Non-Hippie Boho Styles

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I think we can all agree that I maintain a pretty straight-laced style. I identify mostly with preppy clothes, only without the bank account, bad nicknames and pretentious children (seriously if I see another "what my child wore" post I will go insane). But I do like to loosen up once in a while and love me some boho. But I can see how boho can be intimidating for some. Too little and you're not boho enough, too much and you look like a Woodstock wannabe, amiright?

But I've come up with some boho outfits that balance out the hippy-ness of boho pieces so you can wear them everyday. Seriously, boho is too interesting to skip completely. I love me some embroidery and leather!

boho2


Unless you're Rachel Zoe (and I'm reasonably sure you're not) boho dressing is all about proportion. If you're wearing a loose, flowy piece up top, go structured on the bottom and vice versa. If you go all boho skirt with long drapey cardigan, you're going to end up looking like that weird art teacher everyone had. It's best to choose one boho piece and build the rest of your outfit around it instead. Love some comfortable Free People Clothing like this shirt here. Aaaaand this shirt says it wants to belong to me badly.

boho3


Don't be afraid to mix boho pieces into some of your other stuff. Aztec pattern is pretty much the biggest thing ever right now, but worn with soft brown leather and you'll look like you're attending Burning Man. Add a hard leather jacket and suddenly, it's date night material. Unless your date is Burning Man. In which case, enjoy.

boho1


Here are some ideas for boho pieces without committing to an entire wardrobe overhaul: Tons of scarves, antique gold jewelry, brown leather EVERYTHING, slouchy bags, long lines and shapes, loosey goosey clothes and layering your jewlery. You want it to be a bit eclectic and not so planned.

I do like how everything looks a bit sunnier with brighter colors, flowy shapes and embroidery. And I need all the sunny I can get, people. I had to go to the bank today and walking outside made me want to become a recluse.

So, how do you define your style? Are you into boho? More structured? Decidedly more into sweatpants and oversized band T's?

4 comments:

Jennifer Wells said...

Oo, I love boho! I think that's the closest resemblance to my own style there is. Also, I'm not sure if that sentence made any sense.

Jae said...

That's OK. We understand each other and that's all that matters.

juliegrant24 said...

I seriously want to hire you to come buy me a new wardrobe. Then to send me pictures every day of what I should be wearing. :-)

Jae said...

Ooh, let's do it! lol

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.