Fall Boot Eye Candy and the Time I Rolled My Eyes So Hard My Contact Fell Out

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

So the other day I was on a mission: find a new pair of boots. Do I already have a large collection of boots? Yes. But I was looking for a specific kind of boot -- a mid-length black boot with grungy details and a wide mouth. I've been wearing a lot of military-type outfits and my brown midi boots didn't always cut it.

Anyway, as a last-ditch effort I popped into the Payless in our teensy town and started browsing. Cue the always-intense Payless shoe salesgirl who popped over to tell me all about the fall sale. "It's a really big deal," she said. Great. I love a sale. She asked if I was looking for anything in particular and I lied and said no, but I'd let her know if I needed help.

She then proceeded to point out which shoes were "really fashionable this season." I wandered away and then proceeded to roll my eyes so hard that my contact bubbled and I had to poke it back in. That's a serious eye-roll, folks.

That got rid of her for about two seconds. She came back to show me a line of comfort 1" heels. Like, I don't know how to say this -- but I don't feel I look like the kind of girl who wears "comfort" shoes. But I nodded and make affirmative noises to make her feel good and she went to another aisle for a while.

While she was gone, I miraculously found the exact boot I'd been looking for and tried them on. They fit and I picked them up to check out. She came back. THIS time she wanted to show me a pair of leopard-print wedges. I'm guessing because I was wearing leopard flats? I was clearly standing there with a box with boots, but I then felt pressured to try on the wedges (they were horrendous).

Finally, another customer came in and I had five seconds to breathe. Of course, then I had to check out and explain to her that I ONLY wanted the boots and no I did not want to buy leopard wedges while she looked personally offended. It was awful. I left there feeling emotionally drained, all for these. On the bright side, they're exactly what I wanted -- mid-calf, wide top and a little slouch. On the down side, I'm terrified of ever going into that store again.

Anyway, to stop you from experiencing shoe salesperson guilt trips, I've rounded up some of my fave fall boots for you.

I'm all about comfort this year, so most are flat or have a small heel at best. Heeled boots have their place, but that is not at the pumpkin patch, amiright? I also like a little interest in the form of buckles and straps, along with a nice, wide top that you can stuff your jeans into.

I know heeled booties are also back for fall, but I'm just not a bootie kinda gal. I have a big butt and a sleek little bootie heel makes me look like a watermelon walking around on toothpicks. I don't begrudge others for wearing them, they just aren't for yours truly.

So check out my picks for mid and knee-length boots and may your shopping experience be much less eye-rolling than mine.

What kind of boot are you looking for this fall? Tell me so I can copy you and make my husband mad when I ask for more shoe storage yaaaay.


short

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I HATE when sales people stalk me! Look, I'm not going to steal anything and I have the intelligence to choose my own products, mkay? But I do like these:
http://cdn2.next.co.uk/Common/Items/Default/Default/ItemImages/AltItemShot/869660.jpg

Jennifer Wells said...

I like this post because I'm trying to find reasonably comfortable shoes that aren't sporty or ugly right now.This is hard to do. At least for me. I think boots will be the solution.

By the way, the subject line of this post really did make me LOL.

Jae said...

I've worn my new boots for the past three days and they are suuuuuper comfy, so I concur Nora!

Avril, I get all like "YOU DON'T KNOW MY LIFE" when they start making suggestions. Ughhhh

Anonymous said...

"I CAN'T THINK WITH YOU BREATHING DOWN MY NECK, OKAY??"

That's what you should have said.

Allison Hill said...

I ADORE those boots, and I WANT THEM...but...does anyone else think that payless is getting a little, um, above themselves lately? I don't go to payless for $45 boots. Sorry, but I don't. I go there for the BOGO and the $15 fad shoes I'm not going to invest in. If I'm going to pay that much for shoes I'm sure not paying it to them!

Jae said...

Allison, I agree. I'm in there for a deal! I did get them on sale if it helps you sleep better at night.

Hallebose said...

Lol
I like boots too but fortunately, I don’t need that many. I tend to collect sandals more. I just bought a pair today. Yaay. I’ve been longing for a new pair of leather sandals for a while and I saw the most beautiful pair today. I was worried that, like with many comfortable shoes I like, they wouldn’t have my size but they did and they were right within budget. God is blessing me with the things I like and I will find room ;-)

bequi said...

http://www.maurices.com/product/index.jsp?expcsl=1082319||&productId=20118136

THESE in both colors. They're so comfortable! And adorable!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.