Freaky Friday: Etsy Fails

Friday, July 27, 2012

OK, so before I start getting emails about how I'm not supporting starving artists and ruining the world (which has TOTALLY happened before) I will say that there is tons of stuff on Etsy that I love. Since I'm not a "maker" of anything but children and blog posts, I respect artisans who can craft their way to the top. Total aside, but have you ever tried watching Craft Wars on TLC? OMG Tori Spelling makes me want to glue my eyes and ears shut with my mini glue gun. Jewelry, hair accessories and other stuff on Etsy makes me squee. I even love some of the fashion.
Link
This dress needs to get on my body like, now.

But so much of what you find there is so so so so bad. So bad. Cue the hate mail, y'all!



My favorite part about this LOIN CLOTH is the description, which essentially says it's poky and has sharp edges. Why yes, let me put it around the loin area , then!

Also, is it me, or is "steampunk" just mostly used incorrectly to describe something crappy? See also: "rockabilly" and "vintage."


These are listed as upcycled, which always makes me wonder what they were like before. If this is the step up, I'm gonna go ahead and assume they were fished out of the garbage.


Oh good, I was looking for a scarf from Whoville!


I have to admit, I do not "carrot" all for this vest.

Bahahahaha. Puns, amiright?


Let me guess: You make your own toothpaste and reuse toilet paper. Also, you have a "faerie" name that you use during cosplay.



So wait. All I have to do is pay close to $3,000 and I get MAGIC SHOES? Made from WIRE AND TAPE? The Home Depot at which you purchased those materials at must be ENCHANTED!

I love how the description makes Gorilla duct tape sound like something from another realm. These look like my daughter made them in art class.


I didn't know that gold star shorts could be so very sad.


From the "I hope to look as square as humanly possible" collection.


Here's a fun tip: If your piece of clothing could be categorizes as a dress, top, wrap, shawl, poncho, men's t-shirt, it's probably no bueno.


Let me break down the description for you, because it's AWESOME.
This brooch is made of:
Sandpaper
Onion skin
A mysterious red powder from Morocco
Pumpkin skin
A straw

Has this person never heard of composting? That way, you help the planet and don't try to get $50 for someone to throw out your garbage.


This tunic-thingy is pretty much an exact replica from the ROmeo and Juliet scene from the cinematic gem that is "Center Stage." I know all the words to entire movie. I'm not proud of myself, OK?


Finally, something worse than jumpsuits.

Homemade jumpsuits. That make you look like you're smuggling your own popcorn into the movie theater. Awesome.



With that being said, I feel like I'm finally ready to face Friday. I'm taking my daughter bike shopping this afternoon. Steeling myself for excessive amounts of pink and licensed characters. Wish me luck.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jae! This was just the jump start that my sister and I needed to face organizing my home office. As we shred all my old bills and life insurance contracts, we will think of you and wish that some of these etsy creations could fit in my shredder. As it is, my shredder can barely shred paper.

Jae said...

Hahaha Paige... can you start with the duct tape shoes?

Jenna said...

Ok, wow. $3000 duct tape "shoes" and a garbage brooch? That actually makes me angry.

Unknown said...

Have you ever checked out Regretsy? There's AT LEAST a full afternoon of WTF there LOL

Meleah said...

Not only are there $3000 duct tape shoes, but the stupid compost/garbage brooch is $50!? Do people actually buy this stuff, because if so, I need to make me some stuff to sell. My 3 year old nephew could help out with that!

Jae said...

I honestly think sometimes people just want to see if they can actually get someone to pay that. It's "art."

Deveny said...

Hold on, hold on - it's almost $3K to GIVE her YOUR old shoes and then she duct tapes the crap out of them. I can't even.....

Have you seen this site? http://www.regretsy.com/

Unknown said...

Never stop making puns.

Jae said...

SOmetimes me and my brothers have pun contests, where we're like "tree dating puns go!" and it's like "time to spruce thing up!" "Don't be a birch!" "He was really pining for her."

In other news, we are the weirdest family ever.

Natausha said...

They can not be serious about those magic shoes...

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.