Ask Jae!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Yay! Ask Jae posts are my fave and I haven't done one in eons. PS I use the term "eons" way too much for it to be feasible. Just a note.

Anyway, thanks to all who sent over their questions. I try to answer them personally via email, but when they stack up I start to get overwhelmed and it's easier to do them all in one shot. So let's do it. But not "it" it. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Loni asked "I have two navy skirts that I love. Both of these skirts were originally part of nautical- inspired Spring/Summer collections. I have grown tired of the nautical look. What else can I wear with a navy skirt?"

OK, I am a lover of all things nautical, but I can see how a navy skirt could get boring if that's the only way you've worn it. So I've created three looks with nary a stripe in sight. Here's how I'd style a navy pencil skirt.

Navy skirt



VILA all over print shirt, $38 / H&M top, $23 / Top, $36 / Mango knee length pencil skirt, $35 / Patent leather peep toe pumps / Shoe Republic pointed toe shoes / Multi strand gold necklace / Dorothy Perkins gold cuff bracelet / Fantasy Jewelry Box yellow earrings / Amrita Singh jewelry / Oasis scarve, $33 / Forever New waist belt, $17 / Stone slant keeper skinny


First, how about a monochromatic thing? I like monochromatic looks because nothing really has to match. It's like, they're all blue so they can get along regardless. Or, I really like gray and mustard as accent colors to make the navy pop. Finally, florals look really fresh when paired with navy instead of black, since black can be a bit harsh. Note that all of the accessories are gold, nude or white. That's because summer is coming and you want crisp lines... perfect for work. Does that help?


Wendy asked: "I'm 41, have dark circles under my eyes (always), and I'm noticing that instead of being "puffy" under the eyes (like most eye creams are made for), my skin looks to be sinking in a bit...and of course, it's thin and delicate."

Oh, Wendy, I feel your pain. I too don't get puffy eyes, I get shadowy eyes. And it suuuucks to look tired all the time. I also can tell that my skin is changing with age because it doesn't perk right up like it used to. I know you're using concealer, but are you using the right color? For shadows, you definitely want something yellow-toned. I used a yellow concealer and literally paint it on with a concealer brush. Then, use a champagne-colored eyeshadow rather than a white to dot the tear ducts to help them look brighter.



I also use apple cider vinegar (I KNOW) to help brighten up dull skin. I pour equal parts of water and unfiltered ACV in a spray bottle and then use it as a toner at night. Because of its acid content, it works like a mini peel and I've seen a huge difference in fine lines and brighter eyes in the morning. Plus, it's cheap and you get it at the grocery store. How awesome is that?

Megan asked: "I know you color your hair. I do mine darker, but it seems to fade really fast after I color it and it's so frustrating! How the heck do I keep it looking nice?"

Well, when I went from light to dark for the first time ever, I noticed that my hair color was fading wayyyy faster than when I was a true brunette. And you know what? My shampoo was the culprit. It was stripping my hair. So I do a couple of things now. First, I switched to a sulfate-free shampoo. I like the EverStrong collection from L'Oreal. Then -- and this might sound gross -- but I wash my hair way less than before. I work out almost every day, which means a daily shower and what used to be a daily hair washing. Now, I thankfully -- I almost wrote "stankfully" ahahahah -- I still shower every day, but I keep my hair in a tight bun and then use dry shampoo afterward. I really scrub my hair two or three times per week and that keeps my color looking pretty darn good.

Jamie wrote: "How old is too old to pull off the colored jean? Talking fun pastels that I see everywhere right now."

Here's the thing, Jamie. I dislike when someone doesn't try something because they're afraid they can't pull it off or they're too old. THAT'S LAME. Unless it's a butt-caressing mini-skirt, you should give it a try. However, I will give you the same advice that I gave my sister-in-law when she tried colored jeans for the first time. She's a few years older than me and we started gently with almost-neutrals for the first time, like a rusty orange instead of like, neon pink. You can then ease into it. As for pastels, I really like aqua blue and mint green, even if you're a bit older. You can pair them with nudes and it looks more mature and less like you bought them at Claires. 

This, from Marilda:  "How to dress stylish and comfortable when travelling. Think airport security hassle, taking shoes off, etc... No more sweat pants or leggings that ARE NOT PANTS!"

Photobucket
(my perf travel outfit)

I travel a lot... usually three or four times a year. With two small children. And getting through security is THE WORST. And, thank you for acknowledging that leggings are indeed, not pants. Would you hate me if I told you that I usually travel in maxi dresses? Don't think that I'm high maintenance -- just think about it. They don't have belts. They're flowy and comfortable. I can wear them with flats that slip on and off at security. They look cute at your destination. Seriously, it's my fave way to travel. And at least it doesn't have "Juicy" written on the bum.

Rachelle (who is another one of my sisters-in-law and who I shop with regularly lol) asked: "How to find jeans (skinny and regular) for the not so very tall person. What are some brands that last? Where are some good stores?"

