10 Things I Learned From Losing 20 Pounds

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Okay, so as promised, here's my little spiel about losing weight last year. Bear with me, these thoughts have been floating around in my head all week so they might be a little disorganized. Therefore, I think a list is best to get organized and hopefully offer a few average-girl tips from what I've learned.

Last February was BANANAS. Between my kids' birthdays, our Disneyland trip, family coming to visit, and a baptism, I got a little lax on my eating habits. And by that, I mean I ate like two teenage boys instead of one out of pure convenience sake. And I didn't really think much of it, because sometimes you just eat a lot, right?

But when I had an OB/GYN appointment in March, I was totally shocked when I hopped on the scale and realized that I had seriously put on more than just a few pounds. And then, I saw a few pictures of myself from February and wasn't super happy with what I saw. The thing about being generally good at dressing yourself is the fact that you're really good at wearing stuff that flatters, so it kind of sneaked up on me.

But that's the thing, right? I wasn't super overweight and I've always been good about working out, but honestly, I simply didn't like where I was headed. That's the real reason I decided to start poking around the world of nutrition and fitness. Because I wanted to do better and I knew I could, simple as that.

So, here's some of the coolest/most important/most helpful stuff I learned along the way. I'm not a fitness guru: There are enough of those on Instagram. But I do think as a working mom of two with a mild interest in fitness, I have a unique perspective on this.

So, let's go and fitness motivation and such!

1. Being Fit is Empowering to Me.

When I started looking for a way to get back into shape, I focused specifically on methods that would build muscle. Look: I've been skinny. I have, genetically, a great metabolism, hence the 29 years of eating like all of my brothers combined. But I was over it and wanted to add muscle because you know what? Being strong makes me feel awesome. I like knowing I can throw weights around.

I chose to follow a plan called If it Fits Your Macros, or IIFYM. If you're interested, there's tons of resources online, but basically, it focuses on eating the right nutrition for your body and building muscle. I eat tons of protein and plenty of carbs and fat and all of that has been totally instrumental in building muscle.

The reason IIFYM appealed to me, besides the fact that it would help me build muscle, was that there's really no restriction whatsoever. No "safe" foods or "bad" foods: If it fits your daily allowance of carbs, fat, and protein, you eat it. That being said, it's a heck of a lot easier to meet your requirements when you eat good food, but it also meant that I could eat a sugar cookie without feeling like a total failure.

Sugar cookies eaten with a Diet Vanilla Coke are one of life's happiest things. I can't afford to lose that.

2. The Right Diet Plan Shouldn't be Life-Changing

I won't sit here and tell you I changed my life over three months. But I don't really think a wellness plan should be life-changing, really. Instead, I chose a method that was pretty close to the way I naturally eat. I like food. I didn't want to restrict anything. So tracking macros or nutrients was a way for me to continue eating almost as usual without overhauling my entire life and eventually slipping back into old ways.

Changing your life is super admirable, but not if it's completely unrealistic.

3. Protein is my Friend

I eat my weight in protein grams each day. That's a lot of protein. But it's definitely what made the difference for me. I'm a carb girl through and through, so I did have to learn to add protein to all of my meals. I prefer to get most of my protein from natural sources, but I do end up supplementing once a day. I love this brand of protein powder: I use it in shakes, stir it into Greek yogurt, and even use it in pancake batter. Sneaky!

4. I Hate Cardio, So I Stopped Doing It 

I've never been a fan of cardio, another reason why IIFYM was ideal for me. Because it works best with weightlifting, I was able to almost completely transition to weight-centric workouts with only one or two sessions of cardio each week. A spin class here and the elliptical there, but nothing too crazy.

Instead, I focus heavily on weights for 25 minutes a day. That's it. I focus on one area of the body each day so I also give my arms, legs, abs, and chest plenty of time to rest in between workouts, and I do one Pilates session a week for overall toning. FitnessBlender.com is my faaaaaavorite site for weight workouts and the occasional HIIT. I just choose a challenging workout and go for it. Seriously, it's 25 minutes. I can push through just about anything for that amount of time.

