What to Wear: When You Don't Feel Like Getting Dressed

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I was at the passport office yesterday and a woman wheeled her stroller in. Her 2-year-old was sick. Like, kind of looked like a zombie baby, red eyes, goopy face sick. And she proceeded to park his stroller beside my chair, where he coughed on me for 20 minutes.

I woke up sick this morning.

And, since I'm not a hypocrite, here's a repost of what I'm wearing today. Hint: It has an elastic waist.

***************************************************

There's probably a solid three feet of snow on my lawn, but you know what? I don't care because I don't have a single place to go today and that is glorious. I actually purposely plan all of my week's stuff on one or two days. Tuesdays and Thursdays are always my busiest days, but that means I can relax a bit on the other days. And, since the roads are a mess, I'm absolutely taking advantage of that fact. I plan on hiding in my house, getting some work done and reading while my son naps.

What I'm saying in the most roundabout, least fashion bloggy way is that I'm not getting dressed today.

And guess what? Anyone who posts pictures of their outfits is probably showing off what they wear about an eighth of the time. Because mark my words, the rest of the time, they're in their sweats, hiding from their well-meaning neighbors like EVERYONE ELSE.

SO I'm not lying when I tell you that while I have a very extensive closet of cute clothes, I also have a HUGE collection of lounge clothes too. And I'm wearing some right now. And that's OK. Although I will say that even if I'm hanging out in the house all day, I'll wear something more than PJs to get through it. Because even if no one else is going to see me, if I stay in PJs all day, I'll undoubtedly start feeling gross and unproductive and unshowered all day. Simply changing into cute, well-fitting lounge stuff means I'm still totally comfortable, but I don't end up wallowing in self pity, Downton Abbey and poor food choices all day.

Here are some super cute options for getting dressed when there's no point in actually getting dressed.

Lounge1



Volcom pocket tee / Victoria's Secret vintage top / Knit shirt / Black tank top, $24 / Activewear pants / American Eagle Outfitters stripe pants / Accessorize button shoes / Pastry snakeskin shoes, $47 / Minnetonka bow shoes / Gap Logo Lounge Pants / Aero 87 Lace Full-Zip Yoga Hoodie
Fit is EVERYTHING. There's a huge difference between a cute pair of lounge pants and wearing your hubby's sweats. If your lounge clothes make you look like you and your hubby have roughly the same body shape, it's a problem. Hoodies and yoga pants are totally fine. When they fit. Also, a cute pair of slippers or house-approved shoes helps too. I have mukluks that I love, but I'll also wear moccasins and sneakers around. Just don't tell my Canadian parents, who think it's appalling when I wear shoes in my house.

And now, what not to wear.

Lounge Don'ts!



Men's sweatpants, actual pajamas, that gross souvenir T-shirt that you wear when dyeing your hair and ONESIES. Do I really need to even say this? If you slept in it the night before, change out of it. UNLESS you're sick or just had a baby because those times don't count.

For the record, I'm hanging out in Calvin Klein yoga leggings and a Roots Canada half-zip sweater today. And that's pretty much how I'll stay all day.

And I'm thinking about eating the loaf of bread I bought my neighbor.

Also, I'm a horrible, awkward shell of a human being.

Alright, sock it to me. Are you a "get dolled up every day" type? Or are you more of a "Put on pants when I have to go to Wal-Mart" kinda gal?

20 comments:

Sara said...

yeah, your "not getting dressed" clothes look nicer than my "going to walmart" clothes.

On a side note- I think it's awesome that your neighbor was being chivalrous and doing that for you. This may be because I'm from the south, but I think it's perfectly acceptable that you just sat there. He was being a gentleman! Awkward, maybe... but oh well!

Jae said...

Sara, I thought it was sweet... I just have a really, really hard time accepting help. But Utahns are SO helpy! I've lived here for 10 years and it always surprises me a little when I go out after a snowstorm and it's like a neighborhood block party with everyone helping everyone else. One day I'll get used to it!!

Strollerblader said...

Just Pay it Forward and be done.

Unknown said...

I would probably make you keel right over and die if you saw my every-day "clothes". I wear footie pajamas pretty much every day. True story. I have three pair (Hubby bought me all three because he loves me). One has sock monkeys on the feet, one has leopards, and the third has foxes. See? I can be totally foxy. (<-- you're permitted to groan at that to give you a break from heaving your guts up). I have never yet worn them out of the house, though, and I'm pretty sure the boy scouts love taking turns to come by and knock on the door for various reasons and try not to laugh at what I'm wearing. I tell them they can just laugh and get it over with. I own it :P
I have also had a migraine AND various ear / sinus /throat infections nonstop since Christmas. And I have fibromyalgia. Anything that keeps me warm and covered without pointing out the weight gain from all the gazillion attempts at treatments to manage my pain and doesn't rub on my skin which feels boiled some days is a WIN in my head.
Someday I totally intend to be healthy and in reasonable shape again (bahahahahahaha!!!!!) and if..er..."when" that happens I'm totally going to beg you to go shopping with me and help me find clothes I love. I've been sorting old photos all week and dang, I used to have style! (And a 23" waist. *sigh*)

MJ said...

