Freaky Friday - NO REALLY

Friday, April 27, 2012

Sorry for the lack of posting around here this week. With friends and family in town, blogging has taken a backseat. Plus I'm tired all the time and I've spent the week eating Canadian snack cakes that my mom brought with her.

So I have the best Freaky Friday story to tell you guys to make up for it. It is actually freaky!

Last night I had been out with my mom and some of our old friends from Canada, and we got home just before 11pm. I kissed the kids and hopped into bed. I'd spent the day walking, so I was totally beat. I fell asleep in like, two seconds. At about midnight, both my husband and I woke up to a weird squeaking sound. It was pouring rain outside, so I thought it was just the fan in our bathroom getting hit with like, hail or something. I told my hubs that it was nothing and to go back to sleep.

Well, the squeaking kept going. Finally, my husband got out of bed and started hunting around the room. We have a little air conditioning unit that we keep in our room because even though we have central air, I'm psychotic about it being cold when I sleep. I saw him stare at the unit for a second, and then announce "There's a bird in here." See, the unit has a hole that vents to the outside, and he figured that the bird had flown into the vent and then somehow into the unit itself.

So, since there is no way to access the inside of the A/C, he went and got a screwdriver and started taking it apart while I hid under the covers. Have I ever mentioned that I'm scared of birds? Well, I just did. I'm SO scared of birds. I don't like erratic movements and they tend to dart around a lot. Plus they have beaks. Beaks are just scary.

Also, my mom let me watch "The Birds" when I was like, a fetus. I feel like I was too young.

Finally, my husband realized that the only way to get the bird out of the AC out would be to turn the unit upside-down and try to shake it out of the little vent holes on the back of the machine. Since he needed my help, I had to leave my safe blanket cocoon to hold the unit upside-down while he shook it. We're pretty technical.

So, I was sitting on the floor, hoisting the AC in the air my my husband started shaking the bird toward the vent holes.

Which is when the BAT flew out.

Now, if I'm afraid of birds, bats make me want to cut my skin off and set it on fire. They are terrifying.

SO naturally, I ran screaming out of the room. Followed closely by my husband. We slammed the door shut and had a short conference in the hallway. It went like this:

Me: What the eff was that!?
Hubs: I think it was a bat.
Me: A BAT!? (Assume fetal position, begin rocking and thumbsucking.)
Hubs: What do we do?
Me: Ummm open the windows! Yes. You will run in there, open the windows and then run out again. I will support you from behind the couch.

My husband decided he would bravely head back into the room and open the windows in the hopes that the bat would fly outside. But he needed protection first. I ran to the mudroom and came up with his leather motorcycle jacket and a broom. Because I always care about fashion like that.

Armed with the broom (WHY is a broom always the first line of defense against bats?) he ran in there like a madman, opened the windows and ran back out again. We stood in the hall for three minutes and hoped it flew out. When we went back in the room, we started searching for the bat, just in case. Then, my husband found it.

Hanging upside-down from our ceiling. Asleep.

Naturally, my husband's inclination was to hit it with the broom. While I waited a safe distance behind the couch in the living room (to be honest, if I could have left the house completely, I totally would have), he swatted at it with the broom. Which is when the bat came flying at his face.

With ninja-like reflexes, my husband managed to panic so badly that he turned to run out of the room, but instead got the broom lodged against the dresser. Which then tripped him. He went face first onto the carpet, while the bat frantically circled around his head. I was hiding behind the couch when he came crawling out with a huge welt on his leg, his leather jacket, and his Buddy Holly hipster glasses a tad askew.

We still had no idea where the bat was. When we went back into the room, we couldn't find the stupid thing. We even went the safe route of putting one of our bar stools on top of the bed. I held it while my husband climbed on top to see if the bat was hiding on top of our closets (I should note that we have a vaulted ceiling in our bedroom. Great for interior design, terrible for bat hunting.) We still couldn't spot it.

So my hubs took the broom and started stabbing at my clothes closet. By now, it was about 1 a.m. and I was tired. Our new plan was to leave the windows open (in 40 degree weather, natch) and go sleep on the couches.  I thought the bat might have flown out, but I was too scared to sleep in our room.

We each downed a Tylenol PM (I WAS HIGH STRUNG OK) and set up camp in the living room.

The best part?

