Maternity Monday - Fat, or Pregnant?

Monday, August 4, 2008

Now, because I am pregnant, everyone gets to join me as I search for maternity clothes I don't hate. With my first pregnancy, I wore maternity clothes in my last month and that was it. I have a tiny maternity clothes collection at the moment. But, because I am only 6 weeks and yet my belly is already freakishly large, I have been forced to be a reluctant player in my favorite prenatal game, Fat? Or Pregnant?


Yes, the awkward time in pregnancy where you aren't round enough to look pregnant, yet still have packed on enough pounds to look different. As such, you probably don't want to pull on your tightest shirt, yet still aren't ready to dust off the box of maternity clothes. I feel that I look ridiculous in maternity clothes when I don't have a full on belly. They droop awkwardly and make me look bigger than I am, heaven forbid. Not a fan.

So this time around, I have built a small wardrobe of non-maternity clothes that work with my little belly, as well as will be handy in the postnatal months, when I am not 100% ready to plunge back into to normal-people clothing.

Let's start off by saying, anything with an empire waist is going to work to your advantage here. It'll puff out enough to give your belly some breathing room, without looking like a tent.


(less4style.com)

(Neiman Marcus)



(Target - love this one!)


As for bottoms, Old Navy has an awesome Maternity department that I love because it caters to all phases of pregnancy, not just the last few months. I just picked up these shorts.


Totally cute and not scary, right? Just a little breathing room around the waist band. We are not in full-panel territory yet, folks. You put shirt #2 with these shorts and you've got an outfit.
The fact of the matter is, maternity clothes have come a long way. CLOTHES have come a long way. If you're not ready to slip on the maternity jeans yet, get a little creative and find out what works for you. Bellies are not a one size fits all deal.
Although it's totally fun to play with the prosthetic belly in the maternity stores, isn't it?

0 comments:

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.