Why Moms Dress Like Moms and a Lesson from 11th Grade

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I know: Deep thoughts for a Wednesday. 

So I stumbled across the following infographic the other day:


So, basically, when 2,000 women were polled about their style after having kids, the results were that:
-40 percent said their average heel height dropped two inches. 
-18 percent chopped their hair into a bob
-7 percent stopped coloring hair altogether 
And over 50 percent said that as moms, they no longer have time for fashion and 27 percent said they missed their old clothes.

Now, I've gotten my fair share of hate mail over the years and one of the most common questions I get in angry written tirades is "What's SO BAD about dressing like a mom!?" 

To that, I say "nothing." You're a grown woman. You can dress however you want. 

All I can tell you is my motivations for specifically veering away from that specific label.

In 11th grade history, I had an awesome, feminist teacher. Her name was Ms. Mazzulla. Not Mrs. Not Miss. Ms. She was very clear about this. 

Now, Ms. Mazzulla had some seriously tragic style, according to me as an 11th grader. She had hippie-long, never-dyed hair. She wore hopelessly outdated bifocals. I never saw her in anything other than a pair of Birkenstocks, which she wore with socks during long, Canadian winters. And she favored long, tie-dyed tunics. 

And yet, I consider Ms. Mazzulla to be one of my greatest style influencers. I KNOW, right?

It's because during the second week I had her history class, one of my friends asked why she was so insistent about being called "Ms." (It was after someone accidentally called her "Mrs." and she snapped at them. She had a really bad temper).

She said, "Because I don't want to be judged based on one label. When people hear Miss, they think something. When people hear Mrs, they also think something. I want to be the one to tell them what to think about me."

Uh, holy profound, Ms. Mazzulla. And while I was only 16, that has stuck with me for a long time. Of course, I graduated, got married and had my first child. And I got this new label, complete with omnipresent baby carrier and faint milk smell: Mom. 

And I actually like being a mom. It's awesome to have two little mini-me's who think I'm the sole source of food and coolness. But in my first months as a new mom, I knew one thing for sure: I didn't want to be judged by my one label. I never wanted someone to look at me and say, "Yep. She's got a couple of kids at home." "She looks really tired." "She looks like someone who doesn't take time for herself."

Because that meant my appearance was allowing people to make judgements about me that were absolutely untrue (except for the one about being tired). Ms. Mazzulla's words stuck with me, because I wanted to be the one to tell people what to think about me. 

Because I'm not only a mom, even though it's a large and interesting part of my identity. I'm also a reality TV show watching, fashion enjoying, shopaholic, good time on a Friday night, serial texting, history buff, working professional, sarcastic, celeb gossip loving, help you burn down your ex's house kinda girl. And that's hard to convey with three letters and a pair of capris, amiright? 

And so, the blog was born. But not as a way to be derogatory toward moms, but as a way to prove that it's OK to take time for yourself, take control of your label and wear high heels, even if you had a few kids. 

So when I saw that infographic, I got to thinking about Ms. Mazzulla again, who is probably out teaching Ancient Civilizations to a new crop of teenagers and saying profound, identity-changing things without realizing it.

The moral of the story is this: In a perfect world of unicorns and glitter, no one would judge anyone and we'd all get to know each other intimately and see everyone's good qualities. But yeah, we live in a world of long lines at Wal-Mart, mommy wars in the pickup line and getting judged based on appearance alone a hundred times each week.

Because of that, I'm very careful to remember what message I'm sending with my appearance. Not to pander to others and their snap judgements, but to take control of those interactions. Like Ms. Mazzulla, I think it's important that YOU tell people what to think about you. Are you saying:
  • I put myself last. 
  • I'm perpetually tired and don't care who knows it. 
  • I'm too busy to look put-together. 
  • My only identity is my children's mother. 
  • I don't want you to see me.
OR:
  • I'm totally approachable.
  • I take time for myself because I make it a priority.
  • I'm fun and totally enjoy life and the occasional flash mob. 
  • I see the value in balancing function with style. 
  • Being a mom has enhanced my natural personality.
And the thing is, if you really, truly, honestly don't care how people perceive you, then good on you. I commend you and think that's awesome. It's your prerogative as an adult woman to not care. But chances are, even the people that toss their sensible wash-n-wear bobs and tug at their oversized tees do care.

So, I guess what this all boils down to is: What are you telling people about yourself with your appearance – and is it accurate?

