What I Wore: Party Pooper

Monday, March 4, 2013

OK, so I didn't make it around to a post on Friday. I shall apologize by performing a massive pic dump today so you know what I was up to around here. My daughter turned 7 last week, as my Facebook friendsies know, and remember when I said I was prone to indulgence? Yeah, I pretty much kill myself over birthday parties. I figure with only two kids, I might as well. Addie's birthday lasted like, four days and I'm pretty much dead. Seriously, I'm posting from beyond the grave. I'm just a really dedicated blogger like that.

First, we kicked it off with a trip to the aquarium. And I wore this:


 Top: Downeast Basics
Tank: Charlotte Russ (I've literally had this since my first year of marriage)
Skinnies: Ardene (Canada)
Boots: Breckelle's
Jacket: Steve Madden
Earrings, ring: F21
Watch: XOXO

 I wear my hair like this five out of seven days and I don't caaaaaare.

I'm an "outings mom," which means I'm only good at going places with my kids. At our own house I have no idea what to do with them. My son will ask me to play cars and I start acting like I don't remember childhood. BUT! At the aquarium, there was a petting pool and there was a shark who loved to be petted so much that she would literally jump out of the water. At least, I think it's because she wanted to be petted. It might have been bloodlust. Whatever, it was adorable slash horrifying.

The next day was her actual birthday. She had asked for an American Girl and I kept playing like they were too expensive (which they actually are) and that I didn't have time to order one, even though it was safely stowed in my guest room closet for weeks. PS buying one literally made me want to vomit a little. It's an exorbitant amount for a doll.

But then, when she opened it I got this reaction: 


And it was worth every penny. She is SO my child.

Also, that is me yelling at my daughter to pen the red one first and then calling her a dork. Mom of the Yeeear! 

My life the past four days has been nothing but finding accessories for that doll. We are not the proud owners of a tiny wrought-iron bed, a small set of mittens and a little beret and matching coat along with a plethora of clothes. Siiiiiiiiiiigh.

The day after, it was party time. I don't know why I kill myself over kid's parties. I don't even like them. But alas, I have major mom guilt the rest of the year and this is how I make up for the fact that I don't know how to play with my children.

My house was awash in pink and purple.

And nail polish.

And giant ponies. If you guessed that we had a pony party, you're very good at stating the obvious. Bravo! 

Anyway, we had seven kids and set up a station at each pony for an activity, like dress up, nail painting, art and a magic show, put on by my daughter who is obsessed with weird things like magic, dinosaurs and zombies. Also, American Ninja Warrior. JUST LIKE NORMAL THINGS PLEASE.

We also had a family party yesterday, with my husband's side and my momma, who flew down for the festivities. Addie has a cousin with a birthday the day before hers and it's magical because there's someone to share the cake with. Hallelujah and thank you for large fams. 


SO yeah. That was my last four days. I am super tired now. Luckily, my internal clock woke me at 5:30 this morning. Thanks, internal clock. You're a real freakin' gem. 

Oh, also, a housekeeping note. I've been getting questions via email in the last week and thought I'd do another "Ask Jae" post on Wednesday. If you have any fashion-y, style, hair or makeup q's that have been burning deep inside your heart, submit them via email (see the sidebar) or Facebook (see the link at the start of this post). I'll get to them on Wednesday and it will be fantastic. 

11 comments:

Lindsay said...

I LOVED your daughter's reaction to her American Girl doll! That was priceless! It's those moments that I always love to get on video. :)

Jae said...

I was filming it and thinking "I CAN'T believe I'm getting this on tape!" lol!

Jennifer Wells said...

Addie's reaction made me cry a little bit, too. My son is also seven, maybe that's why.

I don't really understand kids who are older than my own children. Only kids their age and younger.

Also, you know what's worse than kids' parties? Christmas programs. I want to see my child, and that's it. God bless the teachers who worked so hard to make this possible, but...yeah....

Sorry.

Emily said...

Greatest reaction ever! Love it! My daughter's 7th was last week also, but we didn't get any reactions quite that enthusiastic. Hmmm...

Heather said...

hahaha! Even my husband laughed! That is awesome!

Unknown said...

Loved your daughter's reaction to her new doll. My daughter and I both cried when she got her two years ago and in all honesty, we both have fun on our once-a-year-only trips to the American Girl Store... Enjoy every minute of it. They grow up too fast.

Jae said...

Nora... also, can I add kid's dance recitals? They're like four hours and your child is on stage for two minutes.

Jennifer Wells said...

And children are normally terrible dancers, too.

Jae said...

Hahaha real talk. Instead of filling me with pride, watching my daughter's last dance recital just made me realized that we spent WAY too much on dance.

Unknown said...

Fashion fetish? Found this style guide for you! Share the tips online without the fear of being ridiculed. Join the number-based social wonder now! http://bit.ly/VOzdTH

Queen Mommy said...

I literally laughed and cried while watching your daughter open her American Girl doll. One of my twins will cry when she opens something she has really wanted too. It's so sweet. The first time was when she got Bullseye (from Toy Story) for Christmas. And, it happened again just recently, but I can't remember what the gift was... Her twin, when she got Buzz Lightyear for her birthday a few years ago, literally could not speak for a good 20 minutes. She just giggled and hugged the box (wouldn't even take him out of the box). So funny! I love kids' reactions!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.