Jae Raids the Drugstore: Best (and Worst) Beauty Buys II

Tuesday, May 15, 2012



So, you guys know I was on a shopping fast last month because I haven't shut up about it for the last 60 days. Like, we get it Jae. You didn't shop. There are starving children in Africa.

Of course, I had to have an outlet for shopping or else I would have ended up with the shakes, so makeup made up almost all of my purchases for the entire month of April.

Seriously, in true addict style I ended up just going to Walgreens and throwing the entire beauty department in my cart. Then I talked myself out of it and only came home with a few things. My husband and my bank account were grateful.

I thought I'd show you some of the stuff that I got that I loved (and hated) on the cheap at the drugstore. It's OK to feed your habit if you're also shopping for cough medicine, right? RIGHT!?


Rimmel Scandal Eyes Mascara

Despite the fact that I HATE the commercial for this stuff (seriously, it's not the gap that bugs me, it's the ugly face she makes OVER and OVER again during the entire spot) but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. I did that thing where you put saline solution in your mascara to make it last longer at the very end, but I could only make it last so long and the stupid Nordstrom near me shut down and I had a mascara emergency! I actually really like this stuff! It's not as smooth as my usual mascara, and I don't think I like it as much as Million Lashes, but it's pretty close. Gives me nice, fat lashes, which is the only part of my body that I would ever wish to be nice and fat.


Sonia Kashuk Brush Couture

Can I just tell you how much I love Sonia Kashuk brushes? Obviously they're from Target and not the drugstore, but I feel like because Target HAS a drug store, it counts. Anyway, this is my second set of SK brushes - the others I had for almost three years. They're super soft and lovely. I love the huge one for bronzer, and the last one in that row makes the coolest smoky eyes in one step, which is pretty brilliant. And I got all of them for like, $14 - not too shabby!

Wet n' Wild Color Icon Shadow Trio in Knock on Wood.

I was in a beauty slump last month and wanted something to kick it, but I also didn't want to commit to something pricey, so I picked this little number up for a couple of bucks. I'm telling you now: If you have blue eyes, get this palette! It's totally foolproof - I mean, each color tells you where it goes on your eyes, for goodness sake - and it makes my blue eyes totally pop. It would look really pretty with brown eyes too. I'm impressed!


Maybelline Baby Lips in Peach Kiss

Would you laugh at me if I told you I bought this at Walmart while we were picking up patio chairs and a couple of plants? Because that's how I roll. This stuff is like grown-up Lip Smackers. I can't really sat if it improved my lips at all, which is like, the whole schtick for this stuff, but it tastes awesome and I like the hint of color it gives. It's my new go-to laid-back lip that I keep in my purse and reapply 50,000 times per day.


Wet n' Wild Mega Eyes Liquid Liner

Oh, Wet n' Wild. You did so well with the Trio and then failed miserably with this liquid liner.

I totally hate it. I ran out of my beloved e.l.f. liner (are you detecting a pattern here? I make risky makeup choices when my stuff runs out) and grabbed this when I was out and about. I just hate the way it goes on. It seems like a liquid, but the coverage is pretty terrible. I needed like, three coats for it to show up. Not a fan :(


Maybelline Volume Seduction XXL

Makeup names are ridiculous. Anyway, this stuff is like a crack stick. I LOVE IT. I grabbed a couple - in Born With It (shown) and Fully Blushed - and I love them both. I've bought plumping lip stuff before, and usually it just stung. This gets your lips all tingly and I love the super sheer colors. You also get a ton of shine. I'm actually really glad I bought two - the one shown is really sheer, and then I got a pinker tone. If you're looking for Angelina lips, you're not going to get it from a lip gloss, but I love that these brought a ton of natural color. Definitely a keeper.

K, it's your turn. Have you found anything that you love for cheap at the drugstore you can share? Or have you tried any of the stuff I bought in a moment of weakness?

13 comments:

Anna@Exasperation said...

I was really hoping you were going to give me your .02 on overnight/anti-aging creams. Because I'm not going to drop $150 on those things, but I'd really like to find a good one that does some serious work while I'm sleeping. I'm 32 and the fine lines are setting in. I MUST STOP THEM! Do you have any that you like?

Jae said...

Anna, that's an awesome idea. Have I told you that I've developed a wrinkle? I don't even wanna talk about it. I'm dying to try This: http://www.amazon.com/RoC-Retinol-Correxion-Wrinkle-1-Ounce/dp/B00027DMI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337094091&sr=8-1

So you've given me an excuse! I shall buy it and report.

