What I Wore: The Great Pretender

Monday, November 4, 2013





Story time!

Yesterday morning my husband and I decided that we'd be lazy and stay in bed late, watch CBS Sunday Morning like a bunch of senior citizens and eat Cocoa Puffs. Our kids were out playing in the loft (our house has a big open area upstairs right outside our bedroom) and we heard a knock on the door.

Now, once a month, teenage boys come around to the houses in our neighborhood for church donations. Usually I have a cheque ready to go, hand it over and that's that. But I was still in my pajamas. And not like, cute pajamas, but like when you wear your husbands pants and shirt without a bra pajamas.

My kids came running into our room. "Someone's at the door!"

(Let me acknowledge the fact that my kids act like it's Santa Claus himself every time someone knocks. It's like having two rabid chihuahuas freak out at the mailman.)

I told them to just be quiet and pretend we're not home. Lying is OK to teach children, right? They wandered back into the loft. As I settled back into my news story about how they make crayons or something like that, I heard a creak on the stairs. My son was going down.

The next thing you need to know about my house is that the entire front is made up of windows. It's like living in a fishbowl. If anyone so much sets foot on the main floor, anyone from outside can see very clearly. Unfortunately, if I went after my son, those looking for donations would also see me. And it never occurred to me to just put on a bra and go downstairs and take care of it.

Instead I panicked. I called my daughter into my room. Just as I was about to ask her to go get her brother, I heard Andrew yell "MOM! There are boys on the porch!"

Strike one: If Andrew could see them, they could see Andrew. They now knew we were actually home.

I hiss-yelled at him to get back upstairs. Instead, he yelled "MOM! I don't want to pretend like we're not home anymore!"

Strike two.

Thanks, Andrew.

And, just to round the strikes out to three, I still refused to go to the door. At that point, admitting defeat and going down seemed worse. So I waited, hoping that our visitors would simply believe I'm a horrible mother who left my 4-year-old son on his own at home, rather than a horrible person who pretends to not be home and tells her children to lie. I have no idea what happened to them. I'm guessing after engaging in an awkward staring match with my child they left for home to tell their families all about it.

This is up there with the story of when one of my friends dropped by and my house was a mess and there was a dead goldfish on a bowl on the coffee table.

Moral of the story: Always call before you come to my house. Like, at least 30 minutes in advance.

I promise I'll clean up the dead fish and put on a bra.

Anyway, that was my weekend. We also went to the cabin and saw a terrible movie with our kids (seriously, wait to Redbox Free Birds), but it was all trumped by being outed as a pretender by my son to a couple of 15 year old boys.

Aaaand this is what I wore on Friday. The suffragette shirt is back in action!

Tee: Infamous (here but only in XS) (cute!) (similar)
Jacket: Old Navy (similar) (plus size!)
Cargos: Almost Famous (similar)(similar) (cute too) (on my wishlist)
Boots: Payless (here) (these are awesome
Aaaand I'm not wearing any jewelry.

Do you like how my story has nothing to do with this outfit post? Because I sure do.

Also, it snowed yesterday. Like real, stick to the ground and still going snow. So my boots are getting a good workout and will be until around March 2014. Hope you guys are ready!

Now, does anyone have a good "people dropped by and I was not ready for it" stories for me?

12 comments:

MissDeeCanada said...

I just love reading your blog lol...

Denise in Canada

MissDeeCanada said...

I just love reading your blog. It makes me laugh!

Hope you visit Canada again soon :)

Denise

Jae said...

I love my Canadian readers! Shh don't tell my American ones.

Unknown said...

It's not a "We're not home" story, but....

Some Jehovah's Witnesses came to the door once when my sister and I were in high school. My sister answered the door and patiently let the people go on about their religion and hand her a bunch of pamphlets. This went on for about 15 minutes. At last, one of the people asked, "And how do you feel about joining our cause now?" To which my sister replied "Nah, we worship the devil here. It's working out pretty well, so I think we'll stick with that."

Inappropriate? Yes. Rude? Yes. Classic? .....yes.

Loving keeping up with your shenanigans on this blog, Jacqueline!

Kisses,
Victoria (Tori) in Ajax :)

Jae said...

Bahaha I love it!!

My husband thinks it's super fun to engage poor JW's in religious discussions and I'm like -- can we not get their hopes up? They're pretty ballsy for going door-to-door in Utah anyway, so I just take their magazine and send them on their way.

Of course, I also bought $40 house cleaner to make a door-to-door salesman go away, so clearly saying "no" is not my forte. I'd probably end up converted if I said anything other than "thanks, have a nice day."

Jenifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gillian said...

I answered the door to a couple of Jehovah's Witness dudes (in their fancy suits) while wearing a tank top withOUT a bra and my flannel pajama pants. Also it was 1 in the afternoon. Yeah. I bet they thought I really needed God!

MJ said...

I am NEVER visitor ready when those teenage boys come knocking at our door once a month and I swear that my husband is always in the shower as well. My kids are becoming very well versed in the "pretend we aren't home" mode of operation. I can't figure out why they keep coming.

bequi said...

Once, right after I had a baby, (like DAYS) and we were brand new to our neighborhood, our new neighbors dropped by. They were very sweet and brought us chocolate chip cookies and home made dog biscuits. And I was laying on the couch in a white tank top with no bra. WHITE WITH NO BRA. And Al I could do was try to slyly hide myself with my pillow.

The same thing happened, except I was standing up and it was my Realtor. I hugged a pillow to myself and stood by the front door and waited for them to leave.

I also have several neighbors that walk into the house the second you open the door. I was in my room with no pants and someone knocked. Then knocked again. Then knocked again. I realized they weren't leaving, so I told my daughter to go open the door while I got dressed. And it was one of the neighbors and she just started heading down the hall to my room (where the door was open and I wasn't wearing pants) and my house was a wreck. My house is usually a wreck.

bashashhazbaz said...

nice outfit! you always look so stylish!

Heidi J said...

Hahaha YES! I love your hilarious blog!!! Started reading a couple hours ago and can NOT stop. BTW my husband now tapes the fast offering check to the door cuz he knows I am never ready (ahem, dressed) for them.

Unknown said...

www0817
valentino
moncler online outlet
issey miyake perfume
skechers shoes
uggs outlet
moncler jackets
nike outlet store
adidas nmd runner
ray ban sunglasses
canada goose outlet

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.