Eye Spy...

Thursday, August 7, 2008

I am pretty sure there is no creature on this world more tired than a mom. Between getting up in the night and tossing and turning and feeling GUILTY when you take a nap (because your two year old may or may not be coloring on herself with permanent marker while you do so), mom's get literally no sleep. Maybe the only people who get less sleep are people who are on early morning TV shows. And that's their own fault.

Lately I've noticed that I've had tons of dark circles under my eyes, no doubt due tot he fact that my husband wakes up at 5:30 to get to class, and I CAN NEVER GET BACK TO SLEEP. It's horrible. So, I've added a few tips and tricks in my arsenal to make my eyes look wide awake and at least maintain some semblance of rest.

1) Dark circles: Cover circles with a yellow toned face pencil or cream. Even if you aren't a regular foundation user, you can just do the circles. Blend it well.

2) We all know the age-old secret of highlighter. White pencil is fine. Use it to dab in the innermost corners of your eyes to lighten them. You can smudge a little up right under your eyebrows too. Not too much, you'll look like a prostitute. Just enough to lift them up a little.

3) Mascara. I LOVE mascara. It is so easy to just throw some on, slick on the lipgloss and call it good. I don't have tons of time to fiddle with make up, but I always have time for mascara. It's literally two seconds. Make sure you curl your lashes first. My fool proof way to curl is this: Take the curler and curl your lashes three times each. Once at the very base of your lashes, once in the middle, and once at the tips. This way you get nice curvy lashes, and not the kind that stick straight up in the air. When they are curled, take your mascara wand, and do as I say! Put the wand super duper close to the lash line and wiggle back and forth a little. That's going to deposit some of the mascara at the line, and make your eyes more defined, much like eyeliner, but faster. Then sweep up. Repeat on both sides. I like a comb through afterwards, but it depends on the mascara you choose. Honestly, my favourite is my crappy Wet N Wild mascara I bought for like, $1.99

4) Now, you can totally be done at this point, but if you want eyeshadow too, here's my guide for eyeshadow for your eye color.
Brown: I would go with a navy color. I know blue eyeshadow conjures up images of bad '80's hair, but if you go with a very dark navy, you can pull off a smoky eye and make your brown eyes pop righto outta your head.
Green/Hazel: Choose a plummy purple. Again, I know we're all very happy and safe with our browns and greys, but try this and I promise you, it'll make your eyes look even more green.
Blue: This is me, so I am always messing around with colors. For blue, I like brown, but it needs to have a purple-y undertone to really contrast with your eyes. I even use a cranberry color I love because it cools down the blue in the eyes to make them stand out on the skin.
Moral of the story, CONTRAST yours eye color with your eyeshadow. Your eye color will pop, looking crisper and cleaner, and ultimately more awake.

And if you get a chance, will you take a nap for me today? Or let me know how to get permanent marker out of a couch?

1 comments:

Kate said...

thank you for posting this! I am one who will never leave the house without a little concelor and highlighter under my eyes, not only do I look more awake, I also feel more awake.
I got to your blog via LDS BBC board. Love your blog, and can't wait to read more!! :)

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.