5. There are Opportunities to Move Outside of the Gym

I don't have a gym membership. I've had one like, once in my life and I never used it. I did everything at home with three sets of dumbbells, a kettlebell, and a yoga mat. But more than my 25 minute workouts was just finding opportunities to move throughout the day, whether it was playing soccer with my kids or whatever. One of my younger brothers works out with gymnastics rings, so the last time I was home we brought them to the park and tried ridiculous tricks. I totally woke up sore the next time, so it counts.

6. My Goal Weight Wasn't My Ideal Weight

Ask my friends: I was obsessed with the idea of weighing 125 lbs for three months. I thought if I reached that, I'd be happy. And I did reach that goal weight, but honestly, it was a pain in the butt to maintain. My body seems to be its happiest at around 128, so I had to learn that this goal I'd set for myself wasn't some magical elixir to happiness and fitness. And, since I've been able to maintain for so long, I'd rather maintain a few pounds heavier than struggle at a lighter weight. It's a number on a scale, people.

Also, let's remember that the scale isn't the only measurement of success here. I don't know about you, but my weight fluctuates based on EVERYTHING, from sleep to stress to Papa John's pizza. Check the way your clothes fit, your energy levels, and before/after pictures (which I strongly recommend with IIFYM – the scale always goes up when I lift heavier, even though I look better).

7. Do the Work and Don't Feel Guilty

Another reason I wanted to build muscle: It torches calories. When I have muscle on my body, eat well, and exercise, I don't feel guilty when I pig out on the weekends or go out for burgers with my friends. Not only do I not feel guilty, but it doesn't affect the way I look. A handful of Cheetos won't make you fat. A handful of Cheetos coupled with a lack of exercise and processed food on the daily will. I, for one, hate feeling guilty. Lay the right groundwork and a Saturday night feast doesn't totally derail your progress.

8. Meal Planning Makes it Easy

I suck at meal planning. I definitely don't make my meals in advance. I do, however, punch my day's worth of meals into MyFitnessPal each morning for two reasons: First, to make sure my macros are on track so I can adjust them if necessary and second, I'm less likely to dive face-first into a pint of ice cream if my phone already says I'm supposed to snack on fruit.

Also, I found that when food isn't easy, I default to easy processed stuff. It costs more, but buying pre-chopped fruits and vegetables, buying a cooked rotisserie chicken, or using vegetable steamer bags makes healthy food just as easy as eating crap.

I also find that I eat a lot of the same food. I don't mind, it makes it easier for me. I know exactly how much protein is in a Costco turkey burger or their lime-cilantro shrimp (staples of my diet) so it's a no-brainer.

9. Fitness is Not Reserved for Fit People

My diet sucked in the past, but I've always been pretty good about exercising. Still, swapping out cardio for weightlifting was intimidating at first. Seriously, Instagram is packed with jacked women who dedicate their lives to this. I have 25 minutes tops.

But the thing is that fitness isn't only for fit people, even if it seems like everyone at the gym is Arnold quality. I freakin' love this commercial for This Girl Can. I don't care if you jiggle, if you can't fit into your skinny jeans or you feel like a complete idiot in your group workout class, find something you love and move your butt.

A couple of weeks ago I heard about a type of yoga and I decided to try it in my living room. Little did I know, it was yoga mixed with like, African dance and extreme pelvic thrusting. I laughed my face off, did a 30-minute workout, and shelved it forever. I felt like a complete idiot but guess what? I still got a workout in.

10. As Much as it Sucks, Nutrition Really, Really Matters

I was deeeefinitely in the "work out to eat" camp before. I used to proudly proclaim that I did 60 minutes of cardio so I could eat bread. But yeah, nutrition matters. These days, I down about 1,700 calories made up of about 40 percent protein, 30 percent fat, and 30 percent carbs. Once I cleaned up my nutrition, my workouts were so so so very much more effective. It was like my body was saying "Oh, that's what you were trying to do?"


