What I Wore: Double Duty

Monday, April 28, 2014

I think one of the biggest challenges in getting dressed when you have a bunch of kids is the fact that you do so much in one day – and your usual gear isn't always appropriate for all of it.

Take Friday, for example (and no, this isn't a "woe is me I do so much" tale). In one day, I had a video call for work, my usual workout, that awful preschool field trip, running errands through the afternoon and then date night with my husband (finally saw Divergent). And all of those things required different types of clothes. If I'm not careful, I find myself changing three times a day or just saying "Screw it" and wearing my workout clothes to the grocery store.

To remedy my out-of-control laundry, I try getting dressed in a versatile base layer and then change it up through the day according to whatever I'm doing. This basic tee and jeans (worn with a scarf) was perfect for a casual business call, then dressed down with my fave hoodie for preschool happy times and dressed up for date night. Totally easy, right?

 Tee: Abound - I practically buy these in bulk but I'm pretty sure they're only at Nordstrom Rack. I also like buying v-necks at like, Ross and TJ Maxx because they're uber cheap and I can toss 'em when they get gross. White tees are not forever.
Hoodie: Fox Blockout (I am struggling to find it in this color on line. Here it is in black but mine is called "orange flame" or some such?) 
Jeans: Maurices (similar) (similar) (plus)
Boots: Call it Spring Milada (my preeeecious) (very similar) (love these)



Add a blazer, cute shoes and some jewelry and it's hello to Sour Punch Straws and popcorn all night long. 
Jeans, tee: Same as above.
Blazer: H&M (similar) (omg love) (love this price) (plus)
Shoes: Charlotte Russe (similar) (love these peep toes too)
Bracelet: Buckle (similar)
Ring: c/o Inspired Silver 

Doable, right? Just goes to show that buying up solid basics will probably serve you better than going crazy with a million trendy pieces, especially when it comes to laundry. And after spending a couple hours on laundry on Saturday, I'm ready to swear off getting dressed altogether, so this is a step up.

On today's docket: Work, driving to preschool, workout, library, Bath and Body Works because I'm out of Wallflowers and I might actually die if my house doesn't smell like fresh lilacs and vanilla at all times.

Hello, jeans.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I WISH I looked like you in a white T and jeans! Great date night outfit!

Jennifer Wells said...

I agree, I love your date night outfit!

Also, this seems like a good strategy when traveling. I remember going on a trip once and taking a black, a-line dress with me. Jewelry, nice shoes, dressed up. Flats and a hoodie (sorry, the weather was crazy!) dressed down.

Unknown said...

Love the outfit both ways! I love white tees, but I can never seems to find ones that aren't see though. How are the ones you buy at Nordstom Rack in the see-through-ness dept? (Like how I just made up that word see-through-ness? lol)

Jae said...

Tiffany, I find them to be pretty opaque. They have some stretch, which I think helps. Like, I wouldn't wear a polka dot bra with it or anything, but they're fine with a white one. I'm wearing a gray one right now and it's completely opaque.

Nora, hoodies for life. And Avril, I heart you.

Allison Hill said...

I was just...shall we say...released from my obligation to appear at my place of employment every day. Which means I'll get to wear jeans a lot, which is exciting, but I won't have any wardrobe updating money for a while so I'll have to see what combinations I can make from my closet.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.