Getting dressed in the morning serves more of a purpose than just not being naked when you go to grocery store. It's a chance to take control of social interactions and make sure you're sending exactly the message that YOU want to send. That means you're totally in control here: If you miss your old clothes, get 'em back. If you don't have time for yourself, find a way to streamline a 5-minute routine. And, if you prefer flats over heels – then wear flats instead of heels.

So, some questions for you on this Wednesday:
What do you think about Ms. Mazzulla's life lesson?
What are some of your motivations for dressing the way that you do?
And, if you had a label, what would it be?

Geez I need a nap after all of this intellect.

14 comments:

Heidi J said...

So sorry you get angry letters! All the things you said were apparent to me after reading ANY of your blog entries - you don't belittle or dismiss motherhoood, you're just trying to get through it the best way you can and feel some joy in life (and help your kids feel some joy too). Your posts make me laugh, which gives me and others joy too. And the clothes advice is great. Viva les mamas! Viva la fashion! Or some such thing - my two semesters of French have not really adhered to my brain :)

Unknown said...

Jae - I've always thought the same thing about using Ms. instead of Miss or Mrs. Men are Mr. regardless of their marital status - why do women have to tell the world about their personal lives by their title? I either use Ms. for myself or just my name, no title.

Jae said...

I took French for 6 years and all I can say is "May I please go to the bathroom" so there you have it. Thanks for the sweet comment, Heidi! PS I totally think I'm a better mom when I've had some time to myself. Sweatpants Jae is a cranky mom indeed.

Jennifer Wells said...

Answering every question, because I take things literally.

"What do you think about Ms. Mazzulla's life lesson?"

She chooses to be responsible for her own life and her own happiness. Maybe her honesty and opinions will sometimes rub people the wrong way, but I would pick that over a passive-aggressive mommy martyr who wants pity all the time.

"What are some of your motivations for dressing the way that you do?"

I want to look reasonably attractive but functional. So, no, I won't be wearing heels most of the time. Yes, I wear makeup every day, because it is fun. And yes, I probably wouldn't dress quite the same without kids. (White shirts, I miss you!)

"And, if you had a label, what would it be?"

Weirdo.

Also, I think bobs are almost universally attractive. There's a certain haircut that new moms sometimes get that I find adorable, they look like 1930s film stars.

Jae said...

Linda, you're awesome. I don't think I've ever been able to refer to myself as a Mrs. I'm definitely a first-name person, too.

Nora, this: " I would pick that over a passive-aggressive mommy martyr who wants pity all the time." OMG YES. Drives me nuts. Being a mom is hard on everyone, it's not like you can out-mommy someone by not taking care of yourself.

Lynn said...

Oh Jae. Your post says it all and has definitely struck a chord with me, only from a slightly different angle. Buckle in for a rant. Maybe I can deflect some of the hate mail away from you.

I'm way past the "new mom" or "kids at home" phase of my life. Hello middle age! And you know what? The same phenomenon that afflicts new mom fashion sense or any level of energy to simply try to put a best or slightly polished foot forward seems to afflict A LOT of women once they hit middle age. They give up, go all "sensible shoes," (why do people so steadfastly equate comfort with drab?) forget what make up is, let their hair go to a lifeless "non style," and generally just fade into the abyss of "well, that was that for me!" What the hell? Everything in life at every step of the way, your appearance included, takes some effort, and as you said, we own the impressions we make. Whereas no one can entirely be sized up by the way they dress and groom, we can make some assumptions, and pretty accurate ones in a lot of cases: sloppiness and no effort equals "I don't really care, about myself or you." It just does. I don't want people to ever think I don't care about myself or about them and our collective roles living on this earth and in our communities together. To that end, I try to look nice, no matter what. That is good for me and for you. I'd rather see my fellow humans looking nice on any given day (barring the disasters and emergencies that befall us all), then looking like we just rolled out of bed and treating the world like it was our personal living room. To that end, I exercise regularly so that that other myth of "after 40, your figure goes" doesn't become a reality for me. Would I prefer to not have to work out? Do you even have to ask? I dress like I care, and that doesn't mean fancy or expensively. It means neat, ironed (if need be) and pulled together. I mean, what's so hard about clean jeans from the current era, a tank, a cardigan or jacket, ballet flats a little makeup and some simple jewelry? It's comfortable, it's stylish, it's appropriate for getting things done around town and it says, "I care. I care about me, my husband, my kids and all of you out there I will run into or do business with in the course of my day." How can that be a bad message to project to your fellow man? But what I see all too often (really ladies, you're giving middle age a bad rep) is saggy, shapeless jeans or capris (Lord, have mercy) and equally shapeless overblouses all accessorized with shapeless sneakers, mary-janes (shudder), clogs or crummy rubber flip flops. Yeah, you get to do and wear what you want, but man is it depressing when you loudly project you don't care onto the rest of us. It makes me wonder why you don't give a fig anymore. Sigh. I owe it to myself to do better than that and I certainly owe it to my husband and those who love me who want the best for me in all aspects of my life, including the me I put out there.

