8 Completely Lovable Swim Trends to Try

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

I know, I know, I'm sorry: It's time to start talking about swimwear again. I know it's the first week of May, but it's going to start heating up and it's good to have a month head start. I know I've been looking around.

Let's just take a moment to thank our lucky stars that there is so much CHOICE when it comes to women's swimwear now. It used to be that everyone had to wear those high-cut Baywatch bathing suits and that wasn't even a good look for the women actually on Baywatch.

Therefore, there is way too many options for you to be scared of swimwear this year. I've been seeing cuts, colors and styles for literally every body type and issue. Moral of the story: Nothing should be between you and the beach (or local pool) this year.

Quick disclaimer: Because swimwear is so touchy (hi, let's hang out almost completely naked) I really don't judge when it comes to swimwear styles. I think it's one area where you should wear whatever makes you feel amazing, whether that's one-piece, tankini, bikini, whatever. Just as long as you're not getting into the pool in like, shorts and a t-shirt because that's comfortable for no one. I don't believe swimwear is like, this personal crusade that defines your whole belief system. It's just a bunch of Lycra, so whatever.

Moving on: Here are some of my fave swimsuit trends this year. Seriously, I am actually overjoyed at all the cool stuff designers are doing to acknowledge that we aren't all shaped the same. Thanks, guys.

I love: Feature Tops



This just in: I have small boobs. But I'm pretty "whatever" about it. And I've come to appreciate the fact that girls will small boobs can pull off looks that some of our generously-endowed friends cannot. I love love intricate feature tops like this one. It adds a ton of interest to the suit (and a little visual pick-me-up). This is adorable -- I'm also loving flutter tops and sweetheart necklines this year too.

I love: Super Chic One-Pieces



If you're more of a one-piece girl, I can totally respect that. I have no torso to speak of, so they can look awkward on me, but I do have one! And how much do I appreciate the fact that one-pieces had a teen movie-like makeover recently? This one could not be hotter with the one shoulder strap and the little peekaboo. Add an oversized hat, a maxi and wedges and I will actually hate you for being so cool.

I love: Flaw-Hiding but Totally Cool Tankini Tops



I'm pretty obsessed with these loose tankini tops lately (which you can find with or without straps). I think they're a perfect way to modernize your swimwear even if you're not ready to put everything on display. They're modest without frumpy, and as a mom who is constantly eating churros at the pool, I can respect that. 

I love: Fuller Coverage Tops


Could you not just die from cuteness overload right now? I am definitely into the fuller-coverage sleeve on swimsuits and will definitely probably grab one for myself. Last year I bought a rash guard and loved having something to keep my shoulders covered. Obviously this is less functional, but still so super cute. And there's something so sex-ay about unexpectedly showing a little less skin, you know?

I love: Crocheted Tankinis


You can go ahead and thank Pinterest for this one. There was like, one singular crocheted tankini in existence last year and this year, they're everywhere after it was pinned a bajilion times. Perfect for showing a little skin without committing to a bikini. Just remember that the top is supposed to be a little loose, rather than like, skin tight.

I love: Midkinis


I bought a midkini (a corset-like bikini top that comes lower down on the rib cage) last year and it ended up being my favorite suit ever. I liked that it gave some extra coverage and added a ton of interest to the top half, while looking totally appropriate with more moderately-cut bottoms. It's kind of a vintage-y and girly look that I love. I definitely have my eye on this one. 

I love: Ombre Suits


Listen up, girls-who-don't-like-their-hips: Ombre suits are kind of genius. Because they start light and melt into a darker color, they can help minimize parts you might not be in love with. The best part? Ombre is totally on point, so you look really good doing it. Just look for a suit that is lighter at the top -- a pattern like this paired with a deep-v is also super flattering. 

I love: Paneling

                         

If you tend to worry about being wide across the middle (or the chest) look for a swimsuit that has panels of solid color down the sides. It'll create a nice, long line of pattern from your neck to your hips and the black is super flattering. I always say it's like the swimsuit equivalent of one of those swimsuit coverups sassy old women wear that have a bikini body printed on them. 

Also, plus size girls, I feel ya: Trying to find swimwear that supports the girls and doesn't look matronly is tough stuff. MY only advice is to try on, try on, try on. And then try on some more. Look for moderately-sized patterns and fun details (I love the tie on this one) One shoulders on plus sizes are awesome too!

Alright, does that help remove some swimsuit trepidation? It's pouring rain here, so it's kind of hard to think that we're just a few weeks away from lazy pool days, which I am very excited about. Now -- onto the swimsuit search!

Have any favorite trends you wanna share?


13 comments:

Unknown said...

What? Swimsuits arent a personal crusade which determines your belief system? My life has been a lie! Literally my last holiday was in 2009 but love the black swimsuit with the strap detail, I have a similar one. I would say, as a, ahem, curvy girl, not to discount bright colours if you're busty or plus size, I have a gorgeous red suit that I've had lots of compliments for but try it on, but for pete's sake check what it looks like at the back! Also Jae, you asked a while ago for ideas and I can't remember which post but it might be an idea to feature some readers' outfits, especially for theme weeks like work, plus size, etc x

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi J said...

Last year I bought a rash guard and swim shorts to go jet-skiing, but ended up wearing them all summer at the pool cuz they made me feel cute and sporty (I rarely feel sporty) and have a handy pocket for keys and money (rarely do tankinis have those!). Now I want them in every color. But I AM tempted by that black one-piece. Supercute.

Piiches said...

Ok I got a challenge for you Jae! I am busy, pregnant, and have very small hips. Going to Florida to sit on the beach for a week in beginning of September and I need a suit. BUT I don't want to spend much cause it prolly won't get used much after that...

Piiches said...

Not busy, busty. Well I am busy but not in this context lol

Jennifer Wells said...

As someone with giant knockers, I envy girls who have a little less. Bras are cuter, and all of the reasons you mentioned. No adorable flutter tops for me.

Jae said...

Avril, good point about the color! I love red for swimwear. And I would LOVE to feature reader outfits!

Heidi, I love my rashguard too! I wore it all over the place in Hawaii for the same reasons as you -- I loved how sporty it looked. Also, no burns, which is a must for a whitey like me.

Kristen! You're having a baby!! And because you're small in the hips and bigger up top, you need a two-piece, like a tankini! And, if you find bottoms with a little added embellishment, like these with the side ties, they can balance out your smaller bottom:
http://www.target.com/p/liz-lange-for-target-maternity-swim-skirt-black/-/A-15048689#prodSlot=_1_2

Then, add a cool top (with good support) and you're good to go. You guys have a Target up there, right? http://www.target.com/p/liz-lange-for-target-maternity-embellished-floral-tankini-swim-top-black-gray-white/-/A-14942335#

Even Forever 21 has a decent maternity swim line as long as you're smaller, which you totally are.

Jae said...

Nora, there are times when I envied you chesty girls. But I've definitely made peace with mine lol! We had a heart-to-heart and I decided that it was OK to not have Baywatch boobs.

Piiches said...

I hear you on that!! Plus they don't have as much about really good support

Piiches said...

Awesome! Thanks Jae! Yes we have target, but our forever 21 doesn't have maternity. It's hard to find maternity of any type here. But at least I'm big for the summer and can wear flowy clothes!

Unknown said...

I can notice that you are an expert at the field! I am launching a site soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Nice your help and wishing you all the success in your business.
wholesale girls swimwear

Dwayne Smith said...

Anyone can shop women's swimwear online here for quality products here at the right price and without involving much effort for the same. One can also buy swimwear online.

Micheal Alexander said...

I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Bathing Suits that hide Tummy Bulge

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.