5 Makeup Tips for Glasses-Wearers

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hey glasses-wearers, if you didn't figure it out from the title, this one's for you. I've had a loooooong history with glasses. I got my first pair in kindergarten, thanks to a raaaaging case of amblyopia, which is more commonly known as "lazy eye." The optometrist tried to correct it with the world's hugest glasses, which didn't work. Long story short, I lost almost all vision in my right eye. Even better is the fact that my left eye is nearsighted, which means I will have to wear glasses for forever.

And sometimes, when I'm really tired, I'll still go cross-eyed. It's very attractive. I call it my "bedroom eye." 

Another fun side effect is that I only have to buy contacts for one eye, which saves money and time. Although my husband makes fun of me mercilessly every time I only fill one side of the contacts case.

So when I'm not wearing my contact, my glasses are glued to my face. Usually first thing in the morning when I'm too tired and uncoordinated to poke a small lens into my eye. I just got new glasses a month or two ago -- you can see them here. I love 'em.

And while I love that glasses make it, you know, legal for me to drive, I don't love how they can sometimes magnify eye probs like puffiness and darkness. SO when I know I'm going to wearing my glasses out and about, I take special care with my eye makeup so it's all kosher and my glasses look more like an accessory and less like "It was the weekend and my eyes were tired and I was too lazy to put in a singular contact."

1. Brighten Up!

Darkness gets magnified by glasses, so make sure you conceal and brighten any dark spots. I always use a concealer that has a yellow or pink hue to counteract the blue and gray tones under the eye. But don't forget to brighten the upper lids too -- I feel like people often forget that when you're tired, your WHOLE eye area looks tired. After concealing, I dot a little shimmer (in pink or white) into the tear duct and then on the brow bone area.


2.Tame Your Brows

Fun fact: When I wear sunglasses and raise my eyebrows, I look JUST like my dad. Who my son thinks looks JUST like Tony Stark so basically I look like Robert Downey Jr.

ANYWAY, brows can look unkempt against the graphic shape of glasses, so make sure they're tamed. I wax mine and then cut 'em down because they are CRAZY. After that, I use a little hair pomade to put them into place and that's it. If you have sparse eyebrows -- which totally happened to me over the summer after a bad waxing incident -- fill 'em in with an eyebrow pencil first.

Also, I feel like a post on brow shaping may be in order. Yes?


3. Get Matchy

No, don't match your eyeliner color to your frames, but DO match the thicknesses. It's the easiest way to create a proportional eye and make the whole process foolproof. If you have thin frames, you need thinner eyeliner to avoid looking like you're wearing a crapload of makeup. Thicker frames? Go for thicker eyeliner so your eyes don't get lost. My frames are a thick tortoiseshell so I like doing like, a plum liquid eyeliner. I used to wear thinner frames, though, and then I could get away with minimal liner and mascara.


4. Go Waterproof

Depending on how long your lashes are, they can leave annoying smudges on your glasses. And then you get all ragey. I have experience. Also, I find that I touch my eyes more when I wear glasses anyway, since I can take them off and rub my eyes -- not OK with contact(s). So I wear waterproof mascara when I'm also wearing glasses. No smudges. Also, no smudges when I sob watching YouTube videos of dogs meeting with their owners after they've been in Iraq. SO EMOTIONAL.


5. Wear Color

When in doubt, a bold lip balances out your face when you're wearing glasses.Whether you like a red or you'd rather go for some coral or pink, going for some color can help define your lips and make up for a lack of definition in the eye area. I prefer a gloss because lipstick gives me anxiety when it wears away. A stain works really well too!




So, where are my glasses-wearing girls? When I was a kid I was convinced that wearing glasses made me smarter, which explains why I peaked at like age 11 after I stopped wearing them regularly.

And yes, I still wear them when I want to look smart.

12 comments:

Jennifer Wells said...

This is tying in to your post last week, "How to Pull Off the Sexy Librarian Look," right?

I have a square head. A monstrously square head. You know how women flip out about trying on swimsuits? That's how I feel about trying on glasses. It seems that going with the opposite shape of your face is a good idea? I think? I can only wear oval or round frames.

Jae said...

You are correct! I have a heart-shaped face and I go with square framed eyeglasses and aviator sunglasses to balance things out. Oh, Nora, you so smart (it must be the glasses).

bashashhazbaz said...

as a guy who wears glasses, i appreciate it when gals have to wear them, too. great post.

Wendy said...

You are absolutely adorable with glasses. And without. :) I'd love to see a post on eyebrow taming. (I'm finding I use my pencil to hide the greys more and more these days!)

db artsy said...

Thanks for the tips! I just got a new pair that are still thick but bigger so my dark circles and wrinkles are more noticeable. Ha!

Now off to invest on a good concealer. :)

Jennifer Wells said...

Oo, yes, eyebrow post, please.

Penny said...

Do you find it affects what earrings/ jewellery you wear? Sometimes I feel quite over accessoried if I wear earrings and a necklace....my frames are quite thick...help?

Jae said...

Penny, absolutely. I tend to stick with smaller jewelry when I'm wearing glasses, especially if it's around my face. I usually nix the earrings and go with a thinner chain necklace. Or I load up on jewelry elsewhere, like big cuff bracelets and a watch instead.

Unknown said...

Question that is totally off topic. I just purchased a pair of Frye boots (online) and they are snug. Wil they stretch out or should I order the next size up? Thanks!!

Jae said...

Cindy, it depends on how snug. I bought true to size and mine were a little tight at first, but now they've stretched -- maybe about a half size? I've had mine for three years now and they fit perfectly. But if they're like, totally cutting off circulation then you should probably go a size up.

Jae said...

Also, most stretch occurred in in the shaft, not the foot. If it's tight in the foot, I'd say size up.

Unknown said...

As science is getting more and more modern,its innovations are getting improvised. sleepSEE is such an example of modern science which is a nonsurgical vision correction system and uses the science of Ortho k to correct you vision.You can have a clear and safe vision without surgery,lasik or glasses. Alternative vision correction

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.