Best (and Worst) Beauty Buys

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

I've been writing about beauty products all morning for another site (I'll post the link when it goes live) and so I might as well review some products while I'm at it, right? I am such a beauty junky, it's really bad. So at least reap the benefits from my utter lack of self control so you know what (and what not) to buy. As always, click the pic to follow through if you want to be exactly like me and who doesn't I mean honestly.

Let's do it.

Avalon Organics CoQ10 Repair Cleansing Milk ($11.99)


I swapped my usual facial wash out for this stuff when my skin started getting dry over the summer. I also felt like after turning 30, it was time to up my game a little skin-wise. And I freaking love this stuff. It makes my skin uber-smooth and when I don't use it for a couple of days, I can totally tell in the texture. It also smells like oranges and takes of my makeup, so it's earned a permanent spot near my sink. And my heart.

But mostly my sink. My heart is full of dog videos and the last episode of Outlander. Tell me I'm not the only one.

Cailyn Art Touch Tinted Lip Gloss Stick ($19)




















At first, this color seemed waaaaaaaaay too dark. But after putting it on, I was pleasantly surprised. The color is very sheer, and ended up being a cross between rose and berry. Wanna see it on me? OK.


















See? Not overwhelming, but just enough color for fall. It's been my go-to for the last week.


Maybelline Define-a-Brow Pencil ($7.99)


Usually I'm all about brow powder for when I want to clean up my Groucho Marx face. But when I'm in a hurry, I don't have time to do the whole routine. I use this pencil instead when I'm rushing now. Yes, brow pencils can be too severe, so I always draw once, and smooth it over with my finger twice. It'll reduce the harsh lines and look more natural that way. This has been an "OMG, I totally forgot I was supposed to be at the school today" lifesaver.

Vintage Glam Texturizing Powder (I got it for $8 at Sally)




















Hellllllo nurse! This stuff is such a well-kept secret in hair land. You know when people magically have flawless, volumized hair and you're like "WTH I honestly can't even stand her right now"? It's this powder. It puts a little grip and substance in thin hair so you can do an updo or just sprinkle a little at your roots for lift. Seriously. I love it. I know BigSexyHair also has one called Powder Play that I liked as well, but this one had a prettier package so it won and I'm shallow.

e.l.f. Pout Perfector ($2.99)


Yeah this wasn't one of the most exciting things I've ever gotten from e.l.f. (Seriously, the HD Lifting Concealer comes with me everywhere). It's just a glittery lip gloss that looks OK over lipstick or whatever. Ehhhh. Not great. I do have to buy more concealer though, so if you have a fave e.l.f. product, I would super love to hear about it because I am incapable of just ordering one thing.

Tints and Sass (stupid name) Lip and Cheek Stain ($23)





















For $23, this stuff should literally transform me into Charlize Theron. But alas, while it was passable on the lip side, the cheeks were like, negative 12 on the blendability factor and I ended up looking a demented Raggedy Ann.

Reviva Glycolic Acid Toner ($6.59)


I have used Glycolix pads  for about a year and I love them, but they required militant-like sun protection, which is annoying during the summer. So I swapped 'em out for this toner, which I use with the cleansing milk above. So soft. Want to touch the hiney.

Except I obviously use this on my face. Makes it super smooth and has even help reduce my aggressive forehead wrinkle, which I never shut up about.

L'Oreal Glossy Balm ($7.99)


I bought this at Walgreens while having immigration photos done because I felt awkward about *just* buying pictures. And it's OK. I love the texture. It's really more on the lip gloss side of things, despite clearly looking like a crayon. But the color kind of intensified as I wore it, which resulted in like, a saturated bubble gum. I wouldn't be adverse to trying a new color, because I really did like the way it feels. But me and Babydoll here are consciously uncoupling.

Benefit They're Real! Mascara Mini ($10)


If you're really into long lashes, this stuff definitely does the job. I'm more of a fat lash gal myself, but I've been reaching for this and popping it into my overnight bag a lot lately, because this gives a lot of drama and impact without having to add a lot of eyeliner, eyeshadow, etc, etc. Worth the $10 for the mini? Totally. I'll probably buy more when it runs out.




Alright, I've divulged my secret shame and purchases. Your turn. Anything you've loved or hated lately? Wanna steer me in a direction to funnel my online shopping addiction? Feel free, totally.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Total beauty junkie, too! Doesn't matter if its Ulta, Sephora, CVS or Target -- the beauty aisles will get me in trouble. Also, Outlander is amazing!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's it, I'm going to Walgreen's tomorrow.

What does the texturizing powder smell like? The packaging is divine.

I discovered Hada Labo, which is a Japanese skin care brand. They specialize in products that have an ingredient that I can't spell right now. I chose this:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/hada-labo-tokyo-replenishing-hydrator/ID=prod6203845-product

And I like it very much.

Elise said...

Tints and Sass...pics or it didn't happen. LOL.

Jae said...

Elise lol!! For Halloween maybe?

Nora, I totally went and sniffed it because I didn't remember there being a scent and I was right. I'm pretty sure it's scent-less or I've lost my sense of smell. Either one.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.