Fashion Week Trends for Normal People (Spring 2014)

Thursday, September 19, 2013

I will fully admit that I have only a passing interest in Fashion Week. Because most of the time, it's one giant pat on the back for fashion and one giant eye roll from yours truly. I kid you not, I was paging through FW pics last week and saw no fewer than four men wearing backwards jackets. And I was like, where have I seen that before?

Date Night! Steve Carell, marry me. Tina Fey, be my Sister Wife.

Anyway, while I'm pretty much over hearing about FW on EVERY blog EVER, I do think it's worth it to take a look at some of the trends. Because you'll start seeing these in stores and then you're going to be like "What am I supposed to do with this?" and I want you to then be like "Oh yeah, Jae already told me."

We're friends.

Anyway, here's some of the stuff I picked up on while looking at pictures of men wearing backwards suit jackets.

1. Lavender

fwss14



Rare London cream lace dress, $38 / AĆ©ropostale slim fit denim jacket / Hue navy blue tight / Strap boots, $48 / Wet Seal imitation purse / GUESS necklace

Step off, cobalt. There's a new color in town. Lavender is kind of a big deal. And while it's traditionally a spring-y color (duh Spring Fashion Week) you can still pull it off in fall. I'm kind of obsessed with lavender with navy, so I love transitioning the color with some tights and a jean jacket. You could totally wear this to like, to an adorable baby shower or whatnot. PS how mad is Fashion Week that I totally mom-ify all of the trends with normal people activities? Answer: very mad.

2. Slits
fwss14


OK, so the majority of slits for FW were like, up to the navel on leggy models, but that doesn't mean it's completely off-limits to mere mortals like you and me. A maxi skirt with a just-above-knee high slit totally works. Just remember that if you're showing some skin, the rest of your outfit should be covered up, lest I think you're a boozy boylover. Also, it's a fun way to show off super cute boots, but still be semi-warm (OMG today is downright chilly and I LOVE IT).

3. Draping
fwss14


Oh, look who just made the lavender thing come full circle. Yes, it was me! Draping give regular shirts some interest, which means you can totally dress down without a hundred layers. And, in the spirit of telling you guys everything, I will admit I bought this draped dress while prepping this post. A style blog for a shopaholic is a bad combo. Anyway, draping, wraps and whatnot are hyper-flattering and super easy to wear, especially if you want to camouflage some extra weight. This on your next girls' lunch? Perf.

4.Graphic Prints
fwss14


Let's be honest, when are graphic prints NOT a trend a FW? But yes, they are back again. Baroque was in like, a season or two ago, but this type of pattern is a little more zoomed-in and Aztec-y, because that's totally a fashion term. I love the jewel tone of this skirt and worn with a moto jacket (also very big for fall) it's like, hot date night material.

5. Non-Average White Button-Ups
nwss14




Or is it button-down I NEVER KNOW. Anyway, I love this because roughly 70 percent of my wardrobe is made up of button-ups. My body was made for them -- my lifestyle is not. So I love to see a button-up that is toned-down enough for casual wear. This tuxedo style makes me say squee. Yes, squee. And how cute with colored skinnies and patterned flats? Totally appropriate for casual wear and you could also get away with it in a casual office setting too, so score!


So there's my deciphering skills at work. It's fun reporting on FW when I'm sipping on Crystal Light and wearing workout clothes like a boss (I promise I'm actually wearing them to work out). As always, let's just take a moment to remember that it's *only* fashion. Update your wardrobe on the stuff you love, pass on the stuff that's not for you and let's all move along.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Absolutely love the outfits you post. What is funny is that I have many of the items in my closet, but don't ever see them put together like this. Thanks!

Allison Hill said...

Sooooo glad lavender is in because 90% of my wardrobe is some shade of purple. I swear I don't do it on purpose! It just happens that way...

I was hanging up my laundry the other day and realized that all 5 of the shirts in my hand were the exact same shade of purple. At least they were all different styles. I think I have a problem. And an excuse to go shopping!

Janelle said...

Such a cute post, Jae. I, too am loving navy&lavendar. Happy trending!!

Jennifer Wells said...

I think you're on to something with this navy/lavender idea.

nancy john said...

Its basically all about trendy accessories and that is what women bother the most which is a good thing because fashion should be the one that is in trends.

Women's Fashion

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.