What to Wear: To Workout 2012

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I'll admit that I've totally written about workout wear before. But when I wrote that post, I was like, the weakest fitness enthusiast EVER. I was the kind of person who went to the gym, wandered around a bit, hopped on the elliptical and watched an episode of "Giada at Home," wandered around some more and went home. Seriously.

Lately, it's gotten more serious for me. One of my awesome friends just recently certified in kickboxing, and two of my other awesome friends have been my workout buddies, so I've been gymming it up at least 4 times per week since February. It's amazing what some accountability can do. And not wimpy gym-going. I'm talking hour-long, push yourself to the max before praying for sweet mercy stuff. I'll never be a runner and I'm not great at sports, but I like to think that I've really stepped it up in the fitness arena, and I'm super happy with the results. I have no idea if I"ve lost weight because I haven't weighed myself for years, but my body looks better, I've got WAY more energy (WAY) and my clothes are fitting better too. Can't complain.

My friend Kim (who is a fitness coach - follow her on Facebook and get tons of daily workout inspiration!) always says that it's all about finding your "soulmate workout", meaning you've gotta try a bunch of stuff to find something you really love to do. For instance, my sad turns on the elliptical didn't do anything for me because I hate cardio and machines. Duh.

For some, it's running, others love Zumba (oh how I hate Zumba) while others kick it with yoga. After trying a ton of different routines, I've finally whittled down my schedule so it looks like this:
Monday: Pilates
Tuesday: Weight training + Plyometrics
Wednesday: Cardio
Thursday: Weight training + Plyometrics
Friday: Yoga

I love weight training the best because I like pushing myself, so it gets two days. Cardio is usually kickboxing, unless someone drags me to Zumba, where I hang out in the back and wish I were dead. Since I do a wide variety of stuff, I need to change up my workout gear to match what I'm doing. I thought it'd be helpful for you to see what I love and hate about workout clothes so it's one thing you DON'T have to worry about when you're exercising.

OK, can I just say that I'm a HUGE proponent of getting workout wear that makes you feel great? Back when I was sucking at fitness, I would just wear whatever because it literally didn't matter. Once I got back on track and made working out a priority, my old clothes didn't cut it anymore. Not only did I need better performance from my clothes, but I wanted my gear to inspire me to workout harder. For me, that meant ditching the oversized tees and spending a bit of extra money on well-fitting stuff with performance fabrics. That way, I couldn't shlump around and give it 25 percent; it's all or nothing.

I'll point out here that it's not about looking pretty when you workout. I think there's a special circle of hell reserved for people who wear full hair and makeup to the gym. But I think you should feel confident and ready to give 100 percent when working out, and that's easier if you feel good about yourself and the way you look.

What's more, I always work out with instructors, which means they sometimes need to check my form. That's impossible if I'm wearing my hubby's sweats. So here's some of the stuff I recommend for different types of workouts!

yoga


OK, so I found that when I do yoga and Pilates, I want as little clothing as possible. This is for two reasons: 1) I go from 0 degrees to 6,000 degrees after the first five minutes, and 2) the instructor needs to see my form. If I'm wearing baggy or constricting clothes, she has no idea what I'm doing. Plus, is it weird that I just think it's a pretty form of exercise? Bodies look so graceful.

I'm a big fan of yoga shorts, but it definitely took some nerve to get over my body issues and wear them all the time. Now I don't care, but two months ago, they were scary. If you don't want to go with shorts, look for tight-fitting capris instead. They make amazing compression fabrics now that are super-flattering and help your form and posture too. True story: I usually end up wearing slippers to both classes because I prefer to practice barefoot in both. My slippers are knee-high rainbow mukluks. I look like a crazy person.

cardio


Link
When it comes to cardio days, I like my gear to hold me in. When you're jumping and kicking and punching all over the place, the last thing you want to worry about is jigglybutt, am I right? I just bought a pair of Calvin Klein Performance capris and they are awesome for cardio workouts. Also, make sure you have a great sports bra. I won't discourse on bras because they're obviously super personal to your size, but you just need something that'll hold the cookies in place when doing cardio, OK? No excuses. Also, sports hairbands are a must-have for me. I do not want to be worrying about hair in my face when I'm working out. A pack of 'em costs like $3 at Walmart.

weights


Weight lifting days are the closest I come to shlubby gym wear. Since I only have a short period of plyo, I can get away with wearing more comfortable pants because I'm usually moving slowly and taking my time. I like a traditional yoga pant or whatever I actually have clean that day. I prefer tee's to tanks for weightlifting - I LOVE these VS ones. I like tissue-thin tees that keep me cool and don't get all gross and sweaty. And since it takes a while to warm up when lifting weights, a hoodie is a must when it's cooler outside. I also can get away with a lower performance bra because there's less bounce-age.

To be honest, I push myself the hardest on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I don't want to think about what I'm wearing or how I look when I'm on my 400th lunge. I'm in the Incredible Hulk zone. We worked lower back yesterday and I'm feeling it today!

I just don't want not knowing what to wear to stop you from getting your daily workout in. Even if you're just walking to the park, you'll put in a better effort if you're dressed the part. The other day I got home from my workout and I was still in my gear, and I found that I was more likely to get out and play a game of soccer with the kids because I was already in my trainers and clothes.

Places to get workout gear at great prices: JCPenney, Macy's, F21 (but I find it's not higher performance stuff. I usually wear it for yoga and Pilates) Nike Outlets are awesome, and I've even found great stuff at places like Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

NO excuses, people. Workout wear can either help or hinder your performance, so don't waste your time by putting in half the effort. Even if you fall off the wagon (last week was my daughter's last week of school and we literally had something every morning of the week) don't use it as an excuse to stop. Use it as an excuse to train harder.

