Winter Coat Love -- on a Budget!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Can I point out that this is my 501st post? I feel like I should do something special. Umm. I got nothin'.

That aside, I did want to take some time out of my busy schedule posting posed pictures of myself to talk about winter coats. Is it starting to get cold where you are? It's actually really warm here in Utah still. I'm mad because I just bought a new winter jacket and boots and they are in no way appropriate for wear yet. Darn. But! I'll be in Canada next week and they know how to do winter there, so I'm looking forward to some snow bunnyness.

Now, the main mistake I see in winter jacket wear is shapeless-ness. Puffy coats are warm, but they also make me question your gender, you know? I'm all for staying toasty warm during the cold months. I'm from a place where your nostrils froze together on the way to school. I get that. Just make sure you buy with warmth and style in mind and we should be good. Warm nostrils, pretty fashion -- what more could you ask for?



Parkas


I love me some parkas in the winter time. I used to have a green one but my husband hated it and I have a feeling it found its way to the charity bag. Nevermind, I bought a new white one last weekend -- it was on sale! When looking for mucho warmth, parkas are where it's at. Just look for girly details. I LOVE fur on the hood and toggles that let you cinch up the wist. Bonus if you get a bright color.

leathers


If it's a little cool but not exactly freezing, leather jackets are my go-to coat. I have an uber-high cold tolerance, so my leathers get a lot of love during the winter here. I have some that are real leather, some that aren't and I don't care either way as long as they're cute. Look for slimming details -- a streamlined cut and scuba -- or moto -- collar is super flattering. I love these with jeans and heels for date night too. Ca-yoot!

pea coat



Belted pea coat / Pea coat / Precis Petite pea coat, $205 / Fur coat / Black swing coat, $48
If you want something warm but you don't want to look like you live in an igloo, you must own a pea coat. They NEVER go out of style and they're my fave with flats and jeans. So classic. My parents bought me my first pea coat for Christmas when I was17 and I still have it -- how's that for longevity. I have since bought a couple more, my fave being a bright red one. They're super warm and I wear them with everything.

trenches


Finally, if you're looking for something lighter and more formal, have a trench on hand. It's not exactly toasty, but it'll keep you dry on drippy, warmish days. Ew, drippy and warmish should never be used in a sentence together ever again. Sorry about that. REGARDLESS. I wear my trenches when I'm in skirts and dresses. There's just something about a trench with heels and usually when I'm dressed up, I'm only outside for two seconds anyway.

My advice would be to grab a range of jackets for the winter. You should have a wardrobe of different jackets on hand. I even have a super puffy ski jacket that I wear for snowmobiling. It's pink. It matches my pink helmet. Very important detail. If you don't have the budget for a closet full of coats, I would recommend you go with a pea coat for your all-around jacket, since it goes with both casual and dressy clothes. Then you can build out from there.

OK, all this talk about coats is making me wish for snow... um, anytime now, 55-degree Utah weather...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did your husband hate your parka? Sometimes my husband will tell me he hates something I'm wearing, and I'm like, "What??"

--Nora

Jae said...

I have no idea... I ask him all the time and he just shrugs his shoulders and wrinkles his nose. THEN! He bought me a new one, bless his heart -- in a child's size. Like a kid's size 12. It was awesome.

Jae said...

Also, I'm thinking of changing the name of my blog to "Conversations with Nora."

Anonymous said...

"Conversations with Nora," sounds like it should be available in large-print.

--NB

kristina kenway said...

Awesome coats and I love the tights and bag too. Amazing outfit.
Port Authority Clothing

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.