be construed as teenager-y. Yes that's a word. I tend to grab vintage tees because they're uber-soft and have cool prints. When I wear them, I go more grunge. Boots are a major must, as is edgier jewelry. It's how a plain concert tee goes from a weird purchase you made once to an actual outfit.
tee2





Oh, the plain tee. You get such a bad rap when paired with capris and flipflops. You're the uniform of moms everywhere without getting the recognition you deserve. But I contend that with the right accessories, you can totally dress up a plain tee. I love a deep V-neck -- I have a ridiculously heart-shaped face and I feel like the V balances out the wideness of my cheeks. Pull on a maxi skirt (I'm obsessed with the slit on this one) and some wedges and it's an adorbs date/church/ outfit.

Also, with plain tees, fit is EVERYTHING. You want something that gives your boobs a firm hug but basically floats over your tummy. I also like some length so I'm not yanking my shirt down all day. This isn't 1998 and you are not in the all-girl hip hop group TLC. Cover your stomach.


tee3



Wallis polka dot top / River Island dark wash bootcut jeans, $39 / ASOS ballerina shoes, $39 / Charlotte Russe wrap watch / Dot jewelry

Finally, if you're going to wear a T-shirt without the bells and whistles of crazy accessories, look for a top with tons of interest. Cool pattern - check. Neck pleating? Awesome. Puff sleeves? Yes. That way, you only have to wear one piece but it still packs a visual impact. This is for the minimalist in all of us. Wearing this to a girl's lunch? Shut up, adorable.

So even though T-shirts are kind of like, the kids picked last on the playground, they can actually make up some pretty cute outfits. Like, they could totally be the kid who gets picked last but ends up being really good at kickball so you have a sneaky win.

Wow, that metaphor got out of control pretty fast.

Alright, what brand is your fave for T-shirts? I'm always on the hunt. 

5 comments:

Jen said...

love that polka dot one! Too bad I just balanced the checkbook and it wasn't a pretty sight...

Jae said...

boo those checkbooks are the WORST. Especially right before school ;)

Unknown said...

Nice t shirt. I like long sleeve t shirt so much like Next Level 3711.

Johnny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Johnny said...

Nice post! well one my favourite brands regarding t shirts is Gildan. You can check reasonable t shirt shops with variety of colors.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.