What I Wore: Shopaholic

Monday, April 22, 2013


I totally forgot that as part of my Cheap Tricks, I wrote an article for MoneyCrashers.com-- Check out Cheap Swaps and Alternatives to Expensive High-End Makeup Brands to find out where I splurge and steal when it comes to makeup. I knew I was forgetting something!

Speaking of being cheap, this week is the end of my shopping diet and I could not be happier.  It has dragged on way too long. I do the diet because not only do I tend to spend a lot in May, but it's interesting to see how often I default to shopping. Bored? Shop. Mad? Shop. Stressed? Shop. Have a spare five minutes? Shop. It's insane! Want to shop? Shop! Instead I've taken to organizing my closet to see what I have on hand. I will not say that I've been "shopping my closet" because that's obnoxious. I'm just wearing stuff I already own geeeez.

 When I went out to lunch for a friend's birthday last week, I dug out some old standards.

 Chambray: Urban Wear
Jeans: Calvin Klein
Flats and earrings: Ardene (Canada)
Watch: XOXO
Glasses: Buckle
Bag: Coach
When I don't have a supercool, brand-new piece to showcase, I fall back on color. Going all monochromatic and grabbing some bright flats saved this from being too plain Jane until I can shop again. Also, bless my mother's heart because she took pity on me and sent me down a few pairs of flats to help me get through shopping withdrawal. 
 Ugh my little brother took these pics while he was here visiting and he's so much taller than me that all these pictures make me look like a miniature pony. When really I'm more like a moderately-sized pony. Note to self: find shorter photographers.

Chambray options for those of you not currently dieting:


 So here's my question today -- what do you do when you get that itchy shopping finger? Because I just did some damage in the home organization section at Target to stop me from buying shoes. On the bright side, my desk IS more organized. On the other hand, it was like an alcoholic drinking a wine cooler. I cannot be satisfiiiiiied. Any ideas?
 

5 comments:

Nathaly Blalock said...

Children's Place 70% off sale to buy some cheap clothes for the kiddos? Just spent $23 on like 8 items. Score. But everything is going way too fast. By the time I went to check out, a few items were no longer available, thanks to other moms with speedy fingers. Anyway, gave me my shopping/getting a deal fix and I don't feel guilty. PS you look adorbs.

Jennifer Wells said...

I came close to confessing two things that I do, then cringed at how lame I am.

I'm taking my secrets to the grave!

Jae said...

What? Now I MUST know.

And Nat, I default to buying stuff for my kids a lot. lol. Sometimes Gymboree deals are really good too!!

Jennifer Wells said...

The article you posted is helpful for me because it seems that the more I spend on a lipstick (telling myself that I DESERVE it!) the more likely my three-year-old is to paint our floors with it. Then I get mad.

Jae said...

Um yeah! Also, I think I'm just cheap at heart. I think it's coming from a big family. My brain automatically goes back to being a 16 year old and getting as much makeup as possible for as cheap as possible lol. I feel like I need to talk to a therapist about this. And my fear of confrontation. Wow this comment got out of hand.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.