That being said, I'm late for a kickboxing class.

Any stuff you're super in love with for working out? Anything you totally hate? Are you eating donuts RIGHT NOW?

15 comments:

bequi said...

I workout with a group of ladies at my church. We were trying a bunch of different workout DVDs, and we've landed on Leslie Sansone. She does walking in place. So we do that for about an hour, and then 10 minutes of yoga to get our stretch on, and then we're done. I've started using a resistance band so my arms get a workout while I walk. I was pretty disappointed recently when I discovered I didn't have the upper body strength to start a lawn mower.

What recommendations do you have for shoes? I have 2 pairs of tennis shoes, one with arch support, the other without. But it seems like either way, my arches are always KILLING me 30 minutes into my workout.

Jae said...

Well, I go barefoot on Monday and Friday, but I wear Nike cross trainers for the rest - just an all purpose shoe. I look for something with a ton of arch support, especially for weight training. I also think that lighter shoes are best for cardio, but I like more substantial shoes for weights.

A trainer can give you better advice, but getting fitted for shoes will make a huge difference. Go at the end of the day, when your feet are a bit swollen from just walking around. Join Kim's Facebook page (linked in the post) and I'll have her post some recommendations for you later today - I'm just on my way to see her now. She's a gear guru! She buys workout shoes like I buy heels lol.

Jessica said...

Lululemon! Once you try Lululemon you will never go back. It's a bit pricier but it lasts forever and is totally worth the fit and quality.

jen bryner said...

i NEVER thought i'd be a runner...ever...but it turns out that it's my workout! go figure. since i have PCOS i have to do pretty much all cardio in order to lose any weight. i wear nikes to run in and a good sports bra is a MUST!! i worked out without one for a long time until my SIL took pity on me and actually bought me one! kinda funny but i love it and of course i now know the benefits :) i'm in the market for some good running shorts though...right now i'm just wearing yoga pants because they are fitted and don't get in the way of running. i have a treadmill at home and i watch 'gilmore girls' while i run. you just can't beat that!

Sis said...

I'm a runner too. I wear three sports bras on top of each other, a t-shirt and spandex capris. My running shoes are asics gel cumulus 13

Unknown said...

Just PLEASE everyone -- wear clothes that FIT. Not "clothes I can get on without popping all the seams", but workout clothes that actually fit YOU. We cannot see the size number on the tag, but when you're wearing yoga pants 4 sizes too small we CAN see your undies.
Sports bras are NOT one size fits all either. The ones you can pick up at WalMart are mostly only good for A or B cups. If your boobies are much larger than that you end up with what looks like a single tub of jello under your chin. On top of the uniboob look, a good fitting bra will not add to saggage (ew!) and will help your back and boobies feel TONS better. Look online for sports bras that require a band and cup size. I get my bras (36F) from figleaves.com, but there are plenty of online options. Just make sure they have a good return policy in case it doesn't fit quite right.
There is a big variety in athletic shoes also. i think it was on zappos where I found information on finding the right pair of shoes. It depends on the way you shift your weight on your foot. Whether you over pronate, underpronate, or are neutral, there are shoes designed for each situation. If you get shoes designed for a different style than you, even if they work perfectly for someone else they can actually do damage to your feet! Makes a huge difference.

Jae said...

Jessica, totally agree. I love my Lulu!

Janelle, yes SIZE definitely counts. I think workout clothes should fit, but they don't need to be skin tight.

It's hard to recommend shoes because you really need to be fitted professionally... everyone is different!

Angelfire212 said...

In 2009, I worked out and ate right, and lost 90 pounds! I wore schluby t-shirts and shorts or sweat pants (depending on the day). A good sports bra is CRITICAL!!!

Now, I've gained 70 back (thank you MBA) and plan to lose it again once school is done (last semester!). Oh, and I just downed a cookies & creme milkshake, courtesy of Chick-fil-A.

Lisa said...

Love all of your outfit choices. I am a runner, although it has taken me about 6 years to actually enjoy it, plus I do weights and a little cardio. The only outfit I would change is what you wear to do weights. Tank tops and shorts are ideal so you can better see the muscle you are building! :)

Natalie said...

Just as a red Ferrari looks fast standing still in a parking lot, I think the proper workout gear can make us look more athletic and motivate us to step in to that title. Thanks for this one Jae, I just got myself some ridiculously multi colored , glow in the dark shoes. Now I wanna work out all the time just to wear them. Oh and AMEN on the zumba!

Lauren said...

I am a long time reader of your blog but this is the first post I can actually relate to!
Lately, at the gym I go to, I have been digging the SET class- Strength-Endurance Training. It kicks my trash every week! It is a class that does 3 minute sets alternating between weights and high intensity cardio intervals. Other days I do Zumba (which I am terrible at but I still like it for some reason), spinning, and weights. And I lift heavy!
For the clothes, I have found some great deals at Dillards in their clearance sections. LOVE Under Armor too! Their heat gear stuff is what I use when I run. Great stuff!
As for shoes, I always thought I was an Adidas girls until I tried Saucony Kinvara. I will never go back! I have 2 pairs and am looking for the third pair right now. The best lightweight running shoes (for me). And they are great for my wide feet...but don't tell anyone about the feet...

Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jae said...

Natalie, that is a killer analogy. I definitely push myself more when I'm dressed the part.

Lauren, I love me some strength training. I think it's super empowering... it's definitely my fave. Oh, and I'm really bad at Zumba too. I mostly just hide in the corner.

Unknown said...

I have several sites that promote modesty in fashion and swimwear Modest Swimsuits for Women is one.

Blogger said...

Did you know you can create short urls with BCVC and make cash from every click on your short links.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.