Freaky Friday: Love Letters

Friday, April 5, 2013

Ah, you guys! My kids went to the cabin with their grandparents yesterday evening and I've been home alone since. So far, I've done exciting things like: eat ribs like a motherflippin' ladyboss, go to Wal-Mart, stay up late to watch Jimmy Fallon with my husband and work with very loud and inappropriate Robin Thicke music playing in the background. It's glorious, especially after a week of Spring Break where I felt all this pressure to be the best mom ever and take my kids to every crowded, overpriced activity we could think of. I have big plans to catch up on all the HBO I DVRed last week, watch wedding shows and do my hair. I'm giddy.

Unfortunately, I'm on my annual April shopping diet, otherwise I'd be using this mama time-off to hit up stores. It's killllllling me for real. I'm going for a girl's trip in a few weeks, so I can binge then but for now, I'm trying to stay away from online shopping. And to do that, I'm writing love letters to some of my favorite mom-related celebs and public figures that I've been thinking of lately.


Dear Gwyneth Paltrow:

So I noticed that you're back trying to make me hate you again. And you're doing an excellent job, I might add. When you released your "Spring Review" aka "Spring Humblebrag About How Rich You Are", I'll admit that I was curious. After all, if you're spending $450K on clothes this spring, I can only assume you purchased excellent pieces that can be worn in a variety of ways for seasons to come.




 And yet... I was so wrong. Instead, you showed pieces that would work on no one. Not even yourself. And yeah, I know you worked hard on that toned belly by eating baby food and doing the idiotic Tracey Anderson method for two hours every day, but I still don't want to see your stomach. I actually don't want to see anyone's stomach outside of a pool or beach. And I DARE you to wear those orange metallic shorts again. DARE.

Kisses,
Jae

Dear Kim Kardashian

Sweetie. Honey. Baby. Muffin. Cinnamon Buns. You have GOT to start thinking about maternity clothes for me. Look, I know you want to be cool and sexy during your pregnancy. We all do. But it's OK to show off your bump -- don't cover it up. Sure, your babydaddy is a huge douchecanoe and is probably a jerk about you shopping a A Pea in the Pod like normal people, but he doesn't own you. Seeing you stuff your belly into high-waisted pants or hiding it under huge flowy dresses makes my heart hurt.




Also, pregnancy is NOT the time to go with a strapless bra. Because now my heart and my back hurts. You're a millionaire. You can do better than this.

Check out Jessica Simpson, who is doing a MUCH better job with clothing this time around:



 Can we just make a tight shirt and cute blazer like, the uniform for maternity clothes? That would be greaaaat.

Thanks!
Jae

Dear That Person Who Wrote the "Dear Mom on the iPhone" Letter I Saw on Facebook:

I honestly wanted to write a whole tirade about this because it irked me so bad. But I've calmed down and now I'll just say a few things.

1) Hey, other people who aren't parents to my kids -- wanna stop judging me for it? As long as mine are fed, clothed, sheltered and safe, I'm doing my job and you don't need to worry. I've got this.

2) My kids actually don't need me drooling and clapping like a seal over everything they do. Not every trip down the slide is going to be the best ever. Sometimes, it's just a routine trip to the park and I don't need to bring a DSLR camera to document every movement.

3) Let's face it: Kids are pretty mediocre most of the time. It's just mommy blogs, Instagram and judgey article writers who make it sound like your child is just a magical fairy dust moment waiting to happen in perfect lighting. We're spawning a generation of moms who plunge into deep depression when they have children and realize that most of the time their kids smell like peanut butter and have hobo hair and do stupid things like trying to be ninjas and hurting themselves and then what will they blog about???

4) I'm checking my phone because I'm emailing a client. I work. I actually want my kids to see me working. My work is important to me. One day, I want work to be important to them too.

5) I'm taking my kids to the park and that should be super-mom enough. I consider this a triumph because they could be inside watching SpongeBob. Don't ruin that for me. 

6) "Your little boy keeps shouting, "Mom, MOM watch this!" I see you acknowledge him, barely glancing his way. He sees that too. His shoulders slump." 
Excuse me while I vomit. You know what moms need right now? More guilt. Because they don't have enough from everyone else already. So now, not only do I have to feel guilty that my kids don't eat an all-organic diet, go to private school or read at an 8th grade level, I have to feel guilty each time I look at my freakin' phone. I was actually looking for something else to feel guilty about, so thanks for that.

7) Stop watching me at the park. It's creepy.

Love forever,
Jae

Dear Josh Duhamel:

You're adorable. I read an article that said you called Fergie giving birth "a beautiful thing." And yeah, it's pretty special. But be prepared for the not-so-beautiful parts too. Because giving birth is also pretty slimy.

With warning,
Jae


Dear Amanda Bynes' Mom:

I don't know if you realize this, but your daughter is having a mental breakdown. Like, stage 5, Michael Jackson dangling a baby out of a window capital-M Meltdown. Where are you? You need to go scoop her up, bring her home and bake her shepherd's pie while watching a Downton Abbey marathon like a good mother.



This is a cry for help.  A really badly-dyed cry.

Lovingly,
Jae


Dear Holly Madison:

You named your child Rainbow.




















So I guess we're assuming she's not becoming a lawyer?

In all seriousness,
Jae



Whew... that felt good to get off my chest. It's your turn! Anyone you'd like to write a passive-aggressive note about? Because I want the dishy dirt while I watch wedding shows!




28 comments:

Lauren said...

Amen to the iPhone segment. I had the exact same reaction.

Wendy said...

Dear Jae - I couldn't love you more than I do right now. Great post! Kisses all around, Wendy.

