Bond Beauty

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My husband's family has a cabin about 90 minutes from where we live, and we head up every month or so. Confession time? When I'm at the cabin, I schlump around looking like a total hobo. I wear sweatpants and lounge on the deck reading David Sedaris, skip the makeup and rock the messy bun the entire time I'm up there. And hey, I don't care. It's a cabin, for heaven's sake. No one has to look nice and there's only two mirrors in the entire house.

Here's the problem. There's been times that we're heading down off the mountain and some friends want to meet for dinner or my husband needs to stop by the office, and suddenly unwashed hair and an oily T-zone are not OK anymore. There's been plenty of times where I look and feel crappy, yet I've got to head out into the public without frightening children and small animals.

For this reason, I've developed a way to put myself together in a few minutes, using only a couple of products that I have stashed in my car's glovebox. YES I DO THAT. I also keep receipts, a couple of old pens, and nail polish in my glovebox, just in case.

You know what's missing? Gloves.

But I digress. I thought it would be super helpful if you knew which emergency, spy-esque Bond beauty products I keep handy in case I have to go from hobo to hot in like, 5.2 seconds. OK, maybe not like, Bond-girl hot, but at least natural and presentable to society. Seriously, it takes three products and a bit of maverick hair skills, but it's totally doable.

K first? I grab this super-light foundation. I love this stuff for emergencies because it slathers on quick and evens out skin tone without looking all "done." I'm a diehard mineral makeup girl on a regular basis, but when I don't have my precious Bare Minerals with me, this stuff is perfect. Added bonus? It's thin enough that I can put t on without a mirror if I have to. A lot of times, it's not huge pores or zits that make you look hobo-ish, it's uneven skin tone. Even out and the rest of the stuff is less noticeable. 



I've been using this gel bronzer since I was a teenager - seriously. It's always stashed in my glovebox because it looks totally natural on and takes the place of bronzer and blush when I don't have time or products. You don't need a brush to put it on, which is perfect when I'm workin' with what I got. I just squeeze a tiny amount onto my finger tips and then dab along the tops of my cheekbones and temples to bring some color to my face, which is important when I've spent the weekend napping, eating chips and avoiding exercise. 


Oh yeah, you know I love me some Great Lash. I love my Dior any other day, but I don't just carry it around with me everywhere. That's weird and slightly obsessive. That's why I bought a tube of this inexpensive, perfectly basic mascara. I pull double duty and make it my eyeliner and mascara. I just stick it against the base of my lashes, wiggle to deposit color (ew that sounds gross) and then sweep it on up. Done!

Now, if my hair is totally hopeless after letting it air dry, I go to my old standby and stick it in a diagonal french braid. If you're still working on your self french braiding skills, and you have shoulder-length hair or longer, just tie it up into a low, messy bun. Short hair girls, I would just grab a couple of bobby pins and tie back my bangs when I had shorter strands. Easy! 

Seriously, that's it. These three products have saved me from looking like the queen of the undead when I have to unexpectedly meet up with friends, have been traveling all day, or whatever. Just goes to show that you don't need a ton of products or 30 minutes to primp. When you're running short on time and your makeup bag is nowhere in sight, your Bond products can fix you up.

They can also disguise you as a clever mime to infiltrate a drug ring, but that's a post for another day.

Alright, it's your turn. Have any incognito secrets for perking up fast? 




8 comments:

Kate said...

Love these tips! I think you covered the basics. I would probably add baby powder to the list for oily hair. It could double as a little underarm insurance, too. :) I'm curious to know if anyone has a favorite dry shampoo though. I tried to upgrade from baby powder to the new Suave spray dry shampoo and don't like it. I guess I didn't upgrade far enough! Suggestions welcome. :)

Jae said...

Kate, that's a brilliant idea too! As for brands, I really liked Got2B and Beyond the Zone for dry shampoo... the second is at beauty supply, but Got2B is just at walmart or wherever.

Leah J said...

I keep those same things (or at least a variation of the brands) and also a tube of lip gloss (I prefer L'Ancome) in my glove box for quick fixes (tubes of lip gloss won't melt and make a mess like a stick of tinted lip moisturizer will)....and a travel-sized pump hairspray :)

Great blog post!

Jae said...

AH, yes lips!! I keep a cheapie e.l.f. in my car at all times. It drives my husband insane. lol.

Lauren said...

I used to love that mascara, but after only about a month of use, I suddenly became allergic to the stuff. :(

That aside, this is a great "emergency kit," and a girl could really use any mascara she prefers! :D

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Oh my gosh, I didn't know anyone else used Bonne Bell gel bronzer!! lol That's seriously been my secret weapon since I was like, 14. For a while, I swear they stopped making it; it was really hard to find where I lived. So when I spotted a full supply in a drug store about 10 years ago I bought like, 20 of them. No joke. I'm still using that same stash! It's one of the only brozers that doesn't look totally fake on me. It actually gives a natural looking sun-kissed tan. I even had my mom mail it to me when I was in Brazil. Lol. Love it!

Jae said...

Haha Sara, that is hilarious. I thought I was the only one who still used it! But I like that it doesn't look powdery, you know? Plus I'm just set in my 11th grade ways. We're really in trouble if I start rocking white eyeliner again.

Jennifer Wells said...

Oo, good one. A berry-colored lipstick that can either be used as blush or for my lips, a tiny sample-sized bottle of perfume, an eye lash curler, and an e.l.f. shimmery-highlight thing. I believe that is the technical term for it.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.