For the Full Figured Gals

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

K! Story time!

So once, my father in law was out and about, and he saw an acquaintance that he'd heard was pregnant a few months back. So he went to go talk to her, and just as they parted way, he patted her belly and said, "So, aren't you going to have that baby yet?"


She had. A few months ago.

Awkward.

So, they both learned a valuable lesson that day. He never says anything to anyone ever about pregnancy, and she learned to rethink the way she dressed.

I have four brothers, and if there is anything I learned from them growing up is that wearing bigger clothes does nothing but draw attention to the fact that you've got something to hide. I remember them mocking relentlessly the girl who would show up to the pool in full shorts and t-shirts. It was like a big sign: INSECURITY! INSECURITY!

The truth is, you work with what you have. If you happen to be plus size, stop wishing for a smaller body and stop punishing yourself by not buying clothes until you're a size 4.

There are some ADORABLE things that I turned up, courtesy or Torrid and Lane Bryant, the latter which I don't usually love, but after some hunting, found to be pretty adorable.



I love layering, but it can be tricky if you're full figured. However, this piece was made to look like two, so you can get the effect without the bulk.

K, I covet this dress so very much. So VAMPY! And not ordinary- You'd have to have some serious curves to pull it off. Buy it.

These pants are fantastic in their fit and proportion. See that thicker tab waist too? It'll flatten out and look super svelte.



K, patterns can be tricky with plus sizes. Don't choose anything too big or too contrasting, they are going to emphasize everything you don't want them too. This linear shirt is just about perfect. The stripes are running vertically, making you look longer.


See the difference with the pattern on this shirt? It's bigger, and what's worse, the pattern is ROUND. Not good.
"
Boo.


And you don't always have to do flowy shirts. Check out this super cute structured one. The frill down the middle detracts from any problem areas, bringing your eye right to the center instead.



Finally, this is pretty much the perfect dress for a fuller figure. Nips in at your smallest part, and then flares out in an a-line. And the square neckline adds a bit of interest using a faux shrug. LOVE.



K. Bottom line? These are not your grandma's plus sized clothes. I better not catch you in your husband's basketball shirt EVER. AGAIN.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Okay, I am not plus size, but I was making the mistake of wearing too big of clothes. I took a picture of myself and my pants are too big (left over from pregnancy) and they make my hips look huge. I used to think that slightly too big of clothes was good for you, only in a skinny jean I guess!

Thanks for saving us Jae!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I've been waiting for this forever! It's horrible because I'm losing weight and as I lose weight my clothes stop fitting as nicely but I don't want to buy something every time I drop a size. I think I'll just have to get a couple pairs of nice stuff to wear for when I want to look good and then stick with the baggy stuff while I wait a bit more. I wanted suggestions for some key pieces that I could work into to kind of keep myself looking good and less like a frump!

Amanda said...

Thank you! I have such a hard time finding fat girl clothes!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.