What I Wore: Birthday Girl

Monday, July 14, 2014

 I'm home and it's amazing! While I'm pretty outgoing, I consider myself to be an introvert, especially when it comes to being around other people. I'll join the group and have fun, but being with others completely drains me and I need to recharge with alone time.

So it only makes sense that I would go and help run a camp for 400 girls for five straight days, right? I shared a cabin with 20 people, taught a workshop, tried to explain to 200 girls at a time how to make a bracelet (which wasn't frustrating AT ALL), forgot matches, and sat out a torrential downpour.

It was totally fun and dirty and exhausting, but what I found to be the most challenging was never being ALONE. When I was finally done and pulled my Jeep off of the mountain where the camp was held, I was literally almost in tears just because for the first time in five days, I was all by myself.

I went home and because my kids were still with their aunt, I enjoyed like, a whole hour of Jae time before my family burst through the door and I was officially recharged. And, since Saturday was my birthday, I didn't have a lot of downtime. We went to my favorite breakfast place first thing and then spent the day shopping for new sunglasses (I could not have been MORE indecisive but ended up with a sweet pair of Wayfarers) and then my husband and I went out for our anniversary dinner (yes, we got married on my birthday) and for a little more shopping. SO basically, it was my perfect day. Shopping + Food = Happy Jae.

On the way home, we stopped to grab a cake for my family birthday dinner, and ended up with this giant hamburger, which I couldn't stop laughing at. My kids basically thought it was the best thing ever.

So yeah. Lots of camping, a seriously well-deserved nap, almost crying from relief, hamburger cake, 11th anniversary, and turning 30. That's what I did last week.

Oh. I also wore this:

Top: American Eagle (similar)
Skirt (Arden B) (similar) (also pretty close!) (plus)
Shoes: Nine West (similar) (these are adorable) (sassypants)
Earrings: F21 (here)

I'm totally craving my routine again, which always happens when I'm away. It felt sooo good to fire up my computer and eat toast while checking my email this morning. YES I am aware of how sad that sounds. What can I say? After 30 years, old habits die hard. 




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We missed you! Congratulations on joining the old lady club.

I am astounded at what you pulled off at camp. I just don't know that I could handle that many kids.

Jae said...

Haha thanks, Nora! And yeah, it was a TON of girls this year. I'm surprised everyone survived and left unscathed. Mostly ;)

Melissa said...

So... you don't know me but I've been following your blog for quite awhile because I like your style and you crack me up. And not to sound like a creepy stalker, but we literally have the same birthday! I turned 30 on Saturday, too. CRAZY! I've always loved my birthday because I'm a huge math nerd and I realized early on that 7*12=84. But is it just me or is 30 a hard age to adjust to? It sounds so much older than 29 for some reason... Anyway, happy birthday to you!

Jae said...

What the what!? That's awesome. And I have never once realized the 7*12-84 so my mind is actually blown right now. I'm still working on adjusting! I don't feel much different, but I feel like I should like, buckle down and refinance my house or something mature like that

Allison Hill said...

I totally feel your pain. I'm running (as in 100% in charge of) a two week children's theatre camp and we started week two today. It's 6 hours/day and the kids are ADORABLE but I kind of want to sit in a dark room all by my self and not move right now.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday, Jae! I hope you enjoy your 30s, I love being in my 30s and hope that when I hit 40 this year it will be my best decade yet! By the way, shudder about the no alone time; If I don't get a completely silent and peaceful day to myself every once in a while I don't feel sane!

Anonymous said...

Avril, I'm almost 37 and my sass-mouth has gotten more pronounced since my 30th birthday. I love to think about what it'll be like in my 40s, so yeah, looking forward to it, too.

Unknown said...

Is it girl's camp you went to? Because I went to it here BUT, I had to be on the bus with the girls to and from camp since I am YW camp director. And halfway home, the middle bus broke down that had 3 of our girls on it. I went into Mama Bear mode (since there were 3 seats available on the non-broken down bus that I and all our other girls were on) & frantically grabbed my 3 girls and all their stuff and herded them onto our bus. I was NOT going to be stuck on the side of the freeway for another hour+ waiting for the back-up bus! I wanted to get home to my precious alone time!! So I totally understand how you feel. Oh, and I'm 53!! :) And I love your blog!

Unknown said...

I am really impressed that you can be recharged after only an hour of alone time! I'm also an introvert and would need at least a day after an experience like that. I was the den leader for my son's Cub Scout day camp last month ( 20 7-year-old boys every day for a week) and felt like locking myself in the bathroom for several hours each night. Anyway, love your blog :)

Jae said...

Al, yes it was girls camp and I was director this year too. And I would have done the exact same thing. I actually left a bit early so I wasn't actually there on my bday and it glooooorious.

Dinah, it's weird but I can recharge as long as it's JUST my family around. Anyone else and I start getting all drained and cranky again. lol.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.