Boob Week: For Big-Chested Girls

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

OK, those of the big boob variety -- it's your time to shine. I know it kind of seems like  a history professor teaching a science class because I haven't been as blessed as you, but I did get to experience the glory of big boobs with my pregnancies and nursing. And boy was it fun. PS my friends and I just saw Austenland yesterday and now I have a burning desire to use the word "bosom" throughout this post.

But I digress.

But still, here's why it's awesome to have a big bosom tee hee:
1. You have big boobs.
2. No one ever wonders if you're a guy or a girl, even if you have an androgynous name like Alex. I had a waiter like that once.
3. You always have a place to rest snacks.
4. Joan from Mad Men. I girl crush on her so hard.

I totally get where big boobs can be annoying. You end up with guys constantly looking down your shirt when all you really want is a good back massage because those suckers HURT. For me, dressing big knockers isn't about shamefully hiding them, but dressing so that a) people look at your face (I'm not even gonna lie, when boobs are out I don't know where to look) and b) you create the best shape possible for your bod. 

Here's some tips.

  • Define. A. Waist. Big boobs can make you look heavier than you really are when you wear baggy clothes. Shirts that have bubble hems, square hems and the like probably aren't for you. You need more structure so use a belt or buy tops with distinct parts for the bodice and bottom.
  • Accessorize with skinnier scarves. I have a friend with waaay more boobage than me (Hi, T!) and she was complaining that big scarves like I wear make her feel like there is A LOT of volume. A skinny scarf will allow you to accessorize without feeling like you're suffocating to death. 
  • When choosing necklines, your best bet are scoop and v-necks. They'll help to define your shape and slim you out a bit. Steer clear of sweetheart necklines unless you're Dolly Parton. And definitely avoid anything with a high neck. I'm looking at you, big-boobs in a turtleneck.
  • Watch out for skinny straps. Now listen, I don't really like tank tops on anyone over the age of 17. And the skinnier the strap, the bigger EVERYTHING else looks. If you must wear a strap (and seriously, I think there are a bazillion other sleeve lengths more flattering ) look for something that is thicker. It'll give you more support and not show off this huge expanse of skin.
  • Go for tailored styles whenever possible. A blazer? Perfect because it gives you a more defined shape. Even if you like  a more boho look, layering a more structured cardi over a loosey goosey shirt will help counteract the unstructured style.
  • Make friends with a tailor. I don't have big boobs, but I do have hips that are much larger than my waist. Buying pants a size up and tailoring them back is the only way to get the right fit. With you, it'll be tops -- structured blazers and tailored shirts may need to be purchased a size bigger. For $15 you can have some darts put in so it fits perfectly. 
  • Skip anything described as "chunky." Like necklaces and sweaters. They'll only emphasize size.
  • Look for tops and dresses with stretch. Stiff fabrics create serious uniboob. 
More inspiration pour vous. 
big1




Look: Your boobs are hard on your back, but they are glorious to behold. Dress 'em so that you completely use them at their fullest advantage without like, scarring a small child for life.

Next up, it's all about bras. Check back for some bra shopping tips and that time a girl awkwardly gave me a coupon for free undies in a Victoria's Secret.

11 comments:

Allison Hill said...

I've never found blazers to be my friend. Maybe I'm wearing the wrong kind of blazer? Is that possible? I would LOVE to wear a blazer, but they never look right and only seem to add to the bulk of my, shall we say, generous ladies...

Lauren said...

^ What Allison said.

Jae said...

Allison, have you tried a difference "stance"? Meaning, buttoning higher rather than lower? I find that a higher stance is better for bug busts. Too low and they look sloppy. You may also need to invest in tailoring if you want to wear the blazer buttoned.

Jae said...

Oh! ANd another idea -- a draped chiffon blazer that doesn't actually button. Look for skinnier lapels too.

Unknown said...

Ok, would you mind if almost literally "weigh in" here. I have mahoosive breasts (G cup - OMG, blush, I know.)and although I'd love to be smaller, I'm not willing to go through the surgery.

I do think that what works for women hugely depends on their other proportions i.e. if you have a prominent stomach and by this I mean larger than your bust, you should still dress for that part before your breasts. If you have big boobs but a bigger lower half, still dress as a pear shape - you can always still incorporate tips such as wearing V-necks or wrap style tops, although please don't overshare your cleavage, ok? Ever.

Personally, I have 10 inches difference between my chest and waist and 8 of difference between hips and waist. My own tips for this shape? Please swear in blood never to wear a rollneck/poloneck/turtleneck. Skinny scarves can be a double edged sword - a skinny long scarf can look lonely amidst the vast expanse of your chest. You could substitute this for a summer style, light scarf instead. Blazers are hit and miss but in my opinion, buying a collarless jacket looks clean, trim and doesn't add volume. Big boobs shouldn't be anywhere near big volume necklaces - by that I mean baubly,spheric beads - but, flat statement necklaces in clean designs looks great. Sorry, Jae, just COMPLETELY hijacked your blog but trust me, I'm a 38 year old with 20 years of dressing these bad girls!

Jae said...

I like when you hijack my blog! It's awesome to get more perspective and you're totally right about proportion.

Maggie said...

I hate dressing for my boobs. It's so hard for me to find stuff. And I'm too cheap to use a tailor. I don't even want to spend $15 on a shirt as is. lol I'm sure if I wasn't so cheap I'd find more clothes. This makes me think of those cartoons on pinterest called "Busty Girl Problems" Every single one of them are so true!

The other thing I don't get.... Why would anyone pay someone to give them huge knockers. I don't mean like a C or D. I mean bigger. Like my size (H-ish). I would not wish these boobs on anyone. I don't really want to get rid of them I guess but I definitely wouldn't choose to have huge boobs. Lucky for me they sit/fit well on my height and frame. Thank heavens I'm almost 5'9" lol

And sorry I keep rambling randomness on your blog. lol

Penny said...

Sometimes I buy cardis and jackets a size smaller so they fit my shoulders/arms etc and just accept that they will NEVER be buttoned up!!!

Penny said...

Sometimes I buy cardis and jackets a size smaller so they fit my shoulders/arms etc and just accept that they will NEVER be buttoned up!!!

Penny said...

Sometimes I buy cardis and jackets a size smaller so they fit my shoulders/arms etc and just accept that they will NEVER be buttoned up!!!

Jae said...

Maggie, I always think that about boob jobs too. But whatever, if it makes you happy, right? lol. But be prepared to have some serious clothing issues.

I also like to think that if I were to get a boob job (not that I ever, ever would) I would be totally honest. I'd be like "Hey guys check out my new boobs they're totally fake y'all!"

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.