I still have no idea where that bat is. I can only imagine it plans on going on a killing spree when I'm being vulnerable, like getting out of the shower or trying to sneak in an episode of Arrested Development while the kids are sleeping. The windows are still open. My house is freezing cold. I'm excessively tired. And I'm scared of my closet.

So that's my Freaky Friday for today. There is a bat somewhere in my house, plotting my death and wanting to bite my face and I can never sleep in my room again. I swear, if it's chewing on my shoes, I will write a strongly-worded letter to Batman himself.

Batman. You and I are not friends.

Regular Freaky Friday will resume next week, unless I've been turned into a vampire. In which case, I will too busy searching about vampire babies on Yahoo to post bad fashion.

"About three things I was absolutely positive. First, there was a bat in my house. Second, there was part of him — and I didn’t know how potent that part might be — that thirsted for my blood. And third, bats are dirty little rat-birds and I wish they would die."


17 comments:

Justin said...

Worst experience OF MY LIFE.

Jae said...

Na na na na BATMAN

Sheriece said...

I want to CRY laughing.

Jenna said...

I love that your husband commented about it. Must have really been bad.

But seriously, you are hilarious. I'm glad you have these experiences because they sure brighten my day. Ha!

jen bryner said...

PLEASE tell me you've seen the scene with the bat in "the great outdoors"??? if not, you must go to youtube and watch it. i'm sorry to say, i laughed while reading the post...not that i'm not sympathetic!! it was just really funny imagery :)
on another note...i got a new job!!! yes, very exciting. but now i need to dress in "business casual". *gulp* i don't want to look old and out of style so, do you have some tips?? for 5 days a week i would like to look NICE! i've been working at home on my computer for the past 6 years so my wardrobe has largely consisted of comfy pjs with my hair in a messy bun. HELP ME JAE!!! and may you sleep easier to night :)

Beth said...

OH my gosh! You just made my day!

So many wonderful tidbits in there.

A reference to the best TV show of all time. CHECK

A jab at Twilight. CHECK

Thanks for the belly laugh!

Unknown said...

OMG - Kill me now, I would have to move. I'd be on the phone with Realtor and packing boxes, in my 40 degree house wearing full head and body protection. Something like this http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/colt-navy-seals.gif but with less skin showing LOL

Unless of course I could find solid evidence that the bat had vacated my human space. I'm talking SOLID. Like, dead outside in the yard.

Jennifer Wells said...

WHY, bat, WHY??

Meg said...

I am also terrified of bats. My husband and I rented our house out (built in 1948) and he went in just before the renters moved in to get something from our basement. There was a gross smell so he and his dad checked the garbage disposal and there was a dead bat. He didn't reveal this information to me for an entire year. And I wish he would have kept that gem to himself. When he told me I was nursing my 2 month old and literally *almost* threw him down bc I was dry heaving. My hubs said I was being redic

Deveny said...

hahahahah oh my gosh, I'm dying. The imagery of your story is just the icing on the cake.
"BAT - Y YOU NO FLY OUT WINDOW??"

Misty said...

Birds are my #1 nemesis. I currently have a robin banging its head on my basement window every morning. The hubs says I'm overreacting, but I know it's trying to get in to kill me. The same thing happened last year. I'm sure it's the same bird. It wants my blood.

Nathaly Blalock said...

Hilarious. I choked on my virgin mojito while reading this. Totally worth it.

Emily said...

Ok, I know it must have been a terrible experience, but... HAHAHAHAHA! I commend your story-telling skills. And to think that I flipped out when a little spider tried to attack me this morning...

Natalie said...

Amen to everyone else...SO FREAKING HILARIOUS!!! (assume fetal position and thumb sucking) HAHAH!Oh how I love the dynamics at your house. I wish you had it on tape...it seriously sounds like an episode of some hilarious TV show. Friends, maybe??? I hope you can find the little bloodsucker!

Karen said...

I hate the online phrase LOL because I don't think most people actually LOL when they write it. But I gotta tell you - I LOL'd reading this post.

I think I'd just move rather than wait to see if the bat really went away. It's safer that way. ;)

Brittney said...

Bahaha hilarious! It's just too bad it wasn't on tape. ;)

Penny said...

flying rats? yuck, never in my life have I been more pleased that NZ is bat free.....although we have possums and apart from making great fur blankets (they're a pest so its PC to wear them!) they are terrifying if they get in your roof, but at least you get the pleasure of buying something made from them...bat leather shoes?

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.