What I Wore: Mother's Day

Monday, May 12, 2014

We were at church yesterday and the woman speaking said something along the lines of "I've heard that some people don't like Mother's Day" and my husband shot me a very obvious look. I swear I don't hate it, it's just a lot for someone like me who is very uncomfortable accepting compliments. Also, I feel like more often than not, you end up doing everything a mom does on a regular day, but you have to slap on a smile because you're supposed to love it more than usual.

Whatever. I'm just in it for the presents. My daughter wrote a hilarious book about me and how I love to watch Shark Tank and eat shrimp from Costco, both of which are completely accurate. And my son made me a picture frame, and in addition to my beloved Naked 3, my other half got me a shower speaker so I can blast "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea while washing my hair and a pair of leopard print Reefs because I never shut up about how much I love my Reefs.

I also ate pie and got a three-hour (!!!) nap, so I'd say it was pretty successful. How did you guys do?

I felt like I should have worn something flowy and serene to show everyone what a sweet mom I was, but in the end I was like screw it, I wanna wear a pencil skirt. And very high heels.

Shirt: Calvin Klein - I worship the fit on these shirts (here) (love giraffe in pink!)
Skirt: Tailor and Stylist - no longer available (similar) (plus)
Belt: I have wracked my brain and I have no idea where this came from. My hunch is mod bod, but don't quote me on it (similar) (cute and cheap!)
Necklace: F21 (here)

I guess it's back to normal life now. Hope you guys all felt loved and well-rested and amazing yesterday. I know that 24 hours definitely isn't enough to thank moms for all they do, but maybe it's enough to wrangle like, at least a week of good behavior from your kids.

OK, maybe a day. Or a couple of an hours. We'll take what we can get. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, sometimes it's a lot of pressure. "FEEL SPECIAL THAT IS AN ORDER." Which is why I simply requested brekkie at a restaurant that I love but my family is so-so about. Then listened to complaining about the seating at this restaurant the whole time we were there. Then became violently ill from breakfast.

Also, I stayed home from church.

Leigh said...

I agree with your Mother's Day ambivalence! Sundays are rarely a day of rest for me, there are too many errands and too little time every weekend, so I feel weird about still having to go to the grocery and hem choir dresses and pack lunches for the week on a day that is supposed to be about MMMMMEEEEEEE. But I got a new book, so . . . yay me.

Allison Hill said...

I got new Adirondack chairs that I've been coveting ever since we saw this house a year ago, so that's nice. Sunday I sat on my chairs and did nothing all day. I even refused to cook dinner, which went over better than I expected. Tomorrow is my birthday so we'll see how that goes.

Nora I'm really sorry you got sick on Mother's Day from your favorite restaurant! :(

IandS said...

You're doing Mother's Day all wrong...it's a day to do ANYTHING except those motherly things that you usually do. It's fun to watch my husband get 5 little boys ready for church without even so much as a comment of help from me *smug grin*
Stacey

Heidi J said...

My husband and sons washed the lunch dishes (which was cool) and even hand-washed the dirty dishes in the dishwasher (um, thx?) so I feel officially cherished and thanked. Plus, I keep finding oddly-placed dishes they tried to put away, and it makes me smile.

Jennifer Wells said...

Allison, thank you! It's okay. I'll look back on that day and laugh. Actually, I already have.

Stacey, I like the way you think.

Jae said...

My problem is that I'm enough of a control freak that even when my husband is like "Go ahead and get in the bath -- I'll put the kids to bed" I'm like "But what if you use the wrong pajamas? What if they don't brush their teeth!?" and totally sabotage myself.

But yeah, pressure. I like my birthday better; it's less tied-up in roles and responsibilities. That reminds me: Start looking for birthday presents for myself. lol.

Unknown said...

LOL! It seems like every year I set myself up for disappointment, expecting a choir of angels to sing my praises while I eat breakfast in bed and my kids act wonderful and don't mess up the house. It never happens.
But I did get an awesome new pair of shoes and a nap so that's enough for now I guess. Maybe the angels will sing for me next year.:)

Jennifer Wells said...

Jae, next year totally mess with your husband and bust out the Laura Ashley dress with white hose.

We want pictures.

josephinepattison32 said...

Like a beautiful mom something more beautiful not exist. A woman of 35-45 years means super - beautiful curves, charming eyes and maturity. A mature mom is sexy, beautiful and charming.

Unknown said...

source utile Goyard Dolabuy trouver plus d'informations réplique dolabuy vous pouvez essayer ici Dolabuy Chloe

Unknown said...

l8g89m1y21 v3v91h7a78 c4y38q2s65 w0y78h3u88 w7q00i5l96 w7d80u0p37

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.