Holiday What-to-Wear Shopping List

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I am still holding strong on my "No shopping until the day after Thanksgiving" rule, which has been hard, let me tell you. I'm in the market for these boots and it's killing me to wait, but what if they're on saaaaale? So instead of going on a stage five spending spree, I thought I'd make up my Holiday Wear Wish List so I can keep an eye out on stuff while I shop.

Because, you know what's coming? Holiday parties. And your husband's work party. And hanging out with your weird extended family that you don't like but want to feel superior to. You know what I mean. So it's time to start searching out holiday-appropriate pieces so you look dressy without looking crazy... and without spending a ton.

1928 ring


1928 ring
It's statement jewelry time and that makes me happy! Be on the lookout for tons of gold this season.... this one totally does the whole oxblood thing and manages to look heirloomy at the same time. What? Heirloomy is totally a word. 

BCBG Max Azria scarve


BCBG Max Azria scarve (see more faux fur scarves)
I've been obsessing over this fur scarf for like, three weeks now and I should probably just pull the trigger and buy it. I just think there's a million ways to wear it: Fancy up a pea coat, wear it with a plain Jane sweater and boots, layer it over a cardigan with a cocktail dress. White fur is so holiday that it makes me want to listen to Aaron Neville's Christmas album while drinking hot chocolate and riding a reindeer as I decorate my home. BUT I MUST NOT. I WILL WAIT. 

Clutch


Clutch (see more vintage beaded clutches)
Clutches make me more happy than they should, but that's because I'm a shallow person. Seriously though, I will say it until I'm blue in the face. Do not bring your oversized mommy bag to any event cocktail dress or more formal. Slinging your giant hobo over a chair is no bueno. Instead, grab a clutch, be happy you don't have to pack wipes for your big night out and take the chic route. This way, your clutch goes on the table or lap... you're not fishing your giant bag from underneath the table. I'm loving the vintage glam of this beaded bag, but literally any clutch that floats your boat will work. You can find cheap ones at Target, F21, wherever, so no excuses!  

OK, I just looked through what I already posted and it appears I'm on a bit of a vintage kick this winter. I just love the idea of a gorg, ladylike and glam holiday season. K? K. Moving on. 

 
Dorothy Perkins top


Dorothy Perkins top (see more dorothy perkins)
Have a special ocssion top on hand that you can throw on for family parties, get-together with friends or more casual stuff. Like, you want to be comfy, but not hoodie-comfy. Instead, something like this, with dark jeans and a serious pair of boots? Fuggedaboutit. Or, pair it with a pencil skirt and you have a cocktail outfit. If you're on the prowl for a top like this, go for luxe fabrics and details (think velvet add-ons, sequins and rich colors) and a killer fit so you don't need to add much else. 

Wallis dress


Wallis dress (see more purple cocktail dresses)
Grab a versatile party dress. This would work with heels and gold jewels (and that fur scarf AH!) for a fancy party, but you could also totally wear it with a cardigan and flats for something more casual. Add tights and you have something more trendy and the color is perfect for the holidays without being like, the typical red holiday dress, you know? I love. Also, side-ruching accommodates a turkey baby. Just sayin'. 

 
Pumps


Pumps (see more polka dot high heels)
OMG How much do I love these pumps? So vintage. You should have a pair of serious shoes to wear to all your stuff. These would look killer with cocktail wear or dark, straight-cut jeans. And everything on this page. Maybe just buy everything on this page. Seriously though, go shopping for a pair of "OMG I love those shoes" heels. Even if you can only wear them for an hour, it'll be worth it. If I know I'm going to spend a lot of time on my feet, I have no qualms with bringing along a pair of flats to swap into as the night goes on. 

Also, notice the color palette we have goin' on here? Gold, black, nude, jewel tones. It's so holiday luxe and I love it. What's more, if you stick with a certain color palette, you'll always have something to wear and it'll be a no-brainer to coordinate for whatever party/dinner/awkward event with family you're going to. 

Now, I feel sufficiently soothed. Until next week. You're going to see my having chills and fever over being *thisclose*to shopshop time.   

4 comments:

Unknown said...

everything you say is golden.

like unto this colour palette...which im sure your hubs adores ;)

so wrong or so right that I know that?

Jae said...

O, B -- I can call you that, right? I feel like we're at the point of using nicknames now -- I think you're practically a member of my family now. I'd actually be offended if you didn't know my husband's favorite color palette. lol!

Unknown said...

after clapping to that response I can only say "call me what you want" ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReJ5p458DoY

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.