What I Wore: The Uniform

Monday, October 21, 2013

Yesterday was one of those days that I totally sabotaged myself. Instead of getting ready, like I should have been, I instead watched two episodes of "Four Weddings" while eating mint brownies out of the package. When it was time to go, I had about 30 minutes to get ready from start to finish.

Now, I've heard the idea of having a "uniform" -- a go to combination of clothes that always helps you feel put-together. While I don't think you should dress the same every day, I think it's a good idea to have a few go-to outfits that you can throw on with minimal fuss. Here are my "uniforms."

A pencil skirt with a button up and pointy pumps for semiformal.
Skinny jeans with boots and a tee for everyday.
Straight jeans with a v-neck tee and a blazer for going out.

By knowing what looks good, I can mix and match items on the fly and waste time watching wedding shows for reasons I don't understand instead of standing in front of my closet. Awesome.

Here was my uniform in action yesterday.

Button-up: JCPenney (here) (love!) (with a collar)
Skirt: F21 (ooh designer!) (cheaper) (similar)
Shoes: Mossimo (flat) (omg yes) (on sale!)
Necklace: Nordstrom (pretty!) (bolder)
Cuffs: Gucci, Marc Jacobs

Easy peasy, right? Although I might live in my skinny jeans/ boots combo more often than I should, I love having a closetful of clothes that I don't have to really think about, you know? 

So, if you could define your uniform in a few words, what would you call it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wear jeans more often than I would like to admit.

Knee-high boots, jeans, cuddly sweaters for now.

MPES PFA said...

"preppy/punky". Usually some variation on skinny jeans with a funkier t-shirt and cardigan, then roughed up a bit with rhinestone ear plugs, big black specs, and chunky leather and metal bracelets. So from a distance all presentable in my cardi, but up close all the little badass up details come into focus. Take off the cardigan, put on motorcycle boots, and I'm ready to go out on the town.

jeans said...

I am a college prof so I have 2 main uniforms:

Basic: black pants or nice dark jeans + shirt + blazer or jacket + nice but comfortable low heels, boots or flat.

Nicer: dress or skirt with sleeveless layer shell + pretty cardigan + vintage pin or scarf.

Monique said...

I am a lawyer so on work days usually a boring skirt suit with a coloured top, and my range on Nine West stilettos (red, black, black snakesin or purple alligator), or a print jersey dress with a blazer. Wardrobe desperately needs updating as am SO bored with it all but....

When not at work am mum to a 20 month old, so usually jeans/tshirt/cardi and boots or ballet flats, but right now we seem to have skipped spring and hit summer, so maxi skirts, denim skirts and tshirt or maxi dresses with flip flops or sandals.

I used to have such lovely things before kids, now my 50+ pairs of fab heels only get an outing on Sundays! Currently compiling my Christmas list of clothes I need to get out of my rut, with lots of funky accessories and some more pencil skirts and basics to update my look. Am too young to look like I've thrown in the towel!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.