Thanks for your post. It came at precisely the time I've been shaking my head at the general disintegration of so much of the social contract among current society, this being just a part of it. I'm better now. Thanks. ;-) Oh, and hey. If you're up for more hate mail, wanna update the original capris post? 'Tis the season!

And finally (I promise), as a former high school teacher before a career switch years ago, I love that you have a fond and impactful memory of one of your former teachers. It's what every teacher lives for. :-)

Unknown said...

What do you think about Ms. Mazzulla's life lesson?

Whether you are a Ms, Mrs,Miss, Lady, Dr, Your Royal Highness, people will judge you. It doesn't mean that you have to accept anyone's judgement (not even your own!).

What are some of your motivations for dressing the way that you do?
I loyally follow this blog but I'm not a "mom". I like to dress in a stylish, put together way that is also modest. So I relate to HNTDLAM. Ultimately, we all judge people by their appearance. I don't mean that we validate or qualify someone because they look nice, and revile someone who might not look great in our eyes. It's just human nature to look at someone for clues about how they are and how we can relate to them. For me, dressing and grooming myself helps me feel like the best version of myself, and I think that doing this shows respect for other people, for me anyway.

And, if you had a label, what would it be?

Erm schizo with knockout shoes.

Lynn said...

Hey! Me again. Switching to decaf soon. :-)

How about a post on the dreaded overblouse as mentioned in line whatever of my previous post? Just as you did with the famous capris post, you can define "overblouse," and say when and when not the look can work. We all know, as with pants shorter than "regular" length, that it's all about cut, body type and proportion. If anyone can do it, you can Jae. No pressure though. It may be a topic and social change effort too big for any of us.

Hugs!
L

Jae said...

Lynn -- awesome insights. I sometimes think people misinterpret motivation for caring for your appearance. They think "Oh, look at her, she's dressing for other people," when really it's like "No, I'm dressing for entirely selfish reasons." Because I want to be in control socially and dressing what I want to portray helps facilitate that.

And UGH to the thought that comfort has to be frumpy. UGH.

Also with all this capri and overblouse talk -- we are practically BEGGING for hate mail. Just start making fun of Yoko Ono and we'll really be rolling in it.

Avril, I'm glad you're around, you're one of my faves! But you're right -- while it's definitely not OK to judge based on appearance alone, it's human nature and in some cases, it's done as a necessity -- not to be mean or insensitive. And I love knockout shoes ;)

Heidi J said...

Hi, me again too. LOVE Lynn's comments, esp "I mean, what's so hard about clean jeans from the current era, a tank, a cardigan or jacket, ballet flats a little makeup and some simple jewelry?" This will be my new mantra when feeling too tired to get dressed.

Jennifer Wells said...

By the way, Jae, a couple of years ago I met someone for the first time, and she said, "I couldn't believe you had two kids. I thought you looked really hip."

I credit you for this one.

Jae said...

Heidi, love it! The thing is, throwing on some old sweats and putting on jeans and an embellished top take exactly the same amount of time.

Nora, it's not like being seen as a mom is a bad thing or anything, it's just that I don't want someone to label me so quickly right out the gate, you know? And I look a bit young for my age (especially when I dress casually) so I'm hyper conscious of people thinking I'm like, a teen mom, especially when traveling with the kids by myself. lol!

Unknown said...

I accidentally found your blog. I really believe you are my sister from another mister! I have the BEST hair stylist ever. My famous line to her, "NO SOCCER MOM HAIR" if it makes me look like every other "I have honey blonde highlights, a daughter who is in ballet and plays the flute along with my 2 year old twin boys who play soccer and wear Ralph Lauren" DO NOT DO IT! I always am changing up my style from day to day... funky, not matching red orange flats with grey skinny pants and a navy shirt. Be you! Stop with the black boring t-shirts and flip flops STOOOOP IT!
Signed, "just because I'm 40 and a mom doesn't mean my life is over I'm still hotness"
MS. HUGHES

Jae said...

Angela: Let's be BFFs immediately.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.