Photobucket 
(my favorite straight skinnies)

Before I recommend brands and stores, can I expound upon the difference between a skinny straight and a skinny tapered jean? Because that's where the difference comes in. If you're tall and leggy, by all means, go for that skin-tight skinny jean that tapers at the end. I shall not be joining you. I Have long legs and a laughably short torso, which puts me at a whopping 5'4". I always ALWAYS look for a skinny straight jean, where the knee and the hen are roughly the same width. These will look better on shorter people because they elongate rather than stumpifying. If you can't tell by looking, fold the jean up at the knee. You want the hems and the knees to match up width-wise.

And honestly (and I'm not just saying this because they've sponsored my blog in the past) I love my Liverpool Abby jeans. They're straight without being tapered but aren't baggy around the angle. I love 'em. If you're looking for cheaper, Refuge jeans -- sold at Charlotte Russe -- has a solid skinny jean that doesn't taper and I've had mine since the start of this blog. Also, dark colors are your friends. I love black, dark denim and even dark colors, like red, for making the leg look longer and taller. 

One more thing: If you want to try skinnies but aren't sure about it, wear them with knee-high boots. It's universally flattering and less scary.  Or, try cuffing them and wearing them with heels rather than flats, like so: 

Photobucket

What I'm saying is that after fit and structure, the way you style your skinnies will make a ha-yuge difference in what they do for your bod.

Amy asked me to "Do a how to use make-up brushes such as a fan brush."

Your wish is my command, Amy. At least it was in the past. Check out these makeup tutorials that can help you figure out what the heck to use your brushes for:

Beauty 101: Makeup Brushes
Jae's Guide to Corrective Coloring

How to Hide a Superhonkingirnormous Zit
How to Contour Your Face with Makeup


Let me know if you're still stumped! 



And last, but not least, Jared requested -- on my fan page, natch: "
How to convince your man that shorts in the winter is not cool. I tried searching for an ehow article to no avail."

Let me point out a few things. Jared is my brother-in-law and thinks he's soooo funny. Jared also, for reasons that are unknown to me, likes wearing shorts all winter long. Like, I will see him trudging through three feet of snow in cargo shorts. I have tried and tried to convince him -- along with his wife -- that wearing shorts during the winter isn't smart. But, since it has yet to work, I suggest a) moving to Arizona or b) divorce. It's tough love to stop the madness. 


Alright, that's it for this edition of "Ask Jae." Thanks to everyone who sent along questions, except for Jared, who I know is sitting somewhere laughing and laughing at his own cleverness right now. 

8 comments:

Lauren said...

I meant to send in a question but time got away from me, which I guess just proves I'm a mom :) So here's my question super early for next time:

I plan to go back to work in a couple years after being home with kids for a loooong time and I have nothing to wear. I'm thinking about it now so I don't have to do it all at once. If you could build a casual office wardrobe from scratch, what would you wear? I need a personal shopper!

Unknown said...

I can't believe you posted Jared's question. I am laughing so hard right now. I will take your advice into consideration. Thanks!

Rachelle

Jae said...

Make sure he sees this!! lol. And remembers that I have no shame and will post just about anything!

Lauren, I can answer this more in-depth later, but for now, start looking for things that will work for business casual and while you're at home. No need to have two separate wardrobes. Like a couple of maxi skirts for casual wear or investing in embellished tops that can be worn on their own now and with a cardi or blazer later.

Anna said...

I agree- maxi skirts seem like they would be perfect for traveling! The one time I tried that, though, airport security patted (is that a word?) me down because my skirt was too long. Will not be trying that again.

lr said...

Hi Jae,

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us! My hair dresser has been telling me to not wash my hair everyday for awhile, but I was wondering how to do this in practice if you are working out daily. Do you find your hair gets gross if you don't wash it after working out? You put your hair up in a bun while showering? Do you have to put it up/ pull it back those days you don't wash? What dry shampoo do you use? I've used some with not much success. Is there a trick to them?

Thanks again. Love your blog!!

Jae said...

I pull it up in a tight bun while showering. Then, when I hop out, I do my makeup and whatever and then take out the bun. When using dry shampoo -- I've tried a ton and I like Suave the best! lol. The one with the yellow cap! -- and I lift portions of my hair and spray it right at the roots before combing it through. I can wear it down a couple days in a row this way!

The thing is that at first, it was a pain and I had to wash like, every other day. But as I've weaned my hair off of shampoo, it's gotten MUCH better. Now you'd never know the difference.

And Anna, that sucks! I've never been patted while wearing a dress lol.

Sara said...

As always, fantastic article. My husband also wears cargo shorts ALL. THE. TIME! and we live in Wyoming. He's lucky I love him ha ha. Anyway, always fun to read your blog. Keep up the good work.

lr said...

Thanks for answering my questions! Funny of all the fancy ones -- Suave worked the best. I will give it a try. Thanks for the info -- it was very helpful. It looks like I have some experimenting to do! :)

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.