8 Ways to Feel More Confident in a Swimsuit

Wednesday, July 3, 2013



(I heart my pink ruffled swimsuit and not caring!)

I've spent A LOT of time in the swimsuit fitting room lately. The Mr. and I are headed to Maui next week for the birthaversary and I wanted some new suits. I've bought three in the last week which might be a little out of control. Also, I got this epic sunburn from a day at the reservoir from my strappy one-piece. Don't worry, it's only turned into the world's worst tan line. I'll be hanging at the pool trying to get rid of it today.

Anyway, I was thinking about swimsuits in general. Love 'em or hate 'em, summer means you have to wear 'em. I feel pretty confident in my swimsuits but there are days where I just want to hide and wear a snowsuit to the pool, especially after I look at Jessica Biel. So I've gathered up some tips to feel more confident in your swimsuit so you fear the pool no more. Honestly, it's too hot to worry about how you look.

1) Get a tan. Not a real one. Hello, that's dangerous. But a fake tan? Yeah, it definitely makes me feel more comfortable in a swimsuit because it camouflages some imperfections that I don't like -- like the scar I have on my belly from being burned by a bad monitor in the hospital. Yeah that happened. I use Jergen's Natural Glow because I'm too spazzy to do a one-shot tanner, but I will get a Mystic Tan on occasion.

2) Be nice to yourself. Guess what? Your body has been through a lot, especially if you have tiny humans following you around as a result. It's time to be nice to yourself -- like, the kind of nice you are to your friend when she wears a cute new suit. I gained a size with each pregnancy and it took a while to realize that I'm not 17 and will never look 17 again. 17 year old Jae had freakishly elastic skin. Not gonna happen again. So I've learned to be nice and recognize that I still have to give my bod credit.

3) Slap on some mascara. I won't go to the pool fully made up with perfect hair, but I will put on some waterproof mascara (I'm using waterproof L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes lately) and make some sort of effort with my hair -- usually a side-braid or beachy waves aka not blowdrying my hair and using mousse. Call me shallow (because I totally am) but it makes me feel pretty.

4) Quit looking at everyone else. I think -- as women -- we have the tendency to size up every other woman at the beach. You know who doesn't do that? GUYS. Because they don't care one bit. Women, on the other hand, are busy comparing cellulite and creating some sort of sick scale, gauging where they fall on the measure of bathing suit hotness themselves. I know because I've done it. In the past few years though, I've learned to not compare myself to other people in swimsuits. Some are bigger, some are smaller but we all feel pretty darn vulnerable in swimwear. Nowadays, I keep to myself.

5) Wear what you love. I kind of hate arguments like "You should wear a modest bathing suit because men will think dirty thoughts," "Chubby? Wear that full piece like it's your job" and "No boobs? Wear a swimsuit with lots of interest at the bust." How about this one? "WEAR WHAT YOU WANT." I don't discriminate when it comes to swimwear. If you try it on, feel good in it, then wear it. One-piece, two-piece, bikini, dress for YOU and no one else.

6) Sneak in a workout. This is completely mental, of course. Going for a run one time before you hit the beach isn't going to change the way your body looks. But I know I always feel better in a swimsuit after I've made an effort.

7) Stand up. Please. Posture will seriously help the way you feel in your swimsuit -- and make it less obvious to everyone else that you'd rather just crawl into a hole and die. Head up, shoulders back, abs engaged. Do it.

8) Remember who/what you're wearing a swimsuit for. Look guys, you're not competing for Miss America here. You're taking your kids to the pool. You don't have to look perfect. There's no judge awarding points and no reward for being the skinniest person at the pool. Hiding on the sidelines because you aren't "beach ready" just means a lot of sweat and your kids missing out on having you get your splash on. Yes I just said that. But you know what I mean. Swimsuits are simply devices that allow that to happen.

I saw this graphic circulating on Pinterest. Mind the language, but I thought it was pretty funny/truthful.

BOOM. 


Repeat after me: It's just a swimsuit. It does not define your value as a person/level of hotness/your entire belief system. The sooner you learn that, the easier it is to suit up, head to the pool and float around in all of your confident glory.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Perfect sentiments! I love the graphic.

Jenna Foote said...

Yes, oh YES. Especially to the posture thing. Just be confident. Act like it ain't no thang that you're one step away from nudity. That's what I always say.

Jae said...

Seriously, I probably notice the girl trying to hide way more than the one who just steps out all like "Whatever it's just a swimsuit."

Unknown said...

Jae, you are so right. We do the best we can with what we have and who cares if it's not perfect (what is perfect anyway?) And thanks for recommending the L'Oreal Million Lashes mascara - it's fabulous.

A Mormon Mommy said...

I love this! And another thing I have learned is that I may not be the smallest person at the beach/pool, but I won't be the heaviest either! Makes me more confident! Plus, I have worked really hard for the size 8/10 body I have right now, and dang it, I am going to rock it!!

chloe said...

Brilliant post!!

Anna @ A Dash of Quirky said...

This is a great reminder! It's just a freaking swimsuit.. Time to get out and have some fun! :)

spacegeek33 said...

The nicest post on swimwear I've seen in YEARS! You rock Jae. (Esp as we have a pool/BBQ today... sigh)

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.