Thanks for this post. I'm also hating the snow, can't wait for Spring! I love that you said Utahns are "So helpy". I've lived here my whole life and I'm still awkward about accepting the help. That doesn't stop me from really enjoying when our 12 year old neighbor comes over to shovel. I figure it's good for him to do some service. :)
I'm a get dressed or strive for cute lounge wear kind of gal. Love your suggestions. Once I was over at my sister-in-laws house. She was in early pregnancy and fairly sick, so I commented that I'd be in my pajamas all day too. She looked at me horrified and said, "oh, these aren't my pajamas!" Ummm, if those weren't her pajamas, I'd hate to see what her pajamas look like. ;)

juliegrant24 said...

I refuse to leave the house without a shower, so I always look pretty normal. However there have been times where I need something late at night and I run out in my PJ's. I know, it's bad...

Unknown said...

Best advice I ever got when my first child was born: get up, take a shower, and get dressed every single day. After all, my husband didn't suddenly decide to stay at home and quit seeing people dressed for the public. It has made a difference in how I am perceived by others and the standard to which I hold myself.

Lauren said...

In my brain I am dressed in cute clothes all the time but in real life I wear jeans and t-shirts every day. When my kids are bigger and I have a job outside the house again maybe this will change. My current wardrobe goals are to make sure my jeans and t-shirts are nice and to wear a skirt at least a couple times a month for practice :)

Unknown said...

I'm a get up, shower, dress, hair, makeup every single day kind of girl. Clothes, makeup and hair are more casual on the weekends or if I'm painting or something, but I always start the day ready for anything.

Dodie said...

Your story was thigh-slappingly hilarious!!! Could not stop laughing. I love overly helpful neighbors and the awkward moments that follow!

Jennifer Wells said...

I "doll" up to some degree, but usually halfway through the day! I drop my son off at school fully dressed, but my hair is in a ponytail and I don't usually have makeup on.

Maybe as the sun comes up earlier this will change....

Janelle, I'm sure nobody will judge you for being comfortable when you have a medical condition.

Jae said...

Sometimes I wonder if the girls at preschool think I have an evil, shlubby twin. I drop my son off in workout clothes and zero makeup and then when I pick him up, I'm magically transformed! Yes... it's the magic of a shower!

Stephanie @ The Cozy Old Farmhouse said...

You know what struck me funny about this story? Instead of waiting awkwardly for your neighbor to plow the drive and then driving all of two blocks to the gym, you could have shoveled the driveway yourself and got your workout in at the same time. :D

I always enjoy reading your posts, you make me laugh!

Jae said...

For real. But I didn't want to get cooooooooold. And I did want to gossip with my workout buddies. It's a tradeoff. lol.

Unknown said...

oh the feelings

why are super nice people uncomfortable.
something is wrong with this world.
I have a friend who ALWAYS offers to shovel my drive way and it makes me so angry.
I don't need your help okay, im a strong independent woman and I dont want to have to owe you a single thing.

I'm awful.

ya preach the truth
and I appreciate.

Unknown said...

I didn't realise that this was a repost and became really confused because I wondered how it was 2013 but I know what happens in 2014 and some of 2015.

Anyway, I can't really understand people wearing last night's bedclothes the next day. Except Christmas morning. But I can't judge anyone because I refuse to leave the house without make up and my hair done and that's pathetic. I will judge anyway though. If they are still in last night's PJs, they haven't yet showered. Ew.

Nora Bradshaw said...

Hope you feel better soon, Jae.

I don't feel sick, but I do have a horrible fever blister. I went back to school in 2013, and I graduate in a year. Classes are getting tougher, and I am STRESSING OUT as my semester gets closer to its end. There is nothing in the world that makes me feel more presentable right now! Not clothing, not makeup.

Also, a comment that you made awhile ago made me feel a lot better about my choice. You said, "I want my kids to know that work is important."

That's so refreshing. I know a lot of people who are home school moms and one woman who stepped away from an accomplished career as a photographer to spend more time with her family.

I'm glad that their choices have made them happy, but it does make me feel a little bit guilty. I have to admit, there's this little voice saying, "Oh, aren't your kids worth it?"

My husband has a blue-collar job, and that's fine. But I want my children to feel comfortable choosing other types of professions, and so I want to set an example. Hey, if they want to be electricians or carpenters, that's great, if they're happy. But I want to know that they are CHOOSING, rather than avoiding something because they feel like it's out of reach.

Unknown said...

Nora, good on you for what you're doing. All the women in my family are hard working, exceptionally strong and brave and it makes for resilient, smart, appreciative kids - best wishes for the rest of your studies.

Allison Hill said...

I'm sick. I have a double ear infection and a sinus infection and I want to beat my face off with a hammer. I've spent the last two days in bed re watching Downton Abbey. And wearing yoga pants. That's not true, the first day I wore no pants. I WAS REALLY SICK.

Jae said...

Nora, you're the boss. My mom went back to college when I was 14 or so and it was a pretty big deal and I think it made a huge impact on me and my siblings. She's actually a career counselor now and the biggest message to us as teens wasn't "You have to go to university," it was "Choose the path that gives you the most options." So that's ingrained in me. I don't care what my kids do for a living, but I always want them to have the training, education, experience etc so they always have choices, you know?

I know lots of moms who are happy with their decisions to stay at home, but I also see lots who just feel like it was their only option. So I give you major kudos for giving yourself choices. Kids are awesome. I love my kids. But I also super love my career and I love not having to choose one or the other.

Aaaaand this was a huge tangent.But you're awesome.

And Allison. I'm so sorry. But I laughed out loud.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.