Back to School Beauty Reboot

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

 So are everyone's kids back in school? In Canada, kids didn't go back until the second week of September, so I think it's weird when I send mine back in the middle of August. It makes me feel decidedly less fall-ish when school is back and it's still like, 98 degrees outside.

Just the same, now that I'm a lady of leisure (and then we laughed and laughed) I feel like I need to spruce up my makeup routine from the low key beauty of the summer. Gone are the days when I could just slap on some lip gloss and put my hair in a side braid. Now I have to look like, presentable and stuff. So I decided it was time for a back to school beauty reboot. I still have one more summer activity planned, so it's definitely not fall yet -- but close enough.

Here's some of the stuff I'm doing to transition into a normal beauty routine once again.

1. Get a Haircut, Ya Hippie! 

 I was more than happy to have longer hair during the summer, especially because it spent most of the time in the water and sun. But come the end of August and it was fried. Like, really fried. The ends were all crispy and the color was off and I found myself wearing it in a bun all the time. And since my rule is that it gets cut if I wear it in a pony three days in a row, it was off to the salon. I got rid of all the dead stuff, got a healthier-looking color and I'm ready to be the most perfectly coiffed mom in the pickup line.

2. Paint Darker Polish
 At the beginning of the summer, my group of friends and I went out and got pedis for one of our friend's birthdays. We all ended up choosing the exact same color, which was a bright fluorescent coral. On summer toes, it was awesome and I think a lot of us went and bought the color ourselves. But now I'll be spending less time in flip flops than in flats so I'm rebooting with darker shades. I'm really into plum for toes right now.

3. New Makeup Colors



To be honest, I don't wear a ton of makeup in the summer. When I did, it was a bright pop of gloss and some mascara. But I definitely want some smokier colors now that it's a new season. I've learned the awesomeness of a navy smokey eye and I'm addicted. It's a quick way to update your makeup routine for cheap. 

4. Swap Glossy for Matte 

 I feel like I've said the word "gloss" like 900 times in this post. But seriously, when I was Maui I bought a Buxom gloss that I loooooove (PS having a Sephora right beside your resort is not a good idea). Problem is, it's more at home on the beach than having lunch with the girls or doing storytime at the library. Instead, I'm totally into these lip crayons. You get matte color and they're basically un-screwupable. That's a word. Google it.

Just keep them away from your kids because they will 100 percent want to play with them and color on your walls. And if your walls happen to made of log, like mine, it means SANDING it off.

5. Fix Your Face

Sun does a number on your skin, even if you're fastidious about the sunscreen like yours truly. I got this little miracle worker in my last ipsy bag and now I'm a diehard fan. It's a face mask that does some major exfoliation. Not gonna lie, it burns a bit when you first put it on. But afterwards -- buttah. I've used it once a week since I got it and my skin definitely looks smoother. A quickie 10-minute face mask can help tone down some of the sun damage you might have accrued during break.


Seriously guys, we're talking five simple tweaks to go from frazzled summer mom to calm and collected back to school mom. You've got this. Any other ways you make the switch?

8 comments:

bashashhazbaz said...

my kids started school last week. "sniff"--my oldest started middle school. actually i was ok with it but my wife shed some tears. great post. as a guy i can't really comment on the makeup stuff as it is out of my realm of experience but great post nonetheless!

Unknown said...

I LOVE when it turns to autumn (I'm Scottish and I could go to jail here for saying fall) - because no matter how old I get I have to buy.....
New shoes! This year, I've just bought some grown up black leather heels and some penny loafers with a small, chunky heel (yes, they're back). The most exciting thing though? I just bought some BERRY coloured straight jeans to wear with the loafers. I'm very much planning to wear these with a navy boyfriend cardigan and a T-shirt for dress down Friday.

New stationery! I'm starting a new job and have bought new pens and stuff because I'm professional like that, hah!

Cherry nail polish! When I'm 90, I will still be wearing red nails in September.

Anonymous said...

Avril, my birthday is coming up. You are inspiring me to spend.

Allison Hill said...

My kids started school August 2nd... which is insane. and I just started a new part time job for all I was determined to be a SAHM now, but that gives me a great excuse to buy new clothes!

Jae said...

YAY birthday!

Also berry colored jeans sound amazing and I want some immediately.

Micha said...

Ohmygosh me too! I just did the navy eye thing the other day and I swear every time I looked in a mirror I felt like a complete vixen.

BTW- my kids don't start school until the 10th. This year I'm making the switch by taking off on a babymoon the second day of school - which has me feeling like a lousy mom.

I've also gone to darker colors on my toes. Summer has me lean toward brights & lights, as fall comes I lean toward richer colors.

Unknown said...

replica bags prada visit the site o7l85u6s91 replica bags canada 7a replica bags wholesale replica gucci bags q0p13j2a10 joy replica bags review replica bags online uae fake hermes h1p45r0i43 replica goyard bags

shethas said...

these details designer replica luggage use this link have a peek at this web-site take a look at the site here https://www.dolabuy.co

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.