Really, 20 pounds wasn't that much in the grand scheme of things. I'm a couple sizes smaller and a little lighter, but more importantly, I'm way more conscious about what I do to my body. I loved learning about nutrition and reading up on various theories and seeing hard work turn into something real.

Here's a before and after comparison. Like I said, 20 pounds didn't make or break me. I'm not suddenly wildly happy or a fitness guru, or making goals to run triathlons. I'm just really glad this dress fits better.




Does that make me shallow? 

11 comments:

Jennifer Wells said...

You do look slimmer in the most current photo, however I NEVER would have guessed that you lost 20 pounds.

My biggest obstacle--and this is probably true for many people--is being organized, i.e. actually taking the time to sit down and PLAN your meals for the week plus scheduling a time for working out.

I had a similar yoga experience to yours. I was trying to pull off some crazy pose, slipped and fell on the floor, then asked myself, "What am I doing?" and gave it up forever. Yoga that is, not that particular move.

Morgan Hagey said...

You're hot. These tips are great.

Katie said...

This was super motivating! I agree that a number shouldn't matter if you are eating healthy and exercising daily. And I definitely agree with you on focusing on muscle! A few years ago I got really into working out and I lost 40 lbs and down to a svelte 120 lbs. However, I was thin and soft. It doesn't matter how thin you are if you're jiggly.

My brother is super into healthy eating and fitness, works at GNC, and body builds. He has repeatedly told me 2 things. 1-the only way to change your shape is to lift weights. 2- never compare yourself to other women, focus on being the best you! He even told me I could look more curvy and womanly and therefore more attractive than what you see in magazines, if I would quit focusing on being skinny and instead, focus on being healthy and gaining muscle.

Katie said...

I forgot to add that 2 kids later, I'm no longer 120 lbs but have come to accept that it's probably an unattainable goal. Sorta like your 125 that is hard to maintain.

Unknown said...

You look great, thanks so much for such a relatable post. I know if have to get off my tushy and start moving more and eating better. The BBC has a programme about diets and genes and apparently I am an Emotional Eater which is mortifying and makes me want chocolate. ahem.

Nathaly Blalock said...

1. You look amazing.
2. Papa John's is the best pizza I don't care what anyone says.
3. We sounds like fitness/diet twinsies with the cardio hating and food loving, as well as the desire to allocate no more than half an hour to exercise. But I'm overwhelmed by the though of tracking macros. Are there any websites that helped you get meal planning ideas when you were starting out? I think getting enough protein is going to be hard! Great post!

Janelle said...

Congrats Jae, that's so terrific! You look gorgeous.

Jae said...

Nora, I was even wearing Spanx in the first pic and the second is au naturel lol!! That's one thing I really appreciate not having to wear anymore.

Nat, I'm not a huge planner of meals. I've just learned to stock my fridge with good stuff and I don't have to do a lot of planning. Protein was harder to get at first, but now I know that if I get some at every meal and snack, I hit my goals. Honestly, after the three months I stopped tracking in MyFitnessPal because I could do it on my own. So it seems a bit overwhelming at first and then it just becomes second nature. But my favorite resource was actually checking out #iifymgirls on IG. Lots of people hashtag their meals and workouts, so I got tons of ideas from that. Also, there's a site where you can plug in your macro goals for the day and it'll suggest meal ideas: https://www.eatthismuch.com/

I'm also REALLY good at figuring out the best things at fast food places. It's a talent, really.

Katie, we both have super fit brothers lol. But yeah, muscle makes me very happy and makes my clothes look soooo much better, even if the number on the scale isn't like, supermodel low.

PS Morgs NO YOU'RE HOT.

Beth said...

Great! Thanks for the tips, I will check it out.

You look amazing

Unknown said...

You are smokin hot! I noticed in a picture earlier last year (i almost said this year...WTF 2015?!!) and thought, "She looks really good!"

Muscles are good. I weigh 10 lbs more than I usually weigh but wear the same size and the clothes fit better. Plus, booties. It's the year of the booty.

Jae said...

I'll raise you one and say booties, but also booties in workout pants. You know what I'm talkin' bout.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.