What I Wore: Mod Men

Monday, May 21, 2012

I had to take some medication last night and it made me obscenely dizzy, so my apologies if this is ridden with more typos than usual. It's 7:14 and I'm already planning around a future nap.

I also forgot to tell you that I got a contact over the weekend. Not contacts. A contact. I'm so completely blind in one eye that there's no reason to try and correct it. So if my eyes look puffy for the next few weeks, it's because I've taken 17 tries to get the dang thing in my eye. On the bright side, I'm not a danger to other drivers and myself anymore. YAY!

ANYWAY, it's no secret that I love vintage-y clothing looks, especially from the 50s and 60s. I'm obsessed with uber-feminine silhouettes. The only problem with buying old-school pieces, like a seriously cute polka dot, mid-length pencil skirt, is that it can look like you're wearing a costume if you don't put a modern spin on things. Which is OK if you're going to an actual costume party. If not... weird.

Photobucket
Tank: c/o/ modbod
Cardi: Downeast Basics
Skirt: Urban Wear
Shoes: dear
Belt: Downeast
Hairpiece: F21
Cuff: Local (Bella Ella)
Necklace: Antique

I decided that a modern color palette would help bring this into 2012. While this would probably look adorable with all red and black, the plum cardi helped it look less pin-up girl. Plus, how adorable are its big black and gold buttons? I love.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
This skirt is definitely a keeper. I bought it on Friday and I'm already thinking of all the ways to wear it.


PhotobucketPhotobucket
The hair thingy was another throwback. I loved the polka-dot netting but it's a MAJOR accessory. Didn't need much else when I already had feathers and VEIL on my head. Also, these shoes are my favorite red shoes ever. They're crazy comfortable and super shiny, which is what I Look for in a red shoe. I've just about worn them out and that makes me sad. But since I bought them for $8 when Steve and Barry's was still around, I guess I got my money's worth!

Now that I'm done playing Betty Draper, it's back to real life. My kindergartner is now in summer break season and I'm sweating while thinking of how to entertain my kids for the next two months. Ideas?

7 comments:

Jennifer Wells said...

Sometimes it's easiest to entertain your kids by inviting one or two of their little friends over and letting them do their thing. Sounds counter-intuitive, but my six-year-old is much more occupied when his neighborhood buddy comes over.

Jae said...

So true Nora! I seriously consider which friends can play with my kids - high maintenance ones are NOT allowed!

Unknown said...

I've assigned certain activity types to each day of the week. Hopefully this way we'll have less "but I want to..." or "what the heck do we do today?!" or "I don't care, just go play on the computer".
Make it Monday: craft activities including sewing and painting sorts of things
Trip Tuesday: go somewhere like a new park, to the zoo, to grandma's house, etc.
Wet Wednesday: water fun! Go to a pool, a splash pad, or just turn on the sprinklers of fill up the water guns.
AnyTHing goes Thursdays: this is the catchall day that includes those activities that don't fit in elsewhere like "photography lessons", sports activities, etc.
Foodie Friday: try a new food, do taste tests, learn to follow a recipe, safety rules for kitchen working, etc.

We sat down and made a list of activities we would like to do in each category. This way I get to pick and choose the exact thing I do, whether it costs money or it cheap, whether it takes a lot of energy or I can do it while sipping a Dr Pepper and reading a library book. Oh, that reminds me -- the city library program will be a big part of our summer too. Springville city library even has reading programs for teens and adults. The big kid reading program helps me branch out a little in what I'm reading.

Jae said...

Janelle, I am so jealous that you live near the Springville library! It's seriously awesome. I prefer activities where I can sip a DP and read too... lol. I predict a lot of days at the splash pad - hey, they can't drown!

Tammy said...

Love the red heels! Nice touch!

Neldamuse said...

Jae! Next time you are in Salt Lake you need to check out this store at the Gateway I just discovered called Betty Page!! It's such a delight - all these 50's dresses. That's all they make there. I've never seen anything like it. It made my day. : ) Anyway, your cute outfit made me think of it.

Jae said...

Nelda, thanks for the tip! I will definitely check it out. I was just up at City Creek but I didn't get over to the Gateway booo

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.