Going Commando

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Ha, you totally thought this post would be about going sans undies, right? Because just in case I didn't have enough sexual deviants visiting my page, I wanted to invite some more.

But seriously, this is about the military trend and "Going Commando" was the only thing I come up with. There was also a period in high school when I didn't know what it meant and would use it to describe my brother's computer activity. "I would have chatted with you on ICQ, but my brother was going commando and wouldn't let me on the computer UGH." Yup, I was an awkward teen and made everyone uncomfortable.

SO, have you guys noticed that military is kind of a big deal lately? I will admit that I'm kind of a pacifist. Cut me some slack, I'm Canadian. We're all hippies. The first time I ever shot a gun I cried for 30 straight minutes and went into a "WHO AM I" shame spiral because I felt like I was betraying my roots. I haven't shot one since. But, while war scares me, military clothes DELIGHT me. They are adorable and boyish and structured and everything I love about fashion.



Want some tips on how to wear military-inspired clothes without looking like a new recruit? I KNOW YOU DO.

Military



Step 1. Look for stuff that fits tight. Wearing a cute pair of camo skinny crops is one thing. Wearing actual cargo pants is another. Military coat = yes. Oversized bomber = what the heck.

Step 2: Choose one military-inspired piece. ONE. Anything more and you're going to look GI Joe and while that's all well and good for The Rock, it's not OK for a garden-variety mom.

Step 3. Mix it with something girly. You need to have some feminine accent, whether it's a cinch-y belt, a flower brooch, an a-line skirt, whatever. Just something that says "I may look tough, but I cry at The Notebook and have a crush on Ryan Reynolds."

Step 4. Add something bright. The new-school way to wear khaki, olive and camo is with bright colors. I love it especially with cobalt and that reddy-orange that everyone was wearing last year. It just makes the look clearly fashion rather than fatigues oh I am so funny.

Step 5. Wear aviators and feel cool. That's what I do.

Military is pretty much everything this spring, so what say ye? Will you jump on the bandwagon? You totally can, even if you're scared of confrontation and you think camouflage looks better in the mall than in the woods. 

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.