Summer Dresses on a Budget

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

If it seems like I've been wearing dresses and skirts a lot, it's probably because I've been wearing dresses and skirts lot. Temps are in the triple digits here and I find pants and shorts generally insufferable, so out come the dresses! If you're still shying away from dresses, I can't see why: They're one piece, super easy, and the fastest way to look put together.

Need more reasons? Check out some of these awesome summer dresses and ideas. I did my best to keep the prices under $50 and find places that'll ship to the U.S. My apologies to your husband and your bank account.

Nautical Dresses:
Nautical Dresses

Nautical is SO summer. Navy, red, and white with graphic prints like stripes or dots is the fastest way to achieve it. Grab one of these and throw around words like "starboard" for no apparent reason. Extra points if you wear gold jewelry and constantly refer to your husband as "first mate."

Cocktail Dresses:


Cocktail Dresses


Wallis animal print dress / Dorothy Perkins floral print dress, $46 / Dorothy Perkins dress, $46 / Dorothy Perkins grey dress, $47 / Wallis black cocktail dress / Platform heels / Peep toe shoes / Wet Seal platform shoes / Charlotte Russe high heel pumps / Michael Antonio shoes

So, if you have an evening wedding to attend during the summer, the trick to hot
weather cocktail dresses is to wear fewer accessories.
Honestly, a good cocktail dress is kind of like an accessory itself.
Look for details; lace, patterns and texture all count.
Then, add some crazy awesome shoes and you're pretty much done.


Maxi Dresses:


Maxi Dresses



If you didn't notice, maxi dresses are kind of a summer staple for me.
It's like wearing pajamas to WalMart only more socially acceptable. The gold standard
for maxi dresses are wedges, but they're totally cute with flat strappy
sandals too. I bought an adorable maxi to wear tomorrow and I'm excited
in a nerdy fashion kinda way. I also like having some maxi dresses
that I can wear alone and some that look better with layers. YAY SUMMER.


Casual Dresses:
Casuual Dresses





A|Wear cap sleeve dress, $16 / Wrap dress / H&M dress, $31 / A|Wear lace cocktail dress, $47 / Dorothy Perkins cotton dress, $34 / H&M dress, $39 / Wallis print dress / Military dress / Suede boots / A|X Armani Exchange leather sandals / Oasis leopard loafer, $37 / TOMS flat / Michael Antonio gold sandals / N.Y.L.A. wedge heels / Beige shoes / Charlotte Russe glitter flat

What do I wear when grocery shopping, checking out the farmer's mark,
or ignoring my children while they play at the park?
Why, casual dresses of course ! I find them to be way cooler than shorts and hello!?
They're totally adorable. Wear 'em with flats, sandals, and boots...
TOMS too if you can handle it and don't hate them.
(I heart mine, so there you go.)

Peplum Dresses:
Peplum Dresses




Dorothy Perkins peplum dress, $23 / Dorothy Perkins peplum dress, $39 / Dorothy Perkins peplum dress, $47 / Platform heels / Platform shoes / Restricted high heels / Forever 21 beaded clutch / Clutch handbag / Clutch handbag


Peplum dresses are SO summer for two reasons.
1) It's just fun to say "peplum." Try it right now! I wasn't lying.
2) It's a fun change from the same old dresses.
Super ladylike, I love them for formal stuff and business. Add a cardi to dress one down.
How do you make sure your peplum is modern and not scary 80s?
Look for more demure peplum. A bow or just a halfsie peplum feature is more 2012 than an entire Madonna-esque half skirt from your senior prom.





In short, I'm saying that dresses are awesome for summer and
you should wear them constantly.

Which one's your fave? Are you a dress wearer or do you fear that moment
when you wear a dress somewhere outside of church and someone is
like "Why are you all dressed up?" Ugh, so annoying.

24 comments:

Jessica said...

I love the Joules one.

Heather Smoke said...

I wear dresses and skirts constantly in the summer, partly because I love them, and partly because I'm bottom-heavy and I think they're more flattering than pants and shorts. But yeah, why do people have to always ask, why are you so dressed up? I feel like replying, why do you look like a slob? ;)

Kristy said...

I've really embraced the skirts this summer. I love them more than dresses, mostly because I'm 6 feet tall, so most "knee length" dresses put me in "too old to be wearing a dress that short" territory! I wear shorts occasionally, but find them hot and uncomfortable in this blasted heat! My 4-year old asks me everyday if it's Sunday because I'm "wearing church clothes!" Thanks for the inspiration--I should hunker down and try on more dresses one of these days.

Anonymous said...

I've said this before, but I'm afraid that dresses/skirts will eventually be phased out, the same way that hats and gloves have been. Next time you go shopping, notice how forever-long your choice of jeans will be, then compare that to the section for skirts.

--Nora Non-ymous B.

Factory Fashion said...

I love all of maxi dresses. The detail and cut of the dress is so beautiful and the colours are so beautiful

Ture Fashion said...

Exquisite is one word that comes to mind

Incredible Fashion said...

These photos are so beautiful and the colors are amazing!!

Jae said...

Kristy, I hear you on the height thing. Proportions can go wrong on me because I'm a shorty. I would look for mid-length (sometimes called midi) dresses... they'll probably hit you like a knee-length dress would.

Heather, I'm stealing your slob comment. Awesome.

Nora, let's bring gloves and hats back? Downton Abbey FTW!

Current Fashion said...

Nice summer dresses!!Thank you for finding!

Fashion Accessory said...

Thanks for sharing with!Love your blog,big fan of it!

Fashion Mall said...

Fantastic out fits!!Hope you can sharing more with us!

Vogue Sky said...

I've just come across your blog and absolutely love it. I spent ages scrolling through your posts; I just adore your style!

Modern Sky said...

Love all the outfits,esp. those shoes!

Fashion Infor said...

A wonderful post... love the clothing..Thanks for sharing.

Fashion Vogue said...

Your blog is a work of fashion! with fashion is so interesting coming from a perspective of modesty. Perfect, much creativity, and wonderful photography. Very nice collection and I really enjoyed your blog.

Leah said...

Ummm is a nice troll a thing now?

Fashion Ind said...

wow, love the peplum dresses and all the colours. Big fan of your blog.

High Vogue said...

Love your blog! And your style. Thanks for sharing it with women.

Vogue World said...

I wanted to say thanks to you for this great read!!The article is very good, I like it very much.Here I learned a lot, then I will pay more attention to you.

Fashion Hour said...

This outfit is perfect! The detail and cut of the dress is so beautiful and the heels...gorgeous

Fashion Industry said...

Such relaxing and calm colours!

Fashion Times said...

I have been following your blog for a quite a while, it is really inspiring.I like it very much.Here I learned a lot, I wanted to say thanks to you for this great read!!

Anonymous said...

I love these summer dresses. I just bought some great new dresses for myself at Burlington. I love the styles and designs I found there. Their prices are great. It was much less expensive than I have seen it for anywhere else. You should look at www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com.

Unknown said...

www0817
oakley sunglasses wholesale
pandora
nike presto femme
cheap basketball shoes
converse shoes
nike blazer pas cher
ugg boots clearance
true religion outlet store
nike requin
nike shoes

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.