Jae said...

Lauren, glad to know I'm not the only one. Actually, my first reaction was "STFU NOW." But I calmed myself.

Wendy, I love you also. So much love on this blog I can't even handle it!

Melissa said...

Thank you. That is exactly how I felt about the iPhone post. I'm already giving my whole life to be a mom and I'm supposed to feel guilty for checking facebook for 5 minutes. Really?!? And let's be honest, sometimes looking at other people's lives is the only thing keeping me sane here. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way. Bad moms unite!

Jae said...

Melissa, you must glue your eyes to your child's every moment. You're not a person anymore... you're a mom!

For real, my kids might not make it through the day if I didn't have an iPhone to check.

Anonymous said...

Ok.. I got one
Dear Stacy and Clinton,

While I love your show and all that your trying to do for humanity... can you please take the weather where people live into consideration? I mean really,what you call the mom on the go uniform? I love a good pair of jeans and cute top with a completer piece such as a jacket or cardigan as much as the next girl....but I live in Atlanta (aka HOTLANTA) where in the summer it can be 100 degrees with a relitive humidity of about a million percent...so can you guys figure out how to make a Tank top and panties both age appropriate and suitable for public?

Love Jen

Unknown said...

Thank you for the iPhone segment, hate the guilt people try to put on moms, like we don't put enough on ourselves. Jen I love your letter to Stacy and Clinton.

Jae said...

Jen, another one for Stacy:

At the beginning of WNTW, you bring a shoe to your face and it looks like you're sniffing it.

Just thought you should know,
Jae

Lauren said...

Re: iPhone Mom article

8. It's ok to teach kids that they're not the center of the universe. Seriously, parents need to quit hovering so much.

This reminds me of a really good article I read not long ago: Why Being Left Out Can Be a Good Thing for Kids. It's as if parents have forgotten how to actually *parent* and only want to indulge and spoil their kids these days.

Nathaly Blalock said...

I love this all so very much. And I read this all to the music played during Jimmy Fallon's "Thank You Notes".

MPES PFA said...

re: iPhone Mom. K, I'll admit, I did go on a rant several months ago about a mom spending the better part of an HOUR trying to get her toddler to get "just the right" picture on her DSLR. Judgey, I know. But it's kind of the opposite end of the spectrum: there's this scary class of mom's that seem so fixated on making everything LOOK perfect to STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET that they don't put down the cameras long enough to just enjoy the freaking moment.

Jae said...

AH, I totally agree. Plus, I get annoyed when I'm at the park with my kids and I have to sit around and wait because a parent is trying to get the perfect snapshot of their child on the swings and I don't want to get in the way of the picture. Like dude, it's a Wednesday afternoon you do NOT need to capture this for posterity.

Jae said...

PS Nat hahaha that's exactly the background music I intended.

kaycee said...

I can only hope and pray that the idiot that wrote the iphone article reads this letter. Perfectly written. Touche.

Jennifer Wells said...

I was at the deli of a grocery store with my 3-year-old. They have a really, really good bakery there, so I thought I would treat him to something tasty, just the two of us. He was kind of rocking in his chair, a little bit. An employee at the restaurant approached me and said, "Ma'am. Ma'am. I don't want him to fall down."

It was so incredibly nosy and ridiculous. She was an older woman, so I was polite, but also deeply resentful.

Jen said...

ha ha! loved them all!

Rebecca said...

I love the last one on the iphone letter, it's great!

Charity said...

Love it all! You crack me up girl!!

Heather said...

http://growinginashrinkingculture.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/in-defense-of-the-iphone-mom/

You'll like this.

Mrs. Davidson said...

Is that food clinging to Amanda Bynes' face or a weird piercing? Wow. It is sad for sure.

Way too much belly-gazing and weird competitive parenting by some.

Mrs. Davidson said...

Is that food clinging to Amanda Bynes' face or a weird piercing? Wow. It is sad for sure.

Way too much belly-gazing and weird competitive parenting by some.

bequi said...

Dear Mom who wrote that "quit making little holidays a big deal" post:

How bout we just leave all the moms alone. You let the moms who like doing big holidays do their thing, and they'll let you ignore St. Patrick's Day and Memorial Day and whatever else.

Or, If you want everyone to stop spending time on the little holidays and overdoing birthdays because it makes you look bad, there are a few other behaviors I want moms to stop.

All you moms who are amazing bakers: Quit it. I can make 2 kinds of cookies. You baking more than that makes me feel bad about myself.

All you moms who have a clean house. Just let it be messy so I won't feel like a slob by comparison.

All you moms who take amazing photos of your kids and then photoshop and tweek them, knock it off. All I bring with me is a camera phone. It's not fair for your kids to look so much better in photos than mine.

(Are you seeing how ridiculous you look when you tell someone to stop a behavior?)

Sincerely,

Mom who is sick of the juedgers

Val said...

Ha Ha I love the I-phone segment. Thanks for representing the real moms. I feel better about my girls and their hobo hair.

Jessica said...

I never comment but the i-phone letter was so amazingly awesome that I had to let you know. Thank you.

By the way, the video of your daughter opening up the American Girl doll was beautiful.

I have four children myself and have never seen such gratitude and happiness from a child.

Jae said...

Aw, Jessica what a sweet comment!

Janelle said...

That was hilarious!! All of it. Thanks for the laugh.

Janelle said...

That was hilarious!! All of it. Thanks for the laugh.

Unknown said...

www0817
vibram fivefingers shoes
ralph lauren uk
jordan shoes
tods outlet
pandora
moncler
off-white clothing
ugg boots
skechers outlet
off white outlet

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.