Spring Trends and How to Wear 'Em 2013

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I feel like a little powerhouse this morning. You know those days when you get up and you're just like, an efficient machine all day? Oh yeah. After this I have very important business-y phone calls to make, stuff to do at the city office, grocery shopping to do and I might even squeeze in some sock matching. I mean, is there anything more fulfilling? OK fine, being the pope MAYBE but sock matching is a close second.

Anyway, it's spring and beautiful here. This morning, I realized that I was out of my beloved Crystal Light and remembered that I had a secret stash in my car (such is the nature of my insane addiction) so I went running out there at 6 a.m. in my pajamas and it wasn't even cold. Mind you, it was supremely creepy, but not cold. My town is inherently creepy in the dark. We don't have streetlights and there's just like, wild animals waiting to eat my innards.

But where was I? Yes, spring. Which means it's time for spring fashion treeeeeeends (pretend I said that like Oprah, k?) I thought I'd break it down with some normal-people style, because let's face it, I'm never going to have the time, place or wherewithal to wear a pair of thigh-high gladiator sandals or a sheer neon mini dress. Instead, let's wear this instead!

Leather Love

spring2013-1



Object Collectors Item pullover sweater, $48 / H&M , $37 / Accessorize ballerina flat / A|Wear roca wear handbag, $45 / Fun jewelry, $41 / Retro jewelry

Yes, I own a pair of leather pants. And also a leather skirt. And eight leather jackets (I seriously almost bought one on Monday too but I abstained). So naturally, I like me some leather. Which is grrrrreat because leather is big this spring. The trick to doing 2013 Spring leather is to soften it up. A long, loose-weave sweater and flats make these pants less "do me" and more "do me a solid and join this book club with me." Aw, sweet. I wore my leather pants over the weekend to see a matinee showing of Oz (loooooove) and I didn't even feel like I was going to a biker bar. Small victories, people.

Neutral Neon
Spring2013-2



James Perse v neck tee / Skinny leg jeans / American Eagle Outfitters neon flip flops / Neon messenger bag / Style tryst / Dorothy Perkins stretch bracelet / Loop scarve

You guys, I am seeing a lot of baaaaaad neon this spring. Last year's neon was really juvenile and this year's neon is a little more neutral. And I am aware that doesn't make sense. What I'm saying is that new neon is less Cyndi Lauper and more tropical this year, especially when you pair it with seriously neutral clothes or another big trend -- camo. So cute without being like "YAYY I went to a Tiffany concert once!" You may have seen people matching neon with neon. It is terrifying. Avoid.

PS I also like neon in accessory form if wearing a day-glo mini skirt has you seeing flashbacks. Scarf and flip flops -- adorable!

Black and White All Over
Spring2013-3



Jane Norman scoop neck t shirt, $12 / Jane Norman , $45 / Michael Antonio sparkly heels / Oasis handbag, $45 / Amrita Singh / Statement necklace, $24

The big color combo du jour is all black and white, all the time. Which isn't exactly inspired but hey, it's easy and it looks good. To make your black and white look more interesting, start mixing up patterns. It's OK because you're only doing two colors. And because I said so. I love florals with stripes. It's OK to team up an abstract print with something more graphic like so. And the best part is that you probably have a ton of black and white in your wardrobe already. Score!

Railroad Stripes
Spring2013-4



Wet Seal striped top / Uniqlo super skinny jeans / Kelly & Katie straw beach tote / Coach jewelry

I almost made a joke about how you should "choo-choose" stripes but this is a very serious fashion blog, people. But how cute is this? This year's stripes are awesome-sauce because they're railroad stripes and railroad stripes are vertical. Remember that time you asked your friends if horizontal stripes made you look fat and she said no, but deep down you know she was lying? You don't have to worry about that anymore! Just make sure you break up the look by adding in some cute wedges or tons of color, because you're not actually working on a railroad.

Tailored Shorts
Spring2013-5


YAY! My beloved bermies are back in action and this year, they're getting a makeover. New bermuda shorts are structured and tailored enough to wear with blazers and heels, because they're practically a trouser. Look for cuffed hems and tailored pockets in luxe-y fabrics like pinstripe. Adorable and crazy leg-lengthening when worn with wedges. This may prompt me to refer to your legs as gams. And make you feel uncomfortable.


So, love or hate? Wear or don't wear? Eat a donut or don't eat a donut? Sorry, that last one is my tortured breakfast choice.

8 comments:

Morgan Hagey said...

Love the stripes and the bermudas! I'm on the fence about neon, honestly. I just remember wearing it in 1992. I can't decide.

Jae said...

Ha, my rule of thumb is that if you wore it once, don't wear it again. BUT! You could do a coral swap for the neon and it would look every bit as 2013.

IandS said...

Yay for bermudas!!!!!...and it's always "eat a donut" :)

Nathaly Blalock said...

I love bermudas. But I HATE matching socks. Worst chore. No bathrooms are. And ironing. Then sock matching.

Jennifer Wells said...

I accidentally scrolled past the part where you named a look "railroad stripes," and just started reading, "I almost said choo-choose this," and thought, "Why would she say that? Is it just always funny to say that you choo-choose something?"

Brain, get back in my head.

Jae said...

Haha yeah, I just usually go around saying choo-choose to people. It IS always funny!

Jae said...

PS Nat, no ironing for me either. Like, I don't even own an ironing board.

Nathaly Blalock said...

Haha, just now reading this. My ironing board is still wrapped in plastic. I bought it 5 years ago.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.