Nathaly Blalock said...

I love when you do this. Two questions, though. 1) Do you usually buy e.l.f liquid liner or the pencil? 2) What do you use to take off your mascara? I've been using maybeline colossal volum' express and even though I like how it looks on the first application, it gets super clumpy if I try to reapply. Do you use waterproof? Maybe that's my problem. What cheap mascara would you recommend most? (I'm talking under $10) Okay, that's 4 questions.

IandS said...

I'm in love with the covergirl lip gloss that also has a hint of color. It's the one with Taylor Swift on the package (can you tell I don't do much with makeup AND I'm too lazy to go upstairs and see what it's actually called?!?!). I love that it doesn't feel like I have a truck load of goo on my lips and therefore, it doesn't get wiped off/licked off within 5 minutes of application. Oh, and I got it from Costco - 3 for $10 - SCORE!!!!!

Jae said...

lol Nat.
1) I buy the liquid stuff. I looove it, especially in the plum color.
2) I seriously only ever use Dial soap on my face. It takes off mascara and doesn't freak my skin out.
3) I don't use waterproof. I'm an emotional robot and never cry, remember? Although, in high humidity areas (like when I lived at home) I definitely did. It's a thicker formula, so I would start with a thickening mascara and do one coat instead of two.If you want to do two coats, you probably need something thinner.
4) My fave cheap one is the L'Oreal Million Lashes or whatever the heck it's called.

Did I get them all? lol.

Unknown said...

Jae, I bought Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips Eye Enhancing Cream Liner based on a review from another blogger. It comes in a 3-color pot set color coordinated for your eye color. I bought the Hazel set, and it's my color pots are pink/burgundy, brown and black. It also comes with a brush, but I don't care much for the quality of the brush and use my Sonia Kashuk liner brush. These cream/gel liners are wonderful if you prefer the ease of a eye pencil, but prefer the staying power of a liquid. I've tried liquid and I get that stuff everywhere. These are a great alternative and were only $9 at my local WalMart.

Here's the link:

http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-us/productdetail/eyes/eye-shadows/07048.html



I also like the Physician's Formula Healthy Wear tinted moisturizer. It comes in an spf 50. I'm outside alot in the summer months, and my face used to burn quite often, but not since I started using this tinted moisturizer. Also, a little goes a long way.

Here's the link:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod1930125

McMel said...

i haven't seen the rimmel commercial, but i have the mascara & i love it!

also, re: the baby lips, have they improved it b\c i have 3 tubes and they all taste so bad that i can't wear them b\c i lick my lips so often. maybe they took read my mind and flavored them. i certainly hope so!

Nathaly Blalock said...

Yup, thanks Jae. FL is very very high humidity and I feel like my eyeliner and mascara smudge so quickly. I'm going to give that liquid liner another shot. I bought one once and it was dried out from the moment I bought it! Maybe I just got a bad one.

Jennifer Wells said...

I'm kind of a one-trick pony with my e.l.f. products, but I will say that making home made lip balm is easy and cheap.

I'm not a crafty person. I look at many domestic projects and back away in horror.

However, grating a bit of beeswax into a little container with olive oil, placing it into a pot full of water and heating it until it melts will give you the richest, highest-quality lip balm ever.

Don't ask me for measurements.

Lauren said...

Okay, I will happily invest $3.49 to try the Wet n' Wild eye shadow but how do I choose a color palette? My eyes are greenish/hazel.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Ooh, Jae, maybe I'll try that one at the same time as you because I'm totally out. And $16 is a screaming good deal in the anti-aging dept. Thanks!
Also, in June I'm going shopping for my new summer vacation wardrobe. If you HAPPEN to do a post about summer basics that pack well and work well in multiple outfits and are also affordable, I would totally be into that. Just sayin'. (I'm being a bossy commenter today. I just told Jenna what to do, too. Sorry!)

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the Maybelline Volume lip stuff? I can't find it anywhere.

Rachelle

Jae said...

Lauren, anything with pinks or mauves will look awesome with your eyes. The one I got would probably be pretty awesome on you.

Rachelle, they've discontinued it, but I've found it everywhere online. I got mine at Fresh Market (the older Albertsons in SF) a couple of weeks ago! I bet they still have some over there :)

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.