The 10 Commandments of Belting

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Hey friends! Did everyone have an awesome Canada Day/4th of July? We went fishing and by fishing I mean my husband and kids played around with worms while I read a book down in the nose of the boat. It was very outdoorsy.

Anyway, I think it's time to talk about belting. It's one of the questions I get the most and sometimes, knowing how to belt clothes is hard to define. When do you go over? When do you go under? Where do you belt? Bahhh so many questions.

But never fear. While I do think it takse a bit of instinct, I can give you some basic commandments to follow when you're faced with belting. Remember these, and you too can belt like a total pro.



1) Thou shalt use a belt for definition. This is the most important of all of the commandments. Belts are used to make a shapeless outfit look sleek and hour-glassy. Anytime you have an outfit that makes people think "Is she pregnant?" and behold, thou is not, belt that sucker! Er... suckerest?


2) However, though shalt not belt things with an elasticized hem. Bubble shirts shall never be belted, as thou shalt look like a mushroom. Instead, save belts for shirts with volume around the middle.


3) Thou shalt try the sloppy tuck with a thick belt. Tucking a sloppy shirt too snugly into your belt will make thee look like thou hast just returned from band camp. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

... but there is.

4) However, thou mayest try a full tuck into a skinny belt as long as the shirt and pants are slim-cut and don't puff out like a pirate shirt around the middle.


5) Thou shalt try belting over multiple thin layers. Belting over thin layers shall give thee shape and connect all of the layers together in an outfit instead of just some sloppy stuff thou hast thrown together by accident. If the uppermost layer is hefty, like a blazer or cardigan, thou mayest belt only the layers underneath.


6) Thou shalt belt at thy natural waist. That's the spot between your hips and and your ribs. It's tiny and makes thee look like Marilyn Monroe. If though beltest too low, thou will look hippy. Too high, and thou wilt look as though thou is with child.

7) Thou should not always use the holes provided on thy belt. Belts can be tied and tucked in different ways.


8) Thou shalt own different belts in different sizes and colors. Then, thou shalt wear a belt that is comparable to the thickness and numbers of layers you're wearing. Therefore, thin belts are best with thinner layers, and thick belts are better over more substantial layers. However, thou should not be scared to experiment.


9) Thou shalt wear belts as an anchor or focal point of an outfit. Belts and shoes must not always match, but can only coordinate if there are no other matching pieces in the outfit. Otherwise, I dost not care.

10) Though shalt give thy belt some wiggle room. Thou must not cinch thy belt too tight, else thou will end up sweaty and uncomfortable all. day. long. Thou might also then need to take thy belt off in the car, and then thy husband will wonder why there are always belts stuck under the seats.

This is not from mine own personal experience.

Geez, all that Bible language hast made me tired.

Seriously though, does that help? Do you have any belt related questions? Hit me! Just not with a belt. That's abuse.

25 comments:

Jenna said...

That IS helpful. Now I just need some more belts.

Jae said...

F21 my friend, F21

Unknown said...

I love this post! I also enjoyed your capri hatred post a while ago, I felt like one of those weirdos who talks to the tv/comp saying "OMG, I totally agree. That's what I've been telling people for forever!!!" haha. Keep up the good work :)

Bri Rios
breezydaysblog@blogspot.com

Jae said...

Bri, please continue talking to yourself in front of the computer. I do it allllll the time and it makes me feel normal when you cop to it too!

the Damsel in Dis Dress said...

Here's a belt question: Any solution for how my belt (just a normal leather belt to wear with jeans, needed to keep them up) creates this big ole bulge in front, when I wear a semi-snug fitting shirt, not tucked in?

Does that even make sense?

Jae said...

I totally know what you're talking about. I would switch it out for a much skinnier belt -- look for ring belts that don't have a huge buckle. OR I've had my jeans tailored to fit without a belt before too because that drives me insane!

Of course, you could totally embrace it and do a sloppy tuck too!

Sarah T. said...

So I've always assumed I couldn't pull off a belt around my waist and over shirts b/c I have a muffin top. Wearing belts there just exagerates said muffin top and i look fatter. Any solution for that?

Jae said...

Have you tried a looser fabric belt as opposed to a stiff leather one? That could help. Also, making sure that you have a little wiggle room means less squishing. You might also need a higher-rise pant. A trouser will fix that because it tucks everything in. After my second baby that's how I fooled everyone into thinking that I lost the weight. lol!

Vogue World said...

It’s fantastic,so gorgeous minti dress!Love these details on it!:))

Fashion Acce said...

I love the first and the last outfits the best, but the other ones are great too!

Fashion Times said...

I’m in love with this entire outfit!

Type Fashion said...

Nice photos!!Thank you for sharing!!<33

Fashion Date said...

They are very beautiful!I love looking at them too!

Advert Fashion said...

You look so beautiful in these dresses!!big fan of your blog!

Advert Fashion said...

These dresses are so nice!!I cannot take my eyes out of them!

Fashion Allure said...

Fantastic dress, and styled beautifully! The last look is my absolute favourite one!

Sanaya Pandit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sanaya Pandit said...

helpful post. i have recnlty started experimenting with belts, wasnt too sure earlier. Will definitely try more looks for my blog, Thanks alot:)

sanaya
http://girl-gulaabi.blogspot.in/

Danielle said...

I have a question about belts. I would like to belt my wedding dress. I am 5'3 and a cross bread beween pear and hourglass. I have a very heavy chest with a very small waist (32GG) my hips and below are where I carry my weight. I have found that the bridal consultants place the belt at my natural waist and it only emphasizes my bust and cuts me off. Thin belts seem to be disproportionate. I was thinking a belt with a wide embellishment in the center that tapers off on the sides. What do you recomend?

Jae said...

I would say to play around with it. Go to an accessories store where you'll have a ton of options and see what you think looks best. Sometimes I see people wearing belts higher than they really need to. The rule is to put it at your smallest part, but that might not be your natural waist, you know? And be careful with the embellishment, since it could make you a little more top heavy. I would go with a mid-to-wide belt with a sleeker look.

Jae said...

I would say to play around with it. Go to an accessories store where you'll have a ton of options and see what you think looks best. Sometimes I see people wearing belts higher than they really need to. The rule is to put it at your smallest part, but that might not be your natural waist, you know? And be careful with the embellishment, since it could make you a little more top heavy. I would go with a mid-to-wide belt with a sleeker look.

April said...

Just stumbled onto your blog when searching for modest fashion ideas. #10 literally made me laugh out loud! I am constantly doing that and it drives my hubby crazy. And I love, love, love your outfit with the red belt/shoes and purple cardigan; perfection!

JamessTR said...

I found a really wonderful post about clothing.Lily Boutique is an online boutique specializing in cute dresses, lace dresses, bridesmaid dresses, lace dresses, homecoming dresses. Yellow Dress

thashiez said...

click to find out more official statement blog here go to my blog why not try here replica dolabuy

meathen said...

luxury replica bags s32 d1g83x5h55 replica bags r98 o4z09z0z12 bags replica gucci y90 x8e58l1g20

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.