Freaky Friday: The Backpack

Friday, August 23, 2013

Well, in the ultimate Freaky Friday move, my daughter just went to school wearing this:






Yes. That's a My Little Pony backpack. With a pony hood.

Yesterday was the first day of school and I made her PROMISE that she would zip the hood away and not wear it at the bus stop. It wasn't even because it's the most embarrassing thing ever made. I was looking out for HER. Who wants their kid to be labeled as the bus weirdo from day one? I told her that she could take the hood out on the bus ride home. She came home SO EXCITED because one of the older girls at school told her that the backpack was -- and I quote -- "to die for."

Thanks a lot, random 6th grader. Because of this positive affirmation, she wore this in all of its glory to the bus stop today. Her stop is one house over from ours, so I pushed her out the door and then watched out the window as I ate my cereal, shaking my head as she bopped up the street in all of her pony confidence.

How do I say no to a kid who poses like this without prompting?


Sure, it's the weirdest backpack known to man. But she really, really likes it. Like, nothing makes her happier in the whole world. And fashion isn't only about looking good, but feeling good too. So if my daughter feels good dressed up like a weird pony, then I'll let her. I mean, I'll still totally make fun of her, but I'll let her.

Hey, I spent years experimenting with fashion. I had a MINI BACKPACK at one time and I'm sure my mom watched out the window and shook her head as I wore it with my butterfly hairclips on the way to the mall. And I'm sure that five years from now, I'll look back on the What I Wore posts and wonder what the heck was I thinking. But for now, clothes are fun. Kids are confident. So I let her wear the backpack.

...Now to just sit back and wait for the confused call from her principal.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

At your daughter's age? Yes. Adorable. As an adult? Not so adorable. And I'm only saying that because I have, in fact, seen real adults wearing stuff like that.

Jae said...

Haha 100 percent agreed!

Unknown said...

Aaaaaw, what a cutie. But you're right to mock her - how can she hope to learn to be judgemental about other people's clothes otherwise?! :)

Storypiece said...

They are wearing these at High Schools on the west coast so I think this technically makes her a second grade trend setter.

Anonymous said...

She poses like that without prompting!?! Parenting...your doing it right.

Jae said...

Hahaha my husband and I always say that all we want to teach our kids is how to make fun of themselves. Everything else is just a bonus.

Ki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ki said...

Haha what a cute book bag! Awesome she has her own personality! My 7 year old 2nd grader has those same flats how AWESOME is that lol.

bashashhazbaz said...

this post was awesome! i love how she rocked the pony pack! lol

Fly Away Home said...

I discovered your blog last night. I'm still reading back posts. My eyes are red from laughter induced tears. Favorites? Silly pregnancy photos and why you hate parents. They are classic!

Your daughter is too cute for words.

My boys are 19 and 20. I'm still waiting for them to have any taste in clothes (other than pants that fall down.. At least I know they aren't getting into trouble. They can't run from the police when their pants are hanging around their ankles.)

Great posts, Jae. I can't wait to read more.

John said...

true religion jeans outlet
ugg outlet store
adidas nmd r1
kate spade outlet online
nike outlet store
oakley sunglasses wholesale
moncler uk
christian louboutin sale
fit flops
kd shoes
20161203yuanyuan

Unknown said...

www0817
valentino
moncler online outlet
issey miyake perfume
skechers shoes
uggs outlet
moncler jackets
nike outlet store
adidas nmd runner
ray ban sunglasses
canada goose outlet

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.