Boob Week: Adventures in Bra Shopping

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fun fact: I had more hits on small boob day than on big boob day. Does that mean that most of my readers have small boobs? Questions of the universe...

Anyway, this post isn't about bra advice, because I've already done that here. It's more about the surviving of the actual bra shopping. I am pretty picky with bras because hello, you wear them every day. I'm also picky because I HATE bra shopping. I feel so inept and dumb and frumpy when compared to the sleek girls who always work a lingerie shops and always know way more than me. I've gotten more comfortable over the years, but I still totally procrastinate getting a new bra. Here are some things that make it less vomit-inducing for yours truly.

  • Wear a bra. Just do it. When you don't, you make Tina Fey uncomfortable.
  • Dress appropriately, especially if you'll be getting measured. You'll be measured over your bra and if you're wearing a huge padded bra, your measurements are going to be skewed. I suggest wearing a thin T-shirt bra. If you're nervous about disrobing in front of a complete stranger, you have two options. 1) Wear a thin T-shirt over your bra and ask the lady to measure over top or 2) Measure yourself at home. Here's how
  • Measure often. I would say every 6 to 12 months. Your boob size totally fluctuates with weight, skin sag (that's gross to say), pregnancy and age. You are not the same size you were in high school so stop buying your bras that way. 
  • Go alone. Bra shopping is not when you want to be wrangling kids in the fitting room or locating your son as he feels up a mannequin (I have a brother who did this as a kid). You'll need some time, so pawn the kids off on your husband. 
  • If you have less boobage, you don't have to be as choosy as to where you buy your bra. Most lingerie and department stores will have your size. If you have larger boobs, I would say to head to a department store where there are more than just one brand of bra. That way, you can try on a variety and choose one that fits you rather than being stuck with just one brand and fit. 
  • Do the test. When you're trying on a bra, lean forward and see how it looks. If your boobs are totally spilling over like a 1890s barmaid, you may need to go up a side. If your boobs aren't filling the cup at all, you may need to go down a size.You want a nice cleavage bump and that's it.
  • Put a shirt on over top of the bra when trying on. You should check to see if any of the bra parts - ie, lace - are visible through the shirt. 
  • Buy different bras for different purposes. I have everyday molded bras, going out pushup bras, convertible bras and T-shirt bras. One bra might not cut it for all of the different clothes you wear. 
  • Don't over-buy your bra. If you have small boobs, you don't need all the bells and whistles of someone who needs more support. In fact, I am constantly taking underwires out of bras and swimsuits because I don't need 'em. If a salesgirl tries to sell you on breathable mesh and spaceage design, give her the stinkeye and ask for something more basic. 
  • Be prepared to shell out. Bras are expensive and it's a bummer, but you're going to be wearing it A LOT. Budget for it. Especially if your bras are typically hard to fit.
  • Check your back. A good bra band should be tight enough that it supports you and wide enough so that you don't get back fat. If your back looks kind of sausage-y, you need yo go up in band size. It should feel smooth and supportive. 
  • Move around. I've found many a slippy shoulder strap by rolling my shoulders and moving around in a bra to see if I can detect any problems before I buy.
  • Stop worrying about your boobs in general. I get it. The bra fitting room is weird. You're forced to look at yourself in harsh lighting and you're intimidated by the lady who keeps flinging other bras over the top of the door at you. But big boobs, small boobs, lopsided boobs, ski-slope boobs -- the point of a good bra is to make them look their best.
  • Know that this is not normal. Not only do normal people not look like this when trying on bras, but I have never once just casually hung out with my friends in our bras and undies while taking seductive pictures. Don't compare yourself to the images in the store and feel frustrated when a bra doesn't magically give you huge boobs, better abs and equally hot friends.

 When I was like, 13, I was sitting in my room listening to music when my mom flung a padded bra at me and closed the door and I realized that she was trying to tell me something THANKS MOM. Hopefully your first bra experience was better than mine. And hopefully your next bra experience is less traumatizing. I just bought some, so I'm pretty much golden until like, 2015.

5 comments:

Sheriece said...

Also watch Double Divas because it's both ridiculously uncomfortable and completely
hilarious at the same time.

Maggie said...

BOOBS!!! lol I totally do that with my friends. I don't know what you're talking about...... haha

I have huge tracks of land. It sucks so hard when it comes to shopping/finding bras. I currently go to Karnation Intimate Apparel in Twin Falls. If anyone lives in Twin Falls, Pocatello, or Idaho Falls ID, then you should totally go there to buy bras. They are so awesome and so helpful and they go up to size like J or something like that. I'm like a H or G and I will never go anywhere else.

Also, if you are large chested, don't go to Victoria's Secret. In all the times I tried going there when I was a DD and then bigger than a DD but didn't realize yet they tried to squeeze me into their sizes. I would never go there to get fit ever. Sorry for the mini rant! lol

But I agree. Shell out for a good bra. Especially if you got big knockers like me. It is so worth it and is so nice for your back.

P.S. I love all the obnoxious was to refer to bazongas, deal with it. bahahaha!

Jae said...

Sheriece, yes! Bad reality shows are my spirit animal.

Maggie, I totalllllly agree with you on VS. Some of my busty friends have had the same complaints.

Anonymous said...

"Bad reality shows are my spirit animal."

ha ha ha

Also, I just want to say this one more time:

Boobs.

bequi said...

If you have giant boobs and live in Utah, buy your bras at Lace by Louise. They are super expensive (close to $100 per) but will fit correctly and look good. And the sales ladies are amazing.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.