What I Wore: Moab Love

Monday, April 9, 2012

OK, so this is going to be the weirdest "What I Wore" ever, mostly because this is how my internal monologue worked last week.

Inner self: Jae, you really need to take pictures of a cute outfit for Monday.
Smug actual self: Relax, inner self. I've got plenty of time.
Inner self: You look cute today! Just get your child-photographer to snap a shot.
Smug actual self: Yes, but Real Housewives of Orange County is on! And Alexis is still pretending that her nose job was for "Sinus issues!" Plus, it's going to be Easter, and I shall wear something floral and lovely.
Inner self: You're a jerk.

I should have listened to inner self, because I put it off all week. When I woke up Saturday morning, my husband rolled over in bed and asked if I wanted to drive down to Moab. Moab is 3.5 hours away and it was the Easter Jeep Safari. The Mr. drives a Jeep, so it was kind of easy to tell his motives. But, we put it to the kids and to be honest, the idea of heading somewhere warm when there was snow on my lawn sounded pretty good. SO we went.

And I wore flipflops all weekend long.

And I did not dress nice for Easter. In fact, I wore day-old shorts on Easter instead.



We hiked up to Gemini Bridges, a place where there are two natural bridges spanning over a massive canyon. Here I am in my not-cool clothes, scared for my life while hanging over the canyon. PS, bringing your hyperactive three year old to a place where ten feet of rock separates you from life and death made me have a minor heart attack. NEVER AGAIN.



Not to mention the trail leading up to the spot is hollow. Here's a teeny me and Hubs demonstrating how quickly we could have tumbled to our deaths. YAY.


We also hit the sand hill, AKA kids paradise. Sand as far as the eye can see and about 150 feet in the air. It was the best workout I've ever had. This rock was a quarter of the way up. I was so tired I wanted to lay down and sleep for three days.


Here was my impeccable strategy for climbing. Crawl on my hands and knee, with my head down like a dog for 10 yards, then lay down and pray for the sweet release of death. PS those are my kids above me, laughing as they climbed up for the third time. Ugh, kids are the worst.

Also, after I slid down the hill, you could see my bum trail from roughly a mile away. You're WELCOME, people of Moab.

So basically, we swam, we ate, we hiked, we Jeep-ed, and then we got home sunburned last night. All without nice shoes. Seriously, if you're local, you should definitely check it out. We used to go when we were kid-free, but this was out first time taking the mini-mes. They slept sooooo well last night.

So, my inner self was right. I should have taken cute pictures earlier. But it was fun and I don't care.

Did anyone else do anything fun over the weekend? Do you shun me for my flip flop wearage? Of course, you could also judge me for skipping out on church on Sunday AND watching Real Housewives of Orange County, but you're going to have to choose one.

7 comments:

Misty said...

Flip flops are like crack for me. I love them so much. Someday dressing like a homeless person will be in, and then I shall take over the fashion world. Muah hah hah hahahaha!

Marisa said...

Our Easter service was so lackluster that I would rather have been in Moab too, even though I did rock a cute outfit yesterday. We went to Moab last year and now my kids want to live there!

Jae said...

Misty, I'm not gonna lie. I was sick pf my flipflops by the end of the weekend. But mostly I just wanted my TOMS, so that's not much better at all. Lazy shoe wearers unite!

Marisa, I forgot that Moab was so fun for kids! Like... um, hello Jae ,why did you not think of this before?

Unknown said...

Hey I grew up in Moab, and live 30 miles south. My husband loves Jeepin', I like walking. I try not to drive into town for the week before and after Jeep Safari. My kids love to go to "Potatoe Salad" to watch the jeeps. Hope you got all the sand out of your ears!

Jae said...

Oh, it's SO crazy down there... every place you go is just packed. We hit the trails later in the afternoon and it wasn't so bad ,but trying to go out to eat was bananas.

Jennifer Wells said...

Glad you had fun! I live in a really cold place, no desert to visit, boo.

jen bryner said...

my palms started sweating seeing the picture of you sitting on the edge of the cliff!!! BACK UP FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!

also, a world without flip flops is not a world i want to live in...they make my toes so very happy in the summer :)

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.