Summer Style: Hats

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

So I'm a big hat person. I live in them all summer long because a) they obviously keep the sun off my face and b) the idea of blowdrying my hair in the heat is akin to the idea of baking cookies on Jae's scale of "Crap I Don't Need to Do to be Happy."

Therefore, much of the summer is spent with a hat jammed on my head. Here's the thing though: I used to think I was definitely NOT a hat person. Excepting a weird phase when I was 12 when I wore a yellow bucket hat everywhere, I went much of my life thinking that hats were for other people. I have large features, and so hats (especially growing up in Canada, where that meant toques) looked weird on me.

Now I love hats and I want you to love them too. So much of feeling confident in one is in choosing the right type of hat for your features and face shape. Once you've nailed that, you're good to go.

A rule of thumb: For me, pulling off hats also amounts to hair and makeup. I usually leave my hair loose and wavy  or in a low, messy bun (again, no blowdrying in the summer) and put a little more effort into my eye makeup when I'm going to be wearing a hat. It makes it look "on purpose" rather than "I just shoved this on my head and ran out the door."

The second rule of thumb is to choose a hat with a brim in proportion to your features. That's why I look sucky in toques (knit hats, for you Yankees). Large features = larger brim. Small features = smaller brim. Yay!

Alright, face shapes:

Heart-Shaped Face

Hey, let's be friends, because I have a heart-shaped face too. That means you have wider cheekbones and a prominent chin, which can make your cheeks look even wider. Luckily, we can rock a classic ball cap like it's our job, which makes me happy. I lean toward vintage caps that add a little height to my face.

Oval Face

If you have an oval face and your forehead, cheeks and chin are all pretty proportionate, you're in luck because you can wear just about anything. Just be conscious of anything with height, since it can make your head look longer. Instead, go for a shorter brim and forehead -- military hats and even rounded straw hats will look best. Just keep the top of the hat (the distance between your forehead and the top) pretty short. 


Round Face

Look at you, you little baby angel. If you have a round face, rounded hats will make you look -- you guessed it -- round. Since you have full cheeks and a rounder chin, you'll want something that balances out those rounder features. A brim that slants over one side of your face can help create some angles. You look uber cute in a straw fedora and I am jealous because I do not. You can also choose a hat with a higher, square top to add length to your face.


Square Face

If your face is pretty angular with a strong chin, you want a little femininity in your hat. Don't get me wrong, you look like a total boss in a vintage ball cap. But some softness can help counteract a strong chin. If you do a ball cap, pick one that's a bit girly and you're good to go, otherwise floppy hats are your friend. 

Also, ignore other guides because one time, I looked up what type of hat I should be wearing, and a website for a fashion magazine which shall remain unnamed said this: 

Oh yeah, just let me go get my hat on and I'll start robbing people with my Merry Men.


Anyway, are you a hat-wearer or are you like "Um, no thanks." 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm cool with hats if it doesn't look like I'm wearing it as a prop.

I feel comfortable wearing something that has a purpose, like a toque. Baseball hats are okay. Anything too structured makes me feel pretentious (please refer to the cover photo of Wilson-Philipps' first album from 1990.)

Unknown said...

I also thought I wasn't a hat person until a couple years ago. Now I love them - baseball caps, fedoras, panama hats. They really save the hair color from the sun on those weekends when I'm at a baseball tournament all day long.

Jae said...

Linda, both of my kids are in baseball this year and I am just learning how much time outside it means for me. Holy mother of mercy it's time consuming.

Nora, I just googled the cover because I forgot. And point taken.

nancy john said...

Today Fashion become a passion of life and those picture really great and specially your dress so much beautiful.

leather apparels style

Unknown said...

I have a panama hat, white straw with a navy hatband that makes me feel relaxed and chic at the same time, and reminds me of my late dad, who wore a suit and tie every single day with a fedora in winter and a panama in summer. Love, love, love it. I am sorry and please feel free to hate me but there is no money on this planet that would get me in a baseball cap, guys.

Allison Hill said...

I love hats but I never know what to do with my hair-i always feel like I look awful if I take it off so I'm wary.

Heidi J said...

I only wear a hat on a day when we are going to be in the sun by the water all day, and then it is the baseball-cap-with-the-ponytail-through-hole kindof day. And that hat does NOT come off until I am home with no witnesses to see my hair afterwards (shudder).

luxurygirl said...

Love those hats!